Delicate investigations

Barbelcatcher

Site Supporter
A very dear and old friend to me, (for over 20 years) lent her bank card to a family member for the purchase of an item from Amazon last year. The person, who was lent the card, was trusted 100%. However, my friend has noticed on the bank statement several other items being ordered from Amazon, which she has no knowledge of. [My Friend has no internet] I attempted to speak to Amazon yesterday, with friend in attendance, to ask what 2 recent deductions where for. (Small amounts) Amazon refused to give details of the items and where they were sent, saying that we needed to get in touch with the account holder. How can we when they would not give us details,

My friend does suffer somewhat from memory problems, but I am 100% convinced that the family member used the bank card to set up an Amazon account.

How can I/we find our what the articles where - for instance - my oldish friend would not want a 60's mini dress, but perhaps a set of hair curlers, and where they were sent to.

The obvious solution would be to cancel the card, and hence invalidate any account which may bear her bank card details. My friend is absolutely distraught that this has happened, will only discuss it with me, and for reasons I cannot go into here (but I can somewhat understand) , will not confront the person. The police cannot be involved or direct family members.

So how may I get the information from Amazon.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
As card details are stored by Amazon virtually by default, it would not be outside the scope that the family member may well have inadvertently stored the card details without realising and subsequent purchases would default to that card.

Personally I think a tactful approach is all that might be needed, ask the family member if they've bought anything recently on Amazon and inadvertently used the previous purchase card details.

If not possible then cancel the card, you don't need to go into details with the bank, just report it as lost.

160642fishing

Site Supporter
As Dave says,cancel the card,if the family member has been using it to buy things for themselves they aren't going to say anything when the account is not usable.

JayD

As card details are stored by Amazon virtually by default, it would not be outside the scope that the family member may well have inadvertently stored the card details without realising and subsequent purchases would default to that card.

Personally I think a tactful approach is all that might be needed, ask the family member if they've bought anything recently on Amazon and inadvertently used the previous purchase card details.

If not possible then cancel the card, you don't need to go into details with the bank, just report it as lost.

I'm with Dave on this, a tactful approach, would be best. It's possible the account has been hacked, or someone else has had access to the card, and the family member doesn't know about the ordered items. Failing that, if she doesn't want any confrontation, and is prepared to pay for the extra items, then cancelling the card is the most obvious and permanent solution.

John.

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
The other possibility is that they have signed up to Amazon Prime which will take a monthly subscription until cancelled by the cardholder.

MartinWY

Site Supporter
The other possibility is that they have signed up to Amazon Prime which will take a monthly subscription until cancelled by the cardholder.

My parents have accidentally done this twice. The charges would be £7.99 per month exactly, if this is the case.

NickNewman

Cancel the card, a new one will arrive within days. No hastle and piece of mind, plus I would enquire to the family member of they knew anything about it as you recently cancelled the card due to unusual purchases from Amazon.

muskrat

Havin' a Waggle
Site Supporter
My parents have accidentally done this twice. The charges would be £7.99 per month exactly, if this is the case.
They make it really easy to 'accidentally' sign up for Prime.
There's a great big button and all sorts of blurb that let you do it. But you have to look very hard to find the tiny little link that allows you to continue without Prime.

Stumbler

Site Supporter
Your card issuer/Bank would have some very basic information regarding the address used for the transaction, By basic, I mean whether the first line of the address used and postcode matched with yours. They may be able to see that information in full, i.e. first line of address and postcode, I just can't quite remember (It's close to 20 years since I was involved in that line of work!)

Barbelcatcher

Site Supporter
It not Prime - irregular small payments - only adds up to about £30 over 9 months - but the principal. Card will be treated as lost.

AdeB

Site Supporter
It not Prime - irregular small payments - only adds up to about £30 over 9 months - but the principal. Card will be treated as lost.
You may or not be already aware that there is a phone scam doing the rounds where whoever it is that is calling tells the victim that their Amazon Prime is due for renewal and try to get card details. It may be worth alerting the person who's card was being used.

John Step

Site Supporter
There could be many reasons. Your friend should enquire with the person suspected. It may be innocent such as the person now has their own card and has forgot that the account was set up with your friends card. Amazon hold card details and the original may be being deducted automatically.
If not sorted the suspicion will fester.

HawkerMan

Site Supporter
If you have an Amazon account just set up the two step verification where they send a one time password (OTP) to your mobile to enable you to log in or buy anything. I have an Amazon credit card and I can't use it on the internet with out the OTP so it stops fraud unless they steal your card and phone.

160642fishing

Site Supporter
They make it really easy to 'accidentally' sign up for Prime.
There's a great big button and all sorts of blurb that let you do it. But you have to look very hard to find the tiny little link that allows you to continue without Prime.
I fell for that as well muskrat,I noticed 7.99 going out of my bank for Amazon Music,I couldn't remember signing up for it and cancelled,I got Amazon Prime free for a year with BT sport and will have to make sure it isn't automatically reneed at the end of the year.