Did I Overreact?

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
Let me start by saying that I am very tetchy about people stepping over my pole when it is shipped in and on its rollers.

Today I was having a pleasure session on Wellingborough's snake lake. One thing I wanted to work on (shock warning!) was long pole to the island, 13m. The peg I was on has only 7m or so to the otter fence behind so double unshipping is required. During the afternoon I had the pole shipped in while re-baiting when a voice behind said "Don't worry, I'll climb over it". I looked round to see a guy wheeling his battery powered bike. I told him fairly forcefully that there was no way he was climbing over my pole with a bike. I shipped it out the way and asked if he understood how expensive poles were.

He answered yes because he was an angler. My response to that was to further tell him that I would not expect another angler to talsk about climbing over my pole with a bike. He seemed to take umbridge at the forthright manner of my addressing him, though I am sure I didn't swear at him. He wandered off calling me an effing old barsteward a few times. In that he is probably not wrong in assessing my character when someone is about to endanger my pole.

I possibly overreacted but I felt I had to take command before he hoisted his bike over my pole and did something I would regret.

I should point out that the lake is in its own grounds owned by the club with nowhere to go other than round the lake and it is not a public right of way.

Does anyone else get upset when people try and climb over their pole?

Total

Site Supporter
He needed reminding and you did just that....Don't worry about it, move on.....;)(y)....(and I allow no one to step over my pole(s)....I don't care who you are.....(y)

Cobweb

Site Supporter
He should have known better and you were right to reprimand him. I get sensitive enough about my rods watching out for mindless stompers let alone what it might cost to replace a pole/section.

Capt Birdseye

Site Supporter
Let me start by saying that I am very tetchy about people stepping over my pole when it is shipped in and on its rollers.

Today I was having a pleasure session on Wellingborough's snake lake. One thing I wanted to work on (shock warning!) was long pole to the island, 13m. The peg I was on has only 7m or so to the otter fence behind so double unshipping is required. During the afternoon I had the pole shipped in while re-baiting when a voice behind said "Don't worry, I'll climb over it". I looked round to see a guy wheeling his battery powered bike. I told him fairly forcefully that there was no way he was climbing over my pole with a bike. I shipped it out the way and asked if he understood how expensive poles were.

He answered yes because he was an angler. My response to that was to further tell him that I would not expect another angler to talsk about climbing over my pole with a bike. He seemed to take umbridge at the forthright manner of my addressing him, though I am sure I didn't swear at him. He wandered off calling me an effing old barsteward a few times. In that he is probably not wrong in assessing my character when someone is about to endanger my pole.

I possibly overreacted but I felt I had to take command before he hoisted his bike over my pole and did something I would regret.

I should point out that the lake is in its own grounds owned by the club with nowhere to go other than round the lake and it is not a public right of way.

Does anyone else get upset when people try and climb over their pole?
By coincidence I was fishing yesterday , also up to an island where double shipping is required because of a road that runs through the fishery for access for anglers and holiday caravans. What crossed my mind was if I was to get my pole damaged by a car or other traffic who would be responsible?
Its a day ticket water so Its classed as a commercial
To be fair Ive not had a problem as most drivers are alert to the fact that their may be a few metres of pole suddenly protruding across the road,
and its not always possible to see approaching traffic due to anglers parked cars

Pompous git

Site Supporter
If it was me with the bike I would wait for the coast to be clear but then I`m an angler.

Wether we like it or not and wether on a club lake or public towpath it is the pole angler that is causing the obstruction and should
ship accordingly.

Alantherose

Site Supporter
Neil, hard to answer with any insight as tone is impossible to gauge without hearing the interaction. Maybe you overreacted, maybe he was in the wrong, maybe you could all have done better.

In my experience, if you have to ask the question it’s indicative of a pricked conscience therefore maybe you could be gentler next time... or chase him like a whirling dervish with a pointy bank-stick 😜

Chris Calder

Site Supporter
No other angler should try to step over a pole, so no you didn't overreact, plenty of times I have asked people to hang on a sec while I move it, most have been absolutely fine about it.
But was on an open match and a regular pegged next door to me decided to go on walkabout just before the all in, saw him coming and said hang on and I'll move it, he said I'll step over it, all got a bit heated as I insisted I will move it, few choice words !
After the match most of the other regulars commented on it and said I was in the right and the guy needed putting straight as he was one of them people who always had an attitude.

JayBee

Site Supporter
1623606996149.png Hi Neil, here's some attire to assert your presence when disputes arrise.

carphauler

Barbel Tickler
By coincidence I was fishing yesterday , also up to an island where double shipping is required because of a road that runs through the fishery for access for anglers and holiday caravans. What crossed my mind was if I was to get my pole damaged by a car or other traffic who would be responsible?
Its a day ticket water so Its classed as a commercial
To be fair Ive not had a problem as most drivers are alert to the fact that their may be a few metres of pole suddenly protruding across the road,
and its not always possible to see approaching traffic due to anglers parked cars
You would be responsible, I doubt the fishery would accept responsibility and if it's shipped across a road or path it's not the drivers either, I used to have this at some fisheries with roads/tracks around them, luckily most drivers were aware of the situation.

Whisker

Site Supporter
Although people trying to get by can be an inconvenience, I’d rather get my pole out the way before they even had to ask. For the sake of a little effort and a few seconds, the inconvenience and cost of breaking a section (or 2), just isn’t worth the risk.

If it was me walking, I’d wait patiently but if they knew I was waiting and they were just being plain ignorant (as happened at a match the other week, 3 of us with barrows waiting to get to our pegs), I would step over their pole no problem.

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
Neil, hard to answer with any insight as tone is impossible to gauge without hearing the interaction. Maybe you overreacted, maybe he was in the wrong, maybe you could all have done better.

In my experience, if you have to ask the question it’s indicative of a pricked conscience therefore maybe you could be gentler next time... or chase him like a whirling dervish with a pointy bank-stick 😜
Spot on, I think I did possibly speak a little harshly. But I was in a place that really no one should be walking. Its not a public park or zoo (ooh, look at the anglers).

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Sounds to me like he was the one who overreacted. Sometimes a stern word can trigger the fight or flight response in people.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Definitely not unreasonable to be annoyed about him attempting it so provided your tone was amicable I’d say he was the one overreacting.

John Step

Site Supporter
You were right. He said he was an angler. Was he a club member and if not was he trespassing?
You get these richardheads that think any piece of land is theirs to trespass on.
Despite our club lake being well signed as private and keep out you get these types saying I was just looking and wont do any harm.