Dialling the 111 service

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
what is a PSA check ?
It is a blood count, called Prostate Specific Antigen. the results always take your age into account, the lower the PSA number the better. Upto aroun 4 is considered safe, above 6 can be cause for concern. Not everyone who has a high PSA has cancer,
If you are experiencing any waterworks problems the docs will normally ask for blood test and this will be included if prostate feels enlarged.

Last edited:

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
I ended up in hospital with kidney stones a couple of months ago. Like Warrington63, I too was given Tamsolusin. Not sure what it does but it turned my balls into a newtons cradle..... :eek:
It's supposed to stop you going for a pee a lot , and rushing to find a toilet,

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Warrington has already said it but, just because your PSA count / level is high doesn’t mean it’s cancer. A urinary tract infection ( UTI ) such as I had can temporarily raise your PSA level significantly. I have had Prostatitis and that raised my PSA to silly levels also. Always best to go have yourself checked out choose how embarrassing you think it is.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
I've just had, hopefully got rid of, a UTI which resulted in an enlarged prostrate and the need to pee everytime I stood up.
Had a PSA done as part of a load more blood tests (thanks to Mick's advise ;)) and that flagged the red alarm bells at the GP's leading to an exam (nice female doc with no false nails ;) ). This showed a smooth prostract so it was diagnosed as an infection and a course of antibiotics followed.
Aparently it's connected to my heart conditon - weird and wonderful.

TBH the exam wasn't that unpleasant, WO told me all about sticking things up my bum anyway ;), but he could have said something about the gel :eek:

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
I've just had, hopefully got rid of, a UTI which resulted in an enlarged prostrate and the need to pee everytime I stood up.
Had a PSA done as part of a load more blood tests (thanks to Mick's advise ;)) and that flagged the red alarm bells at the GP's leading to an exam (nice female doc with no false nails ;) ). This showed a smooth prostract so it was diagnosed as an infection and a course of antibiotics followed.
Aparently it's connected to my heart conditon - weird and wonderful.

TBH the exam wasn't that unpleasant, WO told me all about sticking things up my bum anyway ;), but he could have said something about the gel :eek:
You had a female doc.
you could have got a male doc whose hand can make holding a bowling ball look like a ping pong ball . ?