Dialling the 111 service

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
Thats what I was told... tea and coffee don't count... you need to drink at least 2 litres of water a day (beer don't count either)

This is an interesting piece of advice that I often hear repeated. Given that I have had my colon removed and dehydration is therefore a potential problem as it is through the colon that most fluid is absorbed I have read plenty about hydration and rehydration.

All rehydration drinks like Dioralyte are formulated to balance the body's internal chemistry. Rather than drinking plain water to rehydrate it is much better to use these drinks. The reason being that plain water can actually remove vital salts and minerals from the body through osmosis. To some degree it is the low levels of these substances that can create the symptoms of dehydration. So water could make those symptoms worse.

Personally I rely on tea, coffee and milk and rarely drink plain water. Since my operation 14 years ago I have never suffered from dehydration. I consume some five pints or more of fluid in a day, but as I say in the form of milk & tea mainly, coffee occasionally.

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
This is an interesting piece of advice that I often hear repeated. Given that I have had my colon removed and dehydration is therefore a potential problem as it is through the colon that most fluid is absorbed I have read plenty about hydration and rehydration.

All rehydration drinks like Dioralyte are formulated to balance the body's internal chemistry. Rather than drinking plain water to rehydrate it is much better to use these drinks. The reason being that plain water can actually remove vital salts and minerals from the body through osmosis. To some degree it is the low levels of these substances that can create the symptoms of dehydration. So water could make those symptoms worse.

Personally I rely on tea, coffee and milk and rarely drink plain water. Since my operation 14 years ago I have never suffered from dehydration. I consume some five pints or more of fluid in a day, but as I say in the form of milk & tea mainly, coffee occasionally.

The doctor said to me to avoid drinking my normal intake of coffee, as caffiene is a bladder irritant

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
Sometimes your kidneys pass little bits of solid matter (small kidney stones) into the bladder sometimes one gets stuck in the tract or knicks the urethra wall causing swelling and infection... hence the pain... and I sympathise mightily... had it a few years ago... take it easy Mick look after yersen...?

Addendum...
Get to a docs when you can and get a blood test to Check PSA counts for prostate trouble too... just to be on the safe side
Yes i was going to say kidney stones ,been there done it and it is so painful its untrue

The Landlord

Site Supporter
The doctor said to me to avoid drinking my normal intake of coffee, as caffiene is a bladder irritant
I've heard that before & when I think about it, I can have three or four pints of lager & not go. Two cups of coffee though & I'm doing the Lambeth Walk all the way to the bog.

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter

I should have said that all my drinks are decaf. Caffeine has a very bad impact on my internal pouch (colon substitute) and I would be on the toilet 20 times a day were I to ingest it regularly.

rudd

Site Supporter
OMG - do you mean our pensioners are dehydrating due to lack of fluids caused by the Torys :eek:

The b'stards, I'm going to form a petition and get Tracy and Karen on it :bounce:
Are the Welsh allowed to draw water from their well - or is it non essential ?

rudd

Site Supporter
I drink alot of coffee and have found at times it can give the internals a right clean out.

