Derwent

rd115

Slava Ukraini
Site Supporter
Going this afternoon, on my own again so any catch shots will look pants :D May possibly turn into an overnighter, looks like the wind dies down when it get's dark so can look to try different peg with less cover.

i'll be going about 3pm but not fishing right away, need a bit of a reccy further downstream towards the Trent, growing tired of fishing the same 3-4 pegs and fancy a change, so i'll have a wander and see if anywhere else looks suitable. Might be a bit futile if there's a bit of water on, i won't know where the shallows end and the depths begin.

Will report back in later :)

rd115

Slava Ukraini
Site Supporter
Just lost another Derwent fish 😔

Rookie mistake this time, forgot to double check my drag before disengaging the baitrunner and *ping* 12lb line snapped like cotton as soon as the fish bolted 😕

Don't know if I'll get another chance tonight, it has been very quiet.

Scribe

Official Supplier of Pork Pies to the Drowners
Site Supporter
It's a beggar when you do something like that mate, have done similar forget to reset baitrunner mode after casting out, set rod in the rest and was re-loading the other rods feeder when looked up to see my rod was no longer facing upwards and had been dragged to the waters edge. :eek: Fortunatelyit it was the upstream rod and the fish was only a 5 Lb Barbel otherwise I dread to think of a barbel getting snagged up dragging my rod behind it and unable to free itself. I am trying to get into a mental routine similar to frefall parachutist that count 1,000, 2,000, 3,000 check canopy, but using cast, dab spool, set baitrunner instead.

Total

Site Supporter
Just lost another Derwent fish 😔

Rookie mistake this time, forgot to double check my drag before disengaging the baitrunner and *ping* 12lb line snapped like cotton as soon as the fish bolted 😕

Don't know if I'll get another chance tonight, it has been very quiet.
Jeez, if you did the simple things right you'd have caught a shed full!:p;).....Pull yourself together mun!(y):ROFLMAO:

rd115

Slava Ukraini
Site Supporter
:whistle:

I'm sure my net only weighs 1.65lb :unsure:

20210929_225743.jpg

Arch

Site Supporter
Get in.

Being in the right place at the right time is everything. Looked perfect last night, but I blanked in the Trent.

Well done 👍

rd115

Slava Ukraini
Site Supporter
Thanks guys 🙂

There seemed to be about 6 inches of water on after the rain we had, but realistically it just brought the river back up to where it should be rather than really low. Had the faintest colour to it but was still quite clear.

Tried fishing the far side crease as I'd normally target but there was too much rubbish coming down and in an effort to be kinder to my back my rucksack only had 2oz leads and feeders 🤦‍♂️ could hold in the flow for a bit but within 20 minutes too many leaves built up on the line and the leads went trundling through the swim.

Managed a single chublet early on to a single grain of corn but there wasn't really much interest in either rod. I was starting to think the influx of cold rain had killed it.

After a while I decided to target the nearside slack water with both rods, I figured if there's detritus coming down then this is where the fish will be holding up waiting for bits of food.

Both rods moved over to boilie with a pva bag of pellets and chopped boilie dangling off the hook. Fished no more than a rodlength out with occasional wayward underarm fling ending up right under the rod tip (annoying overhanging trees crowding my peg, need some 10ft rods 🤬)

Right hand rod I'd managed to tie the hair too short after fumbling around in the darkness, so was only fishing half a boilie, but this rod claimed the first run and lost fish and also the 3rd run and second capture of the night so clearly wasn't an issue 😀

So the result is I'm into the doubles club finally but I felt this would be the year. Hopefully next year I can get amongst the proper specimens of 15 or 16lb 👀

Scribe

Official Supplier of Pork Pies to the Drowners
Site Supporter
WooHoo :band: :beer-toast1: :beer-toast1: Great result mate even more deserved for sticking out the weather. :upthumb: :upthumb:

rd115

Slava Ukraini
Site Supporter
An Otters just swam through the peg, don't know if that's going to kill it for a while 😑

Yuccaman

I like fishing.
Staff member
Site Supporter
Gone out this evening for a little session after coming back from honeymoon, PB is now a little over 12.5lbs 😀
Well then... you can flipping stop that... beat mine by a pound and a half :p Cracking fish

rd115

Slava Ukraini
Site Supporter
Well then... you can flipping stop that... beat mine by a pound and a half :p Cracking fish

Just need to get yourself a PoD ticket again James 😀 there some proper big fish in this stretch, I'm sure I've lost 2 bigger ones a couple of outings ago, just couldn't stop them running. Need to try heavier tackle I think.

Yuccaman

I like fishing.
Staff member
Site Supporter
To be fair, I've not really targeted them that much this year - a few trips and not many fish. They're coming out for fun at the moment, but I'm getting my head into pike mode now