Derwent

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Looks a lovely spot. Fishing the derwent on a trip to the peaks is certainly on my to do list!

Scribe

Official Supplier of Pork Pies to the Drowners
Site Supporter
Have fingers crossed for you, good luck. :upthumb:

Yuccaman

I like fishing.
Staff member
Site Supporter
How many MD PB barbel have gone in the last few weeks?! Time for another?

rd115

Some of the gear, No idea
Site Supporter
How many MD PB barbel have gone in the last few weeks?! Time for another?
Pfff I'm fully expecting to blank. When I say I'm a Barbel novice its also coming from being an angling novice 😆

rd115

Site Supporter
I know that swim :) Good luck!
If ya get a touch of insomnia feel free to come say hello 👋

Nowt much happening so far, thought I had a run on the left hand rod fishing the far side crease but was just some rubbish collecting my line.

Wrapped the lead in cheese paste and cast back out and had a savage liner within a few mins, think it spooked out of the swim though 🤔

rd115

Site Supporter
Well twas a blank, but i expected it really.

Packed up about 430am, was a bit foggy and all my stuff (and me) was getting a bit cold and damp, wasn't dressed for it really :LOL: had a few strong liners so i don't know if they spooked or were maybe too small to pick up my donkey choker baits?

On the plus side my new RidgeMonkey VRH300 head torch is super impressive, had plenty of use last night, even using the full beam / spotlight and the charge has only dropped one bar, including 20 minute trudge back to the car on full beam. I was awake all night and didn't sleep so had intermittant use over about 8 hours.
Super comfy to wear and really easy to use, was pratting about with it and was lighting up trees maybe 50 meters away? Illuminated my swim perfectly which made casting a great deal easier in the dark.

No super expensive either, can be had for about £40 in some places, very good investment methinks :D

rd115

Site Supporter
Derwent round 2.

Hopefully off out fishing again tonight, depends if i can stop my stupid scheduler giving me jobs at this time of the day in the PE28 postcode, silly bint.
Would ideally like to get there, set up and get some bait out whilst theres still some daylight left.

Have a couple of swims in mind,

This one just below the weir, and round the bend a bit, some nice deep water hopefully.

And one further down, again slow and deep, hopefully being nearer the Trent might be more likely to produce.

have some walking to do though if the first swim i get to is taken :LOL:

IanG1

Site Supporter
Right on my doorstep pal and yet to fish the Derwent on my pride ticket. Presume you park near the bridge in the pride car park and walk from there?

rd115

Site Supporter
Right on my doorstep pal and yet to fish the Derwent on my pride ticket. Presume you park near the bridge in the pride car park and walk from there?
Yeah the locked carpark on Wilne Rd near the footbridge.

There's a lot of styles to lug your stuff over though, knackered by the time i get to a swim haha :D

IanG1

Site Supporter
There were kids jumping off the bridge last Sunday on the car park side so must deepen off there? My fishing is mostly match style tactics so I would have to leave the kitchen sink at home and travel light to fish them areas lol

rd115

Site Supporter
So another blank.

Not sure I'm doing this night fishing lark right.

Spodded (Spopped?) out a bed of bait consisting of hemp, maize 4mm and 6mm pellets and boilie crumbs and fished one rod with lead and Boillie over the top and another one maybe 10yds downstream incase the bait drifts.

Only had a couple small liners on the downstream rod between 9 and 10pm then not a sausage for the rest of the night.

I did have some recasts about every hour with a pva sausage strapped to the lead filled with the same stuff, and later swapped to cage feeders stuffed with hinders cheese paste.

Was having trouble hitting the same mark in the dark, even with a headtorch. Wind didn't help.

How's everyone else go about Barbel fishing at night? Is it about building up a bed of bait in the daylight and then casting out over the top and leaving it, or should I go with a feeder recast every 20 minutes like in daytime?

I would imagine crashing a feeder in at night might spook the fish.

Any clues chaps? 😀

rd115

Site Supporter
After double figure Barbel so not sure i should go finer, fishing 10lb Tournament ST mainline which is more like 6lb Maxima for diameter and 8lb Supplex fluoro hooklengths.