Depth finder rig

rudd

Site Supporter
I don't get the hate that people are responding with.

All I've asked is if anyone is aware of a pretied rig that allows me to gauge depth. And yet I am being asked if its a joke or being told to go play golf to try and get a couple of likes!

Bit out of order really isn't it?
Bit of banter thats all.

Get some yellow braid the length of your top kit, loop one end, tie on a flat plummet at the other, take a black permanent marker and a measure.
Make a depth gauge, would suggest 2 inch interval (yellow , black, yellow, black etc) so you can clearly see and count marks as you lower plummet.
You can use this to get depth idea and then select rig accordingly. 😉

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
Uh, this may be a stoopid comment, but I normally tie rigs where the depth correlates to the shotting of the float (0.6g = 6' rig etc).
The 0.1g/foot is a guide not a rule. Thus I have 7ft rigs with 0.2g, 0.4, 0.5 and 1g floats. I may use a 1g float in 4ft if conditions dictate. Hence my generalisation regarding tying rigs to three lengths: 4, 7 & 10ft.

Alantherose

Site Supporter
The 0.1g/foot is a guide not a rule. Thus I have 7ft rigs with 0.2g, 0.4, 0.5 and 1g floats. I may use a 1g float in 4ft if conditions dictate. Hence my generalisation regarding tying rigs to three lengths: 4, 7 & 10ft.
Sure, I understand that.

Maybe it's because I like "doing things differently" and all that (sure I read that tagline somewhere recently) ;)

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
Sure, I understand that.

Maybe it's because I like "doing things differently" and all that (sure I read that tagline somewhere recently) ;)
Well by applying that rule your not doing things differently, you’re just basically doing something that’s been told to you 💁‍♂️💁‍♂️

Alantherose

Site Supporter
Well by applying that rule your not doing things differently, you’re just basically doing something that’s been told to you 💁‍♂️💁‍♂️

D’oh, lol! Of all people here I thought you’d have got my cheeky dig at Neil’s motto.

Hey ho, onwards and upwards 🙄

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
When I was in lincs, most of my match fishing was on my local commercial.

Island pond = arms width + hand to elbow.
Main pond = 2 arms width + hand to elbow.

Margins = half arms width + hand to elbow.

Why complicate things?

Deejay8

Site Supporter
My thoughts on tying rig lengths to match the float size is that the float size to depth guide is based on perfect conditions, with the proviso that you should go up a float size or two if the conditions require a more stable float. And sometimes you might need a longer lash if conditions dictate, and exactly sized rigs don't allow for that. It only takes a few seconds to cut the line and tie a new loop.

iammrb

Site Supporter
I have a rig I use for measuring the depth of swims on venues I have not fished before.

Length of 0.21 with a snaplink swivel at the bottom (for attaching a plummet) and a pollyball fixed in place with shot/stot at 2 ft intervals. It's goes to around 8ft as i'm not interested after that.

Once I've checked out in front, short and down the edge I select suitable rigs.

Carl t

I'follow you L33, I dont fish commies so have a bit of a guessing game most of the time, a devoted rig with a heavy plummet, sliding knot type set up attached to buoyant float? ( haven't thought of exact components im in brainstorm mode grommet! ) attached to Cupping kit and mark Cupping kit and 3 maybe 4 sections at 1' and 6" intervals, could be useful on certain occasions

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Sure, I understand that.

Never mind that. Ask him how he gets that golden lattice crust to sit perfectly on his apple pies. Now that’s a question me and Chefster would like see answered. 🤣🤣

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
It was the same back in the day on the Trent. The guide was a number 4 for each foot of depth. People took it so literally, I saw someone fishing a 3ft deep glide at Beeston, the water was boiling and racing through, playing havoc with his 3 x 4 stick float🤣🤣🤣

Last edited: