плак-плак
Site Supporter
i'm not posh enough to have decking, just boring old paving slabs :cry:

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
i'm not posh enough to have decking, just boring old paving slabs :cry:
as have we in the garden, far easier for maintenance, just sweep over every now and then,

built raised beds for her flowers etc,

Pompous git

Site Supporter
Which way should you lay turf?🤔
Sorry to be crude.

Many {many} years ago me and the missis had a bonk on the RM canal bank, biggest problem was not privacy but finding a space clear
of sheep s**t.

Forty years ago I had a load of turf delivered to my new house, it came from a place called Shadoxhurst. It was absolutely plastered in
sheep s**t.

I have a thing about sheep s**t. I have just reread my post, why am I on this planet?

chris1967

Site Supporter
curse you dave ,i'm sat at the kitchen table with back door open looking at our decking wondering if i've put it right way up

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
Sorry to be crude.

Many {many} years ago me and the missis had a bonk on the RM canal bank, biggest problem was not privacy but finding a space clear
of sheep s**t.

Forty years ago I had a load of turf delivered to my new house, it came from a place called Shadoxhurst. It was absolutely plastered in
sheep s**t.

I have a thing about sheep s**t. I have just reread my post, why am I on this planet?
oh so that was you, whos hairy arse was shining in the sun !

Chris Calder

Site Supporter
Just moved house and removed a deck which was raised by 1 meter and had rail on as well. putting a slab patio in it's place, but relocating the decking to another area where there is a dip in the ground, so it will be level with ground , mentioned this thread to the wife and said the stripes should be face down.
She said when i put it down again to put it stripes up like it was or it will just look like planks, so the boss has spoken!

Beck Hill

I had this conversation with the missus, the lads, and just about everyone who has set foot on my decking ever since - which way up do you fit timber decking - Groove side or flat face side up?

I maintained flat face side up and that's the way it went down. After a short while the missus finally agreed it was less slippy when wet, easier on bare feet, and all in all a lot more pleasant to look at - she loves it.

Now this....

So it looks like I was right all along :D.
You have fitted the basic grooved variety. Because decking is available in different forms it usually require the grooves to be facing the sky. The different forms have incorporated into the grooves many inserts such as anti slip and soft for childrens play areas. There is no reason why it cannot be fitted as you have but that is not the intended way.

AdeB

Site Supporter
The decking boards I purchased many years ago had grooves on both sides! On one side very close together the other side slightly further apart, so whichever way it was laid would be grooves up! Confused.com:unsure:

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
I am just about ready to lay my decking boards, they are grooved on both sides, so that decision is easy. The next problem is to gap or not to gap. I have done some research and there is mixed opinions. Some say the gaps help with drainage, however, water will be contained between the grooves so it rather negates this argument. Others say a gap allows for expansion, however, a lot of joiner say that boards will shrink rather than expand, so surely it would make sense to fit them, initially, tight.
How complicated can a bl**dy palette, on your lawn, be?🤔🤔🤨

62tucker

Site Supporter
Always got to be a gap. Seen plenty rotten decks with boards butted up. I used a few 4 inch nail as spacers.
Don’t forget the fall for water to drain off.
The new plastic type board are cambered so the frame work of decking are built level.
Wood deck needs fall for water to run down grooves.
Might be obviously to some. Sorry if it is. 👍

TrickyD

Site Supporter
The decking boards I purchased many years ago had grooves on both sides! On one side very close together the other side slightly further apart, so whichever way it was laid would be grooves up! Confused.com:unsure:
Lay then on their edges, then you will have a smooth bit showing. You may need to buy a few extra.