Decoy Pond Brantham

adspez86

I've recently joined Paxmans and like the look of Decoy pond. I've heard there's big Roach, Rudd and Perch and was wondering if that's still the case?
Any info would be appreciated.

rudd

Site Supporter
Heard of issues with Otters and Cormorants but then all waters in Orwell/Stour/Deben seem to have these stories 😕
Think this was called ICI Brantham at some point?
Big carp all stolen many years ago.

adspez86

I'm new to the area and have read up on the otters in particular being a problem here and that some waters have otter fencing around them.
I've float fished it twice and had Rudd up to 3/4 but couldn't get past that size even with double corn they were still having it on the drop and when I switched to the feeder I didn't get a bite for a good couple of hours.
Would you recommend any waters in the Ipswich/Colchester area that holds quality Roach and Rudd?

smiffy

Site Supporter
Walked round it a few years ago and it was absolutely solid with Carp. Not my sort of fishing so didn’t enquire any further.
Ardleigh reservoir has quality Roach and Rudd. Alton Water has some big Roach. Alton is ten minutes down the road from this Decoy lake.

adspez86

I know of Alton water and is a impressive size and one I'm looking to target more in the Spring/Summer when the fish are hopefully more active but can imagine there's big everything in there.
Decoy does look good in terms of features and it is hard to judge waters this time of year but I know from previous experience clubs/waters will list fish up to a certain size but they may have been caught 30+ years ago and no longer anywhere near that size in there any longer.
Ardleigh Res I haven't looked at yet. Do you know if Alton or Ardleigh Res have depth survey maps as they make big water fishing 100 times easier.

smiffy

Site Supporter
I think there is a depth map for Ardleigh but you’ll need to talk to the bailiff. He’s always walking round. Any Carp anglers you see are normally pretty good with info. I haven’t got a clue about Alton. The Roach seem to be all round and on a fairly short chuck. Bream are further out in deeper water. Alton water angling has a Facebook page with good info.

adspez86

Cool and I'll check them out on FB. Alton is on my doorstep so definitely a water I'll be putting some time into. I've fished big Reservoirs before and love the challenge but they take time to work out.
I will look into Ardleigh and see if I can have a chat with the bailiff

rudd

Site Supporter
Ardleigh has a massive bream population.
Alton has a good variety of species.

Suffolk Water park main specimen lake holds massive Roach.
Packed in warmer months with carpers but have heard you can negotiate a special ticket if targetting silvers.
Give Nick Cunnel a call.

rudd

Site Supporter
I'm new to the area and have read up on the otters in particular being a problem here and that some waters have otter fencing around them.
I've float fished it twice and had Rudd up to 3/4 but couldn't get past that size even with double corn they were still having it on the drop and when I switched to the feeder I didn't get a bite for a good couple of hours.
Would you recommend any waters in the Ipswich/Colchester area that holds quality Roach and Rudd?
PM sent about a water with decent roach, know the baliff well , a right :asshole2:, sat looking at his slippers! 😜