DePuy Work's match, 9/7/02 , Raker Lakes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Well after a late start and an unusual journey to the venue via Double Decker Bus (more on the story here) we arrived at the venue - Horshoe Lake, one of the lakes on the Raker Lakes Fishery, and first impression were good.
It is several years since I last fished that lake and the transformation as the bankside growth had matured was unbelievable. Every peg had a feature and looked inviting.

We drew our pegs and off we all went for an 11.00am start fishing until 5.00pm.
The water was cloudy with the rain that we have had over the last few days but apart from that it was still, no surface drag and the occasional fish topping. As we strarted to tackle up the rain started once more and it was relentless, a small shower that lasted for four hours, icon_smile.gif.
Previous day's preparations of pellet paste, pellets, maggots soaked in vanilla essence, hempseed, luncheon meat and sweetcorn were laid out, a bit of groundbait mixed for a small method feeder and the call to start rallied around the lake "TIME !!" followed by the usual responses of "Get a Watch" "11 O'Clock" etc icon_smile_big.gif

My choice of tactics: feed the willow to my immediate left, pole line at 8mtrs, method against the far bank close to some overhanging willows. Plumbing the water there was a small shelf at 8m so in went a few handfulls of small pellets, a few of hemp and my hook baited with single pellet on a 14 set to just sit on the bottom.
The weight of the pellet added to the setting of the float which should then indicate the slightest movement.
Nothing came, no bites, not even a sign of interest so a change was called for, fish the willow.
There was the same, still nothing so a change back to the 8mtrs and paste on the hook resulted in a few short, sharp bites but no fish.

Well they were there but obviously not feeding from the bottom so a change in rigs and bait: Small dipper float, 18" to hook and single white vanilla'd maggot.
A few maggots were trickled in around the float and dip - gone - lift a skimmer about 3-4oz.
Steady feeding resulted in more and more of the same plus the odd bonus roach and then, wallop the float dived and a nice Crucian, my first this year, came to the awaiting net.
This went on until about 1.30pm when I thought that I had enough fish there to make my mark but could do with a Carp to add a bit of bulk weight.

Whilst feeding I had noticed the occasional movement in a small clearing opposite so out went the feeder and I took the opportunity to grab a sandwich.
After several casts (including a couple in the tree,lol) nothing other than line bites from the skimmers so the pole came back out.
Bang, straight away into another skimmer, roach, skimmer, roach a Chub icon_smile.gif and another crucian.
By now the rain was starting to ease off but the bites and fish kept coming so it was looking favourable.
Changing to pellet again to see if I could pick up something a bit bigger and I couldn't buy a bite. Corn was the same so I kept on the maggot. Well trained they were lol.

Time finally called and then the weigh in.
At Raker Lakes you are supplied with keepnets and also the owners come around and do the weigh-in which is a pretty good idea.

The results:

1st - Geoff Thrush - 17lb 1oz
2nd - Dave Webster - 16lb 15oz
3rd - Geoff Cooper - 12lb 0oz
4th - Chris Blades - 10lb 11oz
5th - Dean Steele - 10lb 4oz
6th - Ian Dixon - 9lb 15oz
7th - Geoff Hynes - 9lb 7oz
8th - Dave Wilson - 6lb 9oz
9th - Mick Hurst - 4lb 6oz
10th- Harry Blades - 3lb 5oz

Altogether 17 anglers weighed in 99lb 14oz

And here are a few pics (can't have a report without a photo icon_smile_big.gif)

net1.jpg net2.jpg net3.jpg net4.jpg

Thanks to Raker Lakes for an enjoyable day,

And off to the pubs we went alcoholic2.gif

RAKER LAKES, Weldrake, Nr York. N. Yorkshire. Telephone 01904 448793 Web site

Dave

*** 'The Northern Fish-in' - are you supporting it? ***

MALC

Dave,

Good result well done just one question though icon_smile_question.gif

If thats your Groundbait trolly in the second picture can i borrow it as it looks ideal for me

Malc
Fish with Friends @ MaggotDrowning.com

keith

Gandhi
Site Supporter
Good result Dave,

Perseverance paid off in the end.

Keith

Golfs a game for people who can't catch fish

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Good one Dave,
Just one skimmer away from winning!

quote:If thats your Groundbait trolly in the second picture can i borrow it as it looks ideal for me

Don't be silly Malc,that's just his side tray

Peter.

Make Friends,Go Maggotdrowning.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Believe it or not Peter I actually dropped a skimmer of about 4oz into the water instead of the keepnet icon_smile_big.gif but that's how it goes lol

Tight lines,

Dave

martin.

Account Locked
hi dave
a goodresult well done

tight lines.
martin.
talk fishing flip football

Status
Not open for further replies.