Did I Overreact?

MartinWY

Site Supporter
If theres no right of way and he has no other legitimate right to be there, then you're completely reasonable to refuse him stepping over since presumably he is tresspassing and you arent. These covid e-bikes as I call them are a real pain in the arse. Not the bikes, it's the people. I'm all for people getting outdoors, but a lot of people who've done so inside the past year are those who literally have zero experience of the outdoors and probably have never interacted with anyone in such circumstances before. It leads to discarded dog poo bags, facemasks, costa coffee cups, enormously wide public footpath tracks through arable fields etc etc.

It's a bit like the covid puppies. Such things are easy to spot in the park. Ill trained, aggressive and over exciteable or some combination of the same, and thats just the owners.

On balance, I'd say you were being pretty reasonable, since you know perfectly well that if he'd damaged anything he'd have ridden off at 15,5mph, the top speed of his bike. Mind you, thats being cynical. Not everyone is dishonest.

MartinWY

Site Supporter
It's not a through route really, the lake is contained within an otter fence all the way around, if he wanted a nosey around why not leave the bike at the gate and take a walk (it's only 5 minutes around)?
E-bikes cost thousands of pounds so that would explain that. I mean, decent ones cost £5k easily, top end, £12k. I'd understand not wanting to leave that locked to anything, even boris johnsons leg. If he has no business being there though, its his problem regardless, not Neils.

PJ Rothwell

Site Supporter
E-bikes cost thousands of pounds so that would explain that. I mean, decent ones cost £5k easily, top end, £12k. I'd understand not wanting to leave that locked to anything, even boris johnsons leg. If he has no business being there though, its his problem regardless, not Neils.
You wouldn't need to lock up a bike near Wellingborough, I know people call it the armpit of Northants, but its a gentile place really ;)

Guy Incognito

Midport Angling Club
I can only imagine your reaction if he had tried to step over your pegs 😆

You did the right thing, i don’t step over my own pole so I certainly wouldn’t allow anyone else to do it.

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
I am never too happy if someone tries to step over my pole, had an impatient arse walking past at Barston last year, who stepped over my pole and clipped it, set it wobbling, lucky he never broke it, I let him have a mouthful……..

cyanide kid

Site Supporter
Neil, I was further up from you in a match (about 100 yards) and i heard the conversation. My pole was nearly touching the fence when i looked round and saw he was waiting for me to ship out. Your comments obviously had an effect. By the way there seemed to be a lot of people walking behind us all the match.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Should’ve thrown him and his stupid bike in the lake 👍👍
We’re separated at birth ? 🤣

I have never to my knowledge stepped over anyone’s pole nor shall I. Not only for fear of breaking it but, more out of respect. It’s one of those unwritten rules. It’s just something you just do not do. Sorry but, step over or break anything of mine and the best you can hope for would be a swimming lesson.

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
I dont think you overeacted

especially considering its a club pond and private, the pushbiker should have waited until you were ready to ship out again,

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
Maybe so but, it’s Neil’s £8 pole and not ours. Let’s show some respect. And yes, I do know that you are only joking.
I think it cost £600 12 years ago, MAP M16. No idea what an equivalenty replacement would be today, particularly as I have amassed at least 12 topkits.

By the way, I had one carp at 13m. Livened up an otherwise slow afternoon. Lost the heart to fish that long after the altercation.

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
Neil, I was further up from you in a match (about 100 yards) and i heard the conversation. My pole was nearly touching the fence when i looked round and saw he was waiting for me to ship out. Your comments obviously had an effect. By the way there seemed to be a lot of people walking behind us all the match.
I assume your match was tough. I stopped catching after around 11 having started at 9:30. Only a couple of roach and a solitary carp in the afternoon once the sun got fully up. First thing I had some crucians, skimmers and a couple of tench. Strangely three skimmers and a small hybrid on the pellet feeder (6mil hard pellet on the hook) while setting up the pole.

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
I assume your match was tough. I stopped catching after around 11 having started at 9:30. Only a couple of roach and a solitary carp in the afternoon once the sun got fully up. First thing I had some crucians, skimmers and a couple of tench. Strangely three skimmers and a small hybrid on the pellet feeder (6mil hard pellet on the hook) while setting up the pole.
very similar to my match saturday,

at the off, I had the advantage of shadow cast on the water from a large tree, it spread over all my peg from right to left

caught reasonably well while it was there, as the sun swung round behind me and its shade decreased, my catch rate got slower and slower, until just one small skimmer in the last hour

Nunachuk

Nunachuk
Site Supporter
By coincidence, I was walking around a lake yesterday, (with my bike) when....................................................................LÖL

Rick123

Site Supporter
I dislike anyone near me when fishing anyway. One it can scare the fish as i often fish in the margins. Two, I know people that have had gear stolen from so called, anglers. And three anyone can be clumsy and break a pole, rod, would they stump up for a new one, no way. Right on Neil mate.