Deep or Shallow? Winter Commercials

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I've spoke about this before. On the couple of commercials I fish in winter I have a few favourite pegs. Small Carp and other fish with the odd Bonus tend to ball up in them. They are the deepest pegs on the lakes. We are talking about 8' on a lake averaging 4 to 5'. And about 6' on a lake averaging 4'.

Now I do pretty well on these pegs compared to the shallower pegs around the lake, it has led me to believe that on these venues the deepest pegs are the best. But I've also been told that due to 'thermoclines', the shallower pegs can also be the best pegs on some lakes?

To be honest this winter I'm probably going to stick to the deeper pegs as I know these are most likely to produce, but I do wonder.

Fortunately I've just just watched this excellent Jamie Harrison video where he talks about this, and he seems to think the same as me... fish ball up in deeper pegs, and it's often to do with water clarity as much as temperature, but it's still worth having a couple of lines.

What do you reckon? How is it on your venues as I reckon a lot will be venue dependant.
(Video starts at the right time.)

CJROSCOW

Clint
Site Supporter
Deep parts of lakr everytime in cold weather. Even if they shallow up you can catch. On alot of lakes i fish in winter the bigger fish dont even enter the shallower areas.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
That's my impression too depending on the overall gradient of the lake, so providing we're not talking extreme depth. I was threw before as this is a topic that seems to come up the last few winters on here. I have always said the deepest parts of my lakes fish best and thermoclines only play a part in much deeper or expansive water, but some others seem to report different findings, so there might be a few variables.

davej1981

Generally i look for deeper water. However on ly last session 2 weeks ago i caught few in deeper part of my swim but bagged on a topkit in less than 3ft. Prior to my session there had been a lot of rain which I would’ve thought might have cooled the water temp

Deejay8

Site Supporter
In proper Winter I would go for the deepest pegs. Fish hold up there in the cold weather. Sunny days in Winter are often cold, and the Sun carries little warmth in December, January or early February, so it won't warm the shallow water much, if at all. However in the transitions from Autumn to Winter, and Winter to Spring, the shallow swims can often produce on a sunny day, as the Sun can now warm the water a little. So from now through until the end of November, and from late February through until early March it's worth looking for signs of fish in shallow water on a sunny day.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I'm fishing a 20' deep venue tomorrow. I reckon it's only worth targeting the margins as usual but who knows what will happen.

I also have no idea how a venue that deep would fish in deepest winter.

The Hitman

Site Supporter
I fish Melbury by me in the winter, that is about 18ft. Always catch silvers in the winter fishing method and window feeder. Tamar is deeper, again catch through the winter, again silvers.

Total

Site Supporter
I'm fishing a 20' deep venue tomorrow. I reckon it's only worth targeting the margins as usual but who knows what will happen.

I also have no idea how a venue that deep would fish in deepest winter.
Hurst Farm?......Both pools 20 foot deep in PLACES!!!!.....Not all of it....;)(y)

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Hurst Farm?......Both pools 20 foot deep in PLACES!!!!.....Not all of it....;)(y)
True. Apparently....

A furnace was established at the site, and the pools were built about 1550. The pools were constructed to build a head of water which would drive the furnace water wheel which in turn would drive the furnace bellows. The furnace was located below the dam of the Furnace Pool. The furnace was powered by charcoal which came from Shirlett Forest, which once covered the farm but now runs up to the boundary. The name Hurst means wooded area or coppice. The furnace was here for about 100 years or so before the supply of charcoal dwindled and other areas such as Ironbridge became more popular centres of industry.
You can tell down the middle of the lake I fish, that's probably where the massive water wheel would have sat.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I'm hopefully heading for a peg tomorrow I know has got 3.5 to 4' down the edge. But if you go a rod length out it's a steep slope into the abyss. I reckon on a lake that deep you will be dealing with thermoclines, though on the website it says "20' deep - excellent in winter'. Who knows as there's a load of Roach (and Perch) in there.

Total

Site Supporter
I'm hopefully heading for a peg tomorrow I know has got 3.5 to 4' down the edge. But if you go a rod length out it's a steep slope into the abyss. I reckon on a lake that deep you will be dealing with thermoclines, though on the website it says "20' deep - excellent in winter'. Who knows as there's a load of Roach (and Perch) in there.
Jeez, going to a same old peg you've fished before....How do you expect to learn anything new mate??:oops::unsure:

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
File under 'Always fishing the same peg'. :LOL: I made a thread on that before, potentially a bad habit but if pleasure fishing it gives you license to do it.

Total

Site Supporter
File under 'Always fishing the same peg'. :LOL: I made a thread on that before, potentially a bad habit but if pleasure fishing it gives you license to do it.
File it under 'Boring':LOL:.....Your day, we'll be calling you "3 ouncer mark 2" before long!;).....Enjoy....(y)

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I'll experiment more given time. 4lb+ Crucians in there apparently so you never know.

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
Genuine thermoclines are generally not believed to exist in water bodies as shallow as ten feet, though some degree of stratification might occur. A shallow bay is certainly likely to warm more quickly than deeper water, but that isn't associated with thermoclines.

Here's Carpology's take on it.

Total

Site Supporter
I reckon if we’re being super pedantic most sessions average out at about 3.84 😉
When you treat yourself to some accurate weigh scales, a keepnet and accurately count your fish then you earn the right to be 'pedantic':love:....

Until then you're only kidding yourself.....(y)