Dedicated silverfish pole

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
I had a Zircon for a few years nothing like a DAM pole think more along the lines of a Maver pole before they started beefing them up.

davepellet

I would also add, despite common perception that the Zircon was a fragile silvers pole, I used mine for everything from general silvers up to commercial carp - provided you don't go daft with elastic & line strength & don't try to lever fish out of the water, the Zircon was up to the job

in fact I caught both my personal best tench (7:12) & carp (15:12) with the Zircon... ironically since swapping to the Acolyte Carp, biggest carp I've had is 12lb...

the only time I felt uncomfortable using the Zircon was fishing the margins of snaggy waters

If spares had still been available, I'd probably still own it...

Ben Field

Hi ben when are you thinking of selling the zircon. I have a silverlite atm and whisker 13m to be fair the whisker is not far off the silverlite with a short 4 which supprised me when i got the silverlite. That zircon must be something special. Would you say its similar to the old dam futron/tectron poles, they were real nice for silvers super slim and easy to handle.

Hi ben when are you thinking of selling the zircon. I have a silverlite atm and whisker 13m to be fair the whisker is not far off the silverlite with a short 4 which supprised me when i got the silverlite. That zircon must be something special. Would you say its similar to the old dam futron/tectron poles, they were real nice for silvers super slim and easy to handle.
Much stiffer than the old DAM poles. Proper modern finish too - beautiful non-stick matte finish. A lot like the Shimano style of pole finish. I don’t know what the Drennan Acolyte finish is like, but they had it spot on back in 2010 when these were made. Lighter than more modern poles. They perhaps lack strength because of it, but they likely feel lighter than the Silverlite - which is amazingly well balanced but not the lightest on paper as you’ll know. The Silverlite feels more solid than the Zircon though I feel. Although people did use the Zircon for carp when they first came out. If I fished canals I’d keep the ones I have. The risk of hooking too many carp on a couple of the places I fish though is always there. I believe the Zircon should (and is among those who know) up there with the likes of the original Daiwa Spectron and the Silverlite as one of the very best silverfish poles ever.

Ben Field

I should add, one way to get around the carp issue is by using the kits from the Icon. Dave and Ken will know this. They fit, but the Icon was Drennans top end pole before the Zircon. Icon kits were stronger though.

Thanks for the intresting info Ben. id love to be able to compare it to the silverlite, has you say the balance is great on the silverlite and the no1s are great along with many other features of the pole. I read your review on it and helped me decide in getting one, been dream to use on junky and stainy.
I still think its missing something though i like a slim pole it just feels better to use, but ive heard this will lead to a less stiff pole. Guess you cant have everything lol. Is there much in it between the zircon and silverlite 13m butt sections.

Have you handled a daiwa exceler before one on ebay atm pole only. ive heard good comments about this two been similar to the spectron, i keep looking out for these but dont pop up often.

Anyway ill keep a look out when and if you come to sell the zircon cheers Dan.

Ben Field

Thanks for the intresting info Ben. id love to be able to compare it to the silverlite, has you say the balance is great on the silverlite and the no1s are great along with many other features of the pole. I read your review on it and helped me decide in getting one, been dream to use on junky and stainy.
I still think its missing something though i like a slim pole it just feels better to use, but ive heard this will lead to a less stiff pole. Guess you cant have everything lol. Is there much in it between the zircon and silverlite 13m butt sections.

Have you handled a daiwa exceler before one on ebay atm pole only. ive heard good comments about this two been similar to the spectron, i keep looking out for these but dont pop up often.

Anyway ill keep a look out when and if you come to sell the zircon cheers Dan.
Yes, a lot of these older poles were slimmer. A couple of mm anyway. Increasing the butt diameter is part of the modern way of making poles stiffer. I’m the same as you though and prefer them slimmer.

I’ve bought a few from Europe over the past year or so. I don’t fish longer than 13m so the Euro poles suit me fine. One I’ve used a lot of over the past 6 years is an 11m Spro model that was called the Black Stallion Gold S18. Not the stiffest, but as slim at 9.5m as my Garbolino UK pole at the base of the top 4. Lovely slippy finish too so I’ve used it a lot speed fishing at 9.5m or less.

