Depth finder rig

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
It’s not exactly rocket science, set up edge and mudline rigs on 4ft, deck rigs on 6ft, shallow rigs at the actual depth you want , might cut 6-12 inches off a rig, so what hardly wasteful in the grand scheme of things 💁‍♂️💁‍♂️

Deejay8

Site Supporter
Just make your standard rigs for commercials the length of your topkit. Plumb up, and then decide how long a lash you want, depending on the conditions. Then cut to length and tie a new loop. Simples.
For deeper pegs make some rigs top 3 or 4 length and do the same
For margin/mudline, just make them about 4 feet.
For shallow make to the depth you want to fish at, but leave enough length so you can move the float up and down to find and keep contact with the fish.
It's much better to have just a few standard lengths than having lots of rigs set up at different lengths for different swims, and then using a special plumbing up rig, and then swapping over to an exact premade length rig.

L33

I don't get the hate that people are responding with.

All I've asked is if anyone is aware of a pretied rig that allows me to gauge depth. And yet I am being asked if its a joke or being told to go play golf to try and get a couple of likes!

Bit out of order really isn't it?

Alantherose

Site Supporter

All I've asked is if anyone is aware of a pretied rig that allows me to gauge depth. And yet I am being asked if its a joke or being told to go play golf to try and get a couple of likes!

It's okay mate, they're just being mercilessly sarcastic with you ;)

Now, if you want to see real "hate" on here, then I can point you toward a couple of threads... :whistle:

Alantherose

Site Supporter
Just make your standard rigs for commercials the length of your topkit. Plumb up, and then decide how long a lash you want, depending on the conditions. Then cut to length and tie a new loop. Simples.
For deeper pegs make some rigs top 3 or 4 length and do the same
For margin/mudline, just make them about 4 feet.
For shallow make to the depth you want to fish at, but leave enough length so you can move the float up and down to find and keep contact with the fish.
It's much better to have just a few standard lengths than having lots of rigs set up at different lengths for different swims, and then using a special plumbing up rig, and then swapping over to an exact premade length rig.
Uh, this may be a stoopid comment, but I normally tie rigs where the depth correlates to the shotting of the float (0.6g = 6' rig etc).

chris1967

Site Supporter

lol come off it bud ,i've not read anything that could be classed as hate .After the last two weekends i've had the golf is looking damn appealing let me tell ya :)

Alantherose

Site Supporter
In shallow water, in the edges or on the mudline, i use .4 g floats, that will be in depths of 10-18 inches in summer....equally in winter I might use a .1 or .2 float in 5ft 💁‍♂️💁‍♂️

I sometimes do similar to be honest, but it’s a decent starting point for me 😊

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
I have done that in the past but then you get to your peg, plumb up and adjust your line to suit.

How much line do you end up throwing away off every rig?

Just trying to be more efficient is all.
How many venues do you fish? You surely get to know the depths of the ones you fish.

I tie up rigs depending on float size. Margin rigs will be 2’ and 4’. Open water rigs start at 5’ for 4x8 up to 7’ for 4x18. If I know I am going to a deeper venue, then I’ll tie up heavier floats as required, at the length they need to be. Most venues I fish are from 3’-6’ deep.

It’s not complicated……

Last edited: