Decking - Which way up?

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
I had this conversation with the missus, the lads, and just about everyone who has set foot on my decking ever since - which way up do you fit timber decking - Groove side or flat face side up?

I maintained flat face side up and that's the way it went down. After a short while the missus finally agreed it was less slippy when wet, easier on bare feet, and all in all a lot more pleasant to look at - she loves it.

Now this....

So it looks like I was right all along :D

Silver fan 82

I have to admit I always thought it was ridges up Dave. I would imagine being laid smooth side up would be easier to clean too.
I took our decking up last summer. It was rot through in places.

Robwooly

One of the places I lived had decking, it was quite old and very slippery, you would slip in the direction of the groves, it was rather treacherous in the wet and we both hated it. The grooves also harboured moss and even with regular cleaning with brooms and cleaning agents was still slippy, I came to the conclusion the grooves offered no grip at all, at the end they were also starting to split where the fitting screws went through, so there is logic in having them groove side down but maybe it doesn't look as 'groovy' pardon the pun, so style over substance won

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Have to say that groove side up seems to be the way I see 99% of them installed in my job. They are usually slippy, dirty and starting to rot.

OldTaff

Site Supporter
Never had decking but the stuff I see at friends houses is always groove side up - when we built platforms from planed timber we always chicken netted it to prevent slippage so I guess both sides of decking must get slippy to some degree but the smooth is probably easier to brush off and clean off.

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
grooves up

why would they sell the non slip stuff with the infill in the grooves if that wasnt the way it was meant to be installed

if you install it with the minimum fall, water drains away anyhow

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
If the grooves are face up you've less contact area to walk on, the grooves fill with detritus which traps moisture, and are a pitta to keep clean.

Floor boards aren't grooved, nuff said 😀

Somersetlad

If they're underneath why bother having the grooves at all? The grooves are meant to be on top, with a slight slope along the board, so water drains away rather than forming puddles. personally I'd be more concerned about the rats living underneath than a bit of slipperyness.

The Landlord

Site Supporter
Who knew? Ours has all gone now & most of the back is flagged. No doubt she'll want some more decking put back in soon though.
I've just had to dismantle the bedroom because she wants a new carpet fitting tomorrow. I'm sure this carpet was only laid two years ago :rolleyes:

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
In a lot of rental properties it seems it doesn't get the care it requires and so rot is commonplace.

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
If the grooves are face up you've less contact area to walk on, the grooves fill with detritus which traps moisture, and are a pitta to keep clean.

Floor boards aren't grooved, nuff said 😀
bass broom for cleaning

and you might as well save untold loot and just use scaffold boards if you want the plain look

nejohn

Site Supporter
Ours is grooves up and it gets 3 coats of non slip decking stain about this time every year after a good scrub with a stiff brush and decking cleaner. It seems to last around a year before the grooves start to go a bit green. If the decking gets neglected then I can see the sense in having flat side up but if you look after it then probably doesn't make much difference

me

Even the plastic decking is Groves up . All the professionaly laid wood and plastic decking I've ever seen as always been Grooves up and on a slight angle the direction the Grooves run so any water runs down the Grooves and off the decking, plus the grooves grip a tread like grip

Tenacious Sloth

Site Supporter
I had this conversation with the missus, the lads, and just about everyone who has set foot on my decking ever since - which way up do you fit timber decking - Groove side or flat face side up?

I maintained flat face side up and that's the way it went down. After a short while the missus finally agreed it was less slippy when wet, easier on bare feet, and all in all a lot more pleasant to look at - she loves it.

Now this....

So it looks like I was right all along :D
Interesting info.

As an aside, that Daily Star website you linked to is a perfect example of a site rendered unusable due to excessive advertising. Total pish, just like their comic they jokingly call a newspaper.

spanky

Irregular Member
Site Supporter
Of course you put the grooves on the top... otherwise you have to climb underneath, lie on your back and put your feet in the air to walk on it.