More recently I bought an 11.5m Cresta Slimliner Pro 910. Only 11.5m because I fish a lot of very deep waters, so distance isn’t necessary and spare top 4 kits are more important. Made by Spro as above, and much stiffer than the S18, though only slightly slimmer than normal modern poles. Lovely, lovely pole for anybody who doesn’t need a long or expensive pole and mostly fishes for silvers though. Though it is a strong pole.

The majority of the “Slim” poles available in Europe aren’t actually any slimmer until you get near the butt sections. The Slimliner is slimmer once you get to the number 5, but only a couple of mm at the 11.5mm butt.

I’ve always had a bit of a thing for Garbolino poles and recently realised how many Garbo kits I have lying around. So, I’ve just bought the new Garbolino XSlim Competition 13m, from their French catalogue. As the name suggests, it’s slim. But this is very high end! And certainly a step in the right direction. Poles have to get slimmer one day, and this one explains a lot about what’s currently possible. It’s actually a bit like the MAP 1001, just in a 13m length, with “kind of” parallel butt sections past 10m.

The way they make slim, parallel poles stiffer is to build the Butt sections more solidly as they go back, so they do get heavier. It makes for a slightly weird shipping experience as the pole can feel butt heavy. After a couple of sessions with it, you just adjust and move your rollers slightly. Mega stiff, well balanced, slim pole though! Much like a Silverlite in terms of stiffness tbh, just slimmer and with a different kind of good balance (butt heavy).

Poles like the Zircon achieved what they achieved through being thinner walled to achieve less weight, so balance with a slimmer butt was easier. So now that poles are stronger and thicker walled, they’re having to add more weight at the butt to keep slim poles balanced.

I’ve never used the Exceler but again (and the Whisker), held in very high regard. I believe older mandrel Daiwa poles were slimmer than the modern ones too? I had a Milo 10-10 (should have mentioned that in my list of classic silverfish poles!) and I believe Milo sections from that era (2000) were from the same mandrel as the Daiwas (although made by Reglass). I have a Milo 13m butt here still and although it’s not as slim as the poles mentioned above, it’s slim by modern standards too!

So, the Zircon is actually slimmer than the Silverlite, all the way through. It can’t be far off it stiffness wise, but the lightness makes it feel super stiff anyway. As I’ve said, the Silverlite is the one pole I really regret selling so we’re talking tiny margins all over. Every pole I’ve mentioned is great. And they’re all different in a lot of ways.

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
Yes, a lot of these older poles were slimmer. A couple of mm anyway. Increasing the butt diameter is part of the modern way of making poles stiffer. I’m the same as you though and prefer them slimmer.

I’ve bought a few from Europe over the past year or so. I don’t fish longer than 13m so the Euro poles suit me fine. One I’ve used a lot of over the past 6 years is an 11m Spro model that was called the Black Stallion Gold S18. Not the stiffest, but as slim at 9.5m as my Garbolino UK pole at the base of the top 4. Lovely slippy finish too so I’ve used it a lot speed fishing at 9.5m or less.

More recently I bought an 11.5m Cresta Slimliner Pro 910. Only 11.5m because I fish a lot of very deep waters, so distance isn’t necessary and spare top 4 kits are more important. Made by Spro as above, and much stiffer than the S18, though only slightly slimmer than normal modern poles. Lovely, lovely pole for anybody who doesn’t need a long or expensive pole and mostly fishes for silvers though. Though it is a strong pole.

The majority of the “Slim” poles available in Europe aren’t actually any slimmer until you get near the butt sections. The Slimliner is slimmer once you get to the number 5, but only a couple of mm at the 11.5mm butt.