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
Two sodding UTI’s in the last 4 years. Not good. Both times I had a fever. Like trying to pee razor blades. Seven days of antibiotics cleared it up both times. My PSA level went through the roof at 27.4 but, it’s down to 2.3 now. I #### myself. Thought I had prostrate cancer. When you can get yourself in and have your bloods done. Good luck pal. ?
I had similar, but I was peeing blood as well. I could feel it coming on, and it was like a dull ache and being kicked in the nuts, got tablets that cleared it, Around that time as well I got a blood clot in my leg,Had a PSA check done as because I was having blood tests done for prostate before Imoved to oxford, but these seemed to fizzle out due to the dept playing catch up.
Anyway it showed 6.75 , up from just under 4.
I was already on Tamsolusin for water works problems due to prostate, Got put on apixoban for blood clots, am on these for rest of life.
Had 20 biopsies done on prostate, 1 came back showing cancer. I am on active surveillance for this , had choice of radiotherapy ,but oncologist, surgeon and myself agreed on active surveillance due to it being intermediate to low moderate chance of growing.
Am now on an extra tablet called finasteride, this is to lower PSA and hopefully shrink prostate.
So if any of you lot experience any waterworks problems get it checked out, there could be underlying symptoms lurking about,
We are not invincible, even though we like to think we are.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
I had similar, but I was peeing blood as well. I could feel it coming on, and it was like a dull ache and being kicked in the nuts, got tablets that cleared it, Around that time as well I got a blood clot in my leg,Had a PSA check done as because I was having blood tests done for prostate before Imoved to oxford, but these seemed to fizzle out due to the dept playing catch up.
Anyway it showed 6.75 , up from just under 4.
I was already on Tamsolusin for water works problems due to prostate, Got put on apixoban for blood clots, am on these for rest of life.
Had 20 biopsies done on prostate, 1 came back showing cancer. I am on active surveillance for this , had choice of radiotherapy ,but oncologist, surgeon and myself agreed on active surveillance due to it being intermediate to low moderate chance of growing.
Am now on an extra tablet called finasteride, this is to lower PSA and hopefully shrink prostate.
So if any of you lot experience any waterworks problems get it checked out, there could be underlying symptoms lurking about,
We are not invincible, even though we like to think we are.
The only positive ( if you can call it a positive ) is that prostate cancer can take decades to grow. It’s generally the slowest growing cancer there is. Not good having Dr fat fingers carry out a ‘ digital ‘ examination is it pal ? He was only up there a second or so but, it felt like half my lifetime. My mate said .... “ tell the doctor to take his wedding ring off if he wants it back “ wedding ring ? It felt like he was gonna lose his wrist watch at one point. I felt violated. ???

Seriously though guys. If you feel anything unusual down there go get yourself checked out. ?

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Changed my toilet habits over night did moving to decaf Mick. Drinking coffee with caffeine in while out and about I was always thinking where the nearest loo was. Changed to decaf .... problem solved. ?

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
Changed my toilet habits over night did moving to decaf Mick. Drinking coffee with caffeine in while out and about I was always thinking where the nearest loo was. Changed to decaf .... problem solved. ?

the question came about when the doctor asked me wether I was taking anything for the infection

and I replied that I was knocking back my go to "Cure all"

Beechams powders

which are in reality Aspirin (the wonder drug) and a caffiene mix

she said to stop, use paracetamol for the pain and then told me to avoid too much tea and coffee

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
My missus used to have an irritated bladder/bowel and it turned out that switching to decaff Tea worked for her. Now she just needs to cure the irritating bit :D

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
As an aside, the pain in the old bell end when taking a tinkle has reduced considerably after taking the pills

said to the wench about it, and she laughed and mentioned that some blokes pay good money for that being done to them, (I gotta stop her watching those late night channel 5 progs)

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
The only positive ( if you can call it a positive ) is that prostate cancer can take decades to grow. It’s generally the slowest growing cancer there is. Not good having Dr fat fingers carry out a ‘ digital ‘ examination is it pal ? He was only up there a second or so but, it felt like half my lifetime. My mate said .... “ tell the doctor to take his wedding ring off if he wants it back “ wedding ring ? It felt like he was gonna lose his wrist watch at one point. I felt violated. ???

Seriously though guys. If you feel anything unusual down there go get yourself checked out. ?
A friend of mine had his prostate checked recently .
After he had had it done the nurse uttered the dreaded words

"Who was that ?"

emmaemma

Site Supporter
I ended up in hospital with kidney stones a couple of months ago. Like Warrington63, I too was given Tamsolusin. Not sure what it does but it turned my balls into a newtons cradle..... :eek:

160642fishing

Site Supporter

Same here Mick,I went for a bladder inspection after peeing blood,had a pipe put down the old chap and watched as they blasted little specks of what I assumed to be calcium off the wall of my bladder,they said they could have turned to stones eventually,then came the fateful words,"while I've got you on the table I'll check your Prostate",it probably saved my life as like a lot of blokes I would probably not have gone for a check up volutarily,regular blood tests for my PSA score shows it hasn't progressed at all since radiation treatment.