Deep water.

jimbo1946

Gonna be fishing deep water next weekend.Got no experience of pegs that deep.The pole is the way to go so my question is..
What weight float for depths of 9 to 10 ft?Would 1 grm be thereabouts.Should i use an olivette or just bulk shot.?Probably obvious if you know but we all gotta learn.

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
Three quarters of a gramme up to one and a half gramme could be needed depending on conditions, olivette is neater if you are fishing on the deck but bulk shot is fine.
Thats not really deep water more mid range so just scale up a little to cope with any tow or other movement

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
the track down the centre of my canal is around those depths on my fave stretch

I use nick gilberts slim gimp floats from around 0.5, 0.8 through to a gramme

on the smaller floats I tend to bulk shot at half depth and then string out over the rest for a slowish fall to search through the water, if the fish are high or I get em up with loose feed, I then switch to a shallow rig

the on the deck are oli's with a couple no 10 droppers, olis are set 18-20 ins from the hook

My rigs are all tied to the top 4 length of my pole (inc no1) and are adjusted for length on the bank

jimbo1946

the track down the centre of my canal is around those depths on my fave stretch

I use nick gilberts slim gimp floats from around 0.5, 0.8 through to a gramme

on the smaller floats I tend to bulk shot at half depth and then string out over the rest for a slowish fall to search through the water, if the fish are high or I get em up with loose feed, I then switch to a shallow rig

the on the deck are oli's with a couple no 10 droppers, olis are set 18-20 ins from the hook

My rigs are all tied to the top 4 length of my pole (inc no1) and are adjusted for length on the bank

jimbo1946

Thanks for the replies.Never fished a venue deeper than my topktits.My pullers are not side type so that will be interesting.

Freesolo82

Site Supporter
1 gram sounds a good starting point to me in 10ft, I would put my first bulkshot/olivette 30cm away from the loop for my hooklength
If you are new to pole fishing I would only use carbon stem floats for now wire stem can be a pain and tangle frequently

commieboy257

Account Locked
Gonna be fishing deep water next weekend.Got no experience of pegs that deep.The pole is the way to go so my question is..
What weight float for depths of 9 to 10 ft?Would 1 grm be thereabouts.Should i use an olivette or just bulk shot.?Probably obvious if you know but we all gotta learn.
why does it have to be the pole? I don't have nor want a pole, but for deep water I use a Polaris sliding float. you can use it with a swimfeeder or just a hook length and fire bait over the top. much more versatile.

2lbRoach2hand

I fish deep waters all the time here in Ireland. It really depends on the weather and wind. I'd think nothing of using a 2gram float or more in harsher conditions. Again it depends if this is a natural or commercial venue and the size of the venue and the species you are targeting. I have simplified my pole floats and stick to some tied and tested favs for various situations. Also, don't forget - doesn't matter if its a natural or commercial - even if you are faced with 10ft of water - the fish will want to feed at various depths, so rigs to cover this is essential. For example - Lough Muckno is usually this sort of depth at 13m. On an average day with a lightish wind I will set up 2 rigs for this line. A deck rig with a 1.2 - 1.5 Gloucester Float with a wire stem (wire is much more stable and as long as your bottom rubber on the stem is protruding you will NOT tangle) with an olivette and No. 8 and 9 droppers. Then a strung out 0.5 or 0.75 gram rig with stotz, with a slim body, carbon stem for fishing through the water. Lay this rig in sideways in a straight line and hold a tight line to the float as it registers and you will see the bites on the drop. It's amazing to see as one of these rigs will be better on the day! For deep commercials - I am a huge fan of the long glass stem, diamond shape floats. Like the MW diamond. Glass stems offer amazing stability and are great for fishing on the deck on commercials. Even in 10ft of water (on a relatively calm, small to average size commercial), I'd rarely go above 0.75 gram. Bulk of No. 8 stotz and a few droppers. Again, I'd have a strung out rig to fish through the water and for this I use 2 floats depending on the species you're after. For carp - really hard to beat the KC Carpa 1 floats with the wide diameter tips and for F1's or silvers it has to be the Preston Chianti's.

emmaemma

Site Supporter
The fish might not necessarily be feeding on the deck so I would look to have some shallower rigs set up, especially for on the drop.