I’ve always had a bit of a thing for Garbolino poles and recently realised how many Garbo kits I have lying around. So, I’ve just bought the new Garbolino XSlim Competition 13m, from their French catalogue. As the name suggests, it’s slim. But this is very high end! And certainly a step in the right direction. Poles have to get slimmer one day, and this one explains a lot about what’s currently possible. It’s actually a bit like the MAP 1001, just in a 13m length, with “kind of” parallel butt sections past 10m.

The way they make slim, parallel poles stiffer is to build the Butt sections more solidly as they go back, so they do get heavier. It makes for a slightly weird shipping experience as the pole can feel butt heavy. After a couple of sessions with it, you just adjust and move your rollers slightly. Mega stiff, well balanced, slim pole though! Much like a Silverlite in terms of stiffness tbh, just slimmer and with a different kind of good balance (butt heavy).

Poles like the Zircon achieved what they achieved through being thinner walled to achieve less weight, so balance with a slimmer butt was easier. So now that poles are stronger and thicker walled, they’re having to add more weight at the butt to keep slim poles balanced.

I’ve never used the Exceler but again (and the Whisker), held in very high regard. I believe older mandrel Daiwa poles were slimmer than the modern ones too? I had a Milo 10-10 (should have mentioned that in my list of classic silverfish poles!) and I believe Milo sections from that era (2000) were from the same mandrel as the Daiwas (although made by Reglass). I have a Milo 13m butt here still and although it’s not as slim as the poles mentioned above, it’s slim by modern standards too!

So, the Zircon is actually slimmer than the Silverlite, all the way through. It can’t be far off it stiffness wise, but the lightness makes it feel super stiff anyway. As I’ve said, the Silverlite is the one pole I really regret selling so we’re talking tiny margins all over. Every pole I’ve mentioned is great. And they’re all different in a lot of ways.
Thank you Ben ,cracking write ups 👏 and honest reviews. Can you do a write up on all the modern poles 😍

baggy

Mark Saunders
I‘m sure that’s correct, I had a Milo 777 and I’m certain Daiwa sections fitted

nutmeg

Site Supporter
Just a quick update, to say that following some advice given on here l was able to source and buy a pre loved Browning Silverlite 13mtr pole, l had the option to buy a 16mtr but l know l would never fish a pole at that distance. Very pleased with the new pole, just need to give it a proper workout.

I would like to find an extra couple of uncut top kits, but dont think anywhere have them in stock, but if you guys know better, please get in touch.

Just a quick update, to say that following some advice given on here l was able to source and buy a pre loved Browning Silverlite 13mtr pole, l had the option to buy a 16mtr but l know l would never fish a pole at that distance. Very pleased with the new pole, just need to give it a proper workout.

I would like to find an extra couple of uncut top kits, but dont think anywhere have them in stock, but if you guys know better, please get in touch.
Very good choice the silverlite is a great silvers pole. Not tried the 06 13m version supposed to be abit stronger than the 08 & 12. Spares are available but usualy have to wait for shipping from germany if your local dealer doesnt have stock. Good thing abput the silverlite is the no1 sections are a good length to just elasticate that section. There around £70 how many tops did yours come with. The tips come in two sizes 3.9mm and 3.0mm, top kits from the zitan range also fit. And the full pole is compatable with every section of the sphere. There not cheap poles bye any means but you get what you pay for and as stiff as ur gonna get for silvers really.

nutmeg

Site Supporter
Came with 3 elasticated top kits with side pullers, and 1 full length un used kit. I will only ever be using this pole on canals.
I did have a quick look on the Askari website but l couldnt see any topkits but l probably just missed them.

bricky72

Site Supporter
Came with 3 elasticated top kits with side pullers, and 1 full length un used kit. I will only ever be using this pole on canals.
I did have a quick look on the Askari website but l couldnt see any topkits but l probably just missed them.
I’ve not put side pullers in any of mine as got z9-2 ones if need pulled all mine done in top one found it works only time use puller is on perch line

nutmeg

Site Supporter
I dont really want or need side pullers and these kits are pretty surpless as they are to me as they are.
I will hunt out a couple or so more top kits, l have got a few things on this week, but hopefully give a few stores a call and see whats available if anything.