Des shipp suspected heart attack

alsur

Site Supporter
It's on his Facebook page apparently he had a suspected mild heart attack Thursday before last, he had a stent fitted and is well on the mend.

The Landlord

Site Supporter
Yeah - just read it on his facebook page. Said it was a blocked artery & had a stent fitted. Says he'll be fishing next week.

DevonDangler

Site Supporter
Get well Des, love his advice on YouTube, Mrs Tristar loves the way he says 'carp'

A lovely tribute by him to the NHS staff that I also echo.
I love it when he fishes the “mefferd feeder”, gotta love a Bristolian accent 😘

Cobweb

Site Supporter
Good luck Des. Had my first stent put in in 2003 at St Thomas' Westminster via femoral artery. Agree NHS medico folks in cardio and elsewhere have done me proud. Can't say same about the one's who cook the food though

Take it easy

OldTaff

Site Supporter
Glad to see he listened to his wife and didn’t do the standard “it’s nothing” blokey thing - NHS amazing as usual and I look forward to his next video, learned so much from his YouTube content this last year

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Was very pleased to have one my questions answered by him on a Q&A on youtube. Very helpful stuff. Get well soon.

Paul Cresswell

Site Supporter
Des is a great guy, especially like the q and a series so much that I’ve started using some of his phrases:

bad angling - when I forget to get my disgorger out and need it
thanks for coming - when I change something which works and I get a good fish

MarkW

I had very similar four years ago. He'll be lucky to get out fishing that soon. A one month driving ban comes with getting a stent! It took me about a year to get back to normal and only now am I fully fit.

Cobweb

Site Supporter
I had very similar four years ago. He'll be lucky to get out fishing that soon. A one month driving ban comes with getting a stent! It took me about a year to get back to normal and only now am I fully fit.
You have done really well! I was much more reluctant to do the right thing in reacting to my condition. My status heart wise is approaching "last man standing" at my local hospitalafter 2 MIs and about 10 surgical procedures two of which can be described as angioplasty. I agree Des needs to be very careful. As you know (but others may not) stents are inserted to unblock the arteries so as to allow proper blood flow to and from the heart. The procedure (metaphorically) involves inserting a balloon into a collapsed pipe (the artery)- inflating that balloon to spread the blocking fat along the inside wall of the pipe's structure, and then inserting a piece of rolled chicken wire to keep the fat firmly in place against that wall. The stent solves a problem which would otherwise involve a much more serious surgical procedure to replace the pipe(s) completely. Much depends on how Des reacts and adapts to meet his medical condition. Des's big problem is his weight and the inserted stent cannot address any future artery clogging problems. If you are a smoker (as I was for 32 years) the risk of another cardiac event is much greater. Additionally the adrenaline that competition brings add to the problem

Des is a great guy and angler. I'm hoping that he and we have many more years of enjoying his presence in the angling scene

MarkW

You have done really well! I was much more reluctant to do the right thing in reacting to my condition. My status heart wise is approaching "last man standing" at my local hospital after 2 MIs and about 10 surgical procedures two of which can be described as angioplasty. I agree Des needs to be very careful. As you know (but others may not) stents are inserted to unblock the arteries so as to allow proper blood flow to and from the heart. The procedure (metaphorically) involves inserting a balloon into a collapsed pipe (the artery)- inflating that balloon to spread the blocking fat along the inside wall of the pipe's structure, and then inserting a piece of rolled chicken wire to keep the fat firmly in place against that wall. The stent solves a problem which would otherwise involve a much more serious surgical procedure to replace the pipe(s) completely. Much depends on how Des reacts and adapts to meet his medical condition. Des's big problem is his weight and the inserted stent cannot address any future artery clogging problems. If you are a smoker (as I was for 32 years) the risk of another cardiac event is much greater. Additionally the adrenaline that competition brings add to the problem

Des is a great guy and angler. I'm hoping that he and we have many more years of enjoying his presence in the angling scene
I went through the 8 weeks rehab after about two months by which time I'd had a second angiogram (another driving ban!) to check out other arteries and then a stress treadmill test to see that I was fit enough for the rehab. The take-up for rehab is only about 50%, but I stuck it out and continued with fitness classes through the local heart club as well as getting back into the gym 3 times a week - I had been going to the gym for over 20 years just previous to my 'event', and doing walking every day - after the op the first walks were just 50 yards but with a month up to a mile, now a 2 mile one every morning to get the paper (plus the gym). I had the advantage of never smoking and being 'normal' weight though now lighter than I was 4 years ago, 11 stone compared to 11 - 7. The statins take some getting used to as well; I'm on max dose but now have ideal cholesterol instead of quite high, and some of the other drugs are potent as well, glad to come off clopidogrel after a year.

Yes, let's hope Des recovers but it will take a lot of effort.

Cobweb

Site Supporter
I went through the 8 weeks rehab after about two months by which time I'd had a second angiogram (another driving ban!) to check out other arteries and then a stress treadmill test to see that I was fit enough for the rehab. The take-up for rehab is only about 50%, but I stuck it out and continued with fitness classes through the local heart club as well as getting back into the gym 3 times a week - I had been going to the gym for over 20 years just previous to my 'event', and doing walking every day - after the op the first walks were just 50 yards but with a month up to a mile, now a 2 mile one every morning to get the paper (plus the gym). I had the advantage of never smoking and being 'normal' weight though now lighter than I was 4 years ago, 11 stone compared to 11 - 7. The statins take some getting used to as well; I'm on max dose but now have ideal cholesterol instead of quite high, and some of the other drugs are potent as well, glad to come off clopidogrel after a year.

Yes, let's hope Des recovers but it will take a lot of effort.
My weight is still up by 2 stone and has been the same for years after stopping smoking, but my cholesterol level regularly sits around 3.5. Not been able to have proper check ups since Covid.

Clopidogrel is an anticoagulator as you know and it is dangerous to stay on that drug for more than a year. I do remember being regularly spaced out on those things and I too was glad to see the back of them. I now take enalapril, nicorandil, atenolol, aspirin, and monomil (isosorbide mononitrate). I also take atorvastatin for the cholesterol. Those pills represent the bulk of my 17 a day repeat prescription ingestion. Sadly I can no longer keep my weight down through exercise as mobility (old football injury) and breathing difficulties complicate things

Agree Des has a lot of different things to come to terms with and it will be tough for him - fingers crossed here!