Derwent - Thursday 1st July

rd115

Slava Ukraini
Site Supporter
Hopefully getting out this Thursday night for a Barbel session on the lower Derwent. Had my gallbladder removed a week last Friday and starting to feel a little more human now so will risk an outing and hopefully not burst any stitches :D

Andrew Degville has recently been in action in one of my preferred swims and had a 14lb+ lump out so i'm itching to get back down there :D

Hopefully i'll be amongst them and have something to show for my troubles this season :) This time i have actually got weighing scales and a proper tripod to properly record any successes :LOL:

Scribe

Official Supplier of Pork Pies to the Drowners
Site Supporter
Glad to hear you are on the mend chip.

Good luck with snaring a barbel or several. Let us all know how you got on.

Any plans to get on the Trent ?

Arch

Site Supporter
At the beginning of the Vid he's in the swim I sometimes fish on the Dove. It looks like he's had the same result as me as well. LOL.

IMG_3055.JPG

rd115

Slava Ukraini
Site Supporter
Glad to hear you are on the mend chip.

Good luck with snaring a barbel or several. Let us all know how you got on.

Any plans to get on the Trent ?

I'm hoping to get some days out at Fiskerton on the Trent, heard there's a reasonable chance of a Barbel in the daytime there? Maggot feeder perhaps? :unsure: Be nice to see you there if you fancy a trip down one day :) I'd also love to fish the tidal stretch below cromwell weir (overnight) but think i'd need to go with someone, wouldn't know where to start in a place like that :LOL:

At the beginning of the Vid he's in the swim I sometimes fish on the Dove. It looks like he's had the same result as me as well. LOL.

IMG_3055.JPG

Is that the Burton Mutual ticket and over the back there's some factory? If so he fished there last year i think and had a nice double or two. I've never bumped into him yet but i'd like to, seems to know his onions :)

Last edited:

rd115

Slava Ukraini
Site Supporter
Gradually gearing up for my season. I've replaced my fox edges PVA mesh that i got through pretty quickly last season. Maybe there's a lesson in there not to put so much bait in? :LOL:

Anyhoo, for when i do need to feed i've just topped up my Craft Catcher hemp and maize tub with some goodies.
20210630_101626.jpg

I wanted to get some smell in there is it seemed pretty inert and didn't really smell of anything. So a bag (small 400g or so) of 2mm garlic flavoured micros went in which i'm not sure even smelled that garlicy. :unsure: But hopefully they should help feed off any nuisance fish. I added in a whole 900g bag of Sonubaits spicy sausage 6mm pellets and glugged the whole lot in Good Hemp oil (this stuff smells so much better than the expensive tosh they sell in tackle shops) I'm hoping when i really want to put a good amount of feed in, this stuff will do the job.
20210630_101712.jpg

I've also stocked up on maggot feeders and maggot clips. I really want to start getting out on some rivers in daytime and i think maggot may be the best option, i know absolutely nothing about trotting a stick float so i'll stick to what i know and plonk a feeder out. They're all home made jobbies of eBay ranging from 3oz up to 6oz :)

20210630_103016.jpg

It feels a lot more exciting than going to a still water and chucking a feeder or waggler out :D

rd115

Slava Ukraini
Site Supporter
It's almost that time, car is packed, just getting some last minute charge in me phone before i head out.

Hope my preferred swims aren't all taken o_O

rd115

Slava Ukraini
Site Supporter
Settled in for the night. Last ever outing of my Kodex robo chair before it's donated to @Alantherose hopefully I can give it a good send off by catching a big fat Barbel ๐Ÿ˜€

20210701_203413.jpg

Alantherose

Site Supporter
Settled in for the night. Last ever outing of my Kodex robo chair before it's donated to @Alantherose hopefully I can give it a good send off by catching a big fat Barbel ๐Ÿ˜€

20210701_203413.jpg

Tight lines buddy, and donโ€™t leave too much fish slime on it (Mrs R will slaughter me if sheโ€™s got to drive a hundred miles with the smell of fresh barbel!) ๐Ÿ˜œ๐Ÿคฃ

rd115

Slava Ukraini
Site Supporter
Gotta be bite time soon, both rod tips been rattling with liners ๐Ÿ˜ฏ

Scribe

Site Supporter
Good on you for getting out there chip, How did it go ?

rd115

Slava Ukraini
Site Supporter
Good on you for getting out there chip, How did it go ?

Not a sausage.

Been a weird old night, I think what I thought were liners were in fact bats flying into the line. I turned my head torch on to look for something and kept seeing them whizzing past, loads of them ๐Ÿ˜†

Then just after 1am I saw an otter cruise through my swim heading downstream. 20 minutes later a flock of 10 or so ducks were going mental through my swim heading the other way, otter must have had a go at them.

Then after all that commotion I got a strange bite on my downstream rod. Tip was rattling like mad so I picked up the rod and started to wind down expecting a run but nothing. Kept winding expecting to feel the weight of the lead but there was nothing there. Whole rig had vanished ๐Ÿ˜ฎ I suspect whatever was hooked found some underwater rocks and cut through the line ๐Ÿ˜

But it was nice to get out for a change. Better luck next time ๐Ÿ˜€

Scribe

Site Supporter
Strewth mate Bats, Otters, Ducks are you sure Richard Attenborough wasn't there with a camera crew ? :unsure::)

What mainline do you use, I wonder if an otter swam into the line and dragged the line across some rocks, does sound odd.

rd115

Slava Ukraini
Site Supporter
Strewth mate Bats, Otters, Ducks are you sure Richard Attenborough wasn't there with a camera crew ? :unsure::)

What mainline do you use, I wonder if an otter swam into the line and dragged the line across some rocks, does sound odd.

15lb Tournament ST, tough as old boots usually.

Scribe

Site Supporter
Really unlucky to get that snapped off mate. :(

Alantherose

Site Supporter
Sorry the hoped for barbel didnโ€™t show up mate. I reckon itโ€™s waiting for your first session on that lovely new chair ๐Ÿ˜‰