Decent Thames Mixed Bag

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
So today I was back on the medley stretch of the Thames attempting to repeat the nice mixed bag I had from this peg last weekend and it wasn’t quite as plain sailing this time. The river had dropped a little and certainly slowed compared to last weekend and whilst it was nice and calm early on it soon got rather windy although was nice and warm tucked out of the wind in admittedly not fishing friendly sunshine.

I started fishing just before 8 on the stick and for the first couple hours I had a fairly steady stream of fish by alternating between hemp (which I couldn’t quite get working fully today for some reason) and maggot. By 10 though the calm weather had given away to a strong downstream wind which in addition to lot of pike activity (at least a handful hook ups) made the next hour a lot tougher. By 11 I’d had enough of the awkward wind and near constant pike attacks so I switched to the feeder. Even this was a bit tricky in the wind but not quite so bad so allowed me to keep catching although the best spell from that point onwards was a productive half hour back on the float. That little spell was ended by another pike hook up so it was back on the feeder until packing up just after 3. Final tally was conservatively about 30 roach, 10 skimmers, 10 gudgeon, 10 bleak and 5 chublet (weirdly no perch or dace) for about 10lb. So probably about 20 odd fish and about 4lb shy of last weekends total but I was relatively happy with the session as the wind and pike meant I probably couldn’t have done a lot more. Definitely enough going on to keep me busy anyway!

As usual all float caught fish came to the 13ft drennan acolyte ultra float rod paired with the drennan 7 series 3000 float reel loaded with 3lb maxima (forgot the stick line again!) to initially a 4bb drennan stick eventually changed to 6bb to combat the wind to a seen an silverfish size 18 to 2.5lb hook to nylon. This was set up to trip the bottom in about 5ft of water. Hook bait wise the roach were split pretty 50/50 between a single grain of hemp and single red maggot whilst I think everything else fell to single red maggot. These were fished over a few balls of silver x groundbait laced with hemp and maggot and a loose feed of mostly hemp with a few maggots. The feeder fish all came on the 11ft drennan acolyte ultra feeder rod paired with the drennan 7 series feeder reel loaded with 6lb maxima to 15g drennan feeder bomb on a boom above a bead and swivel to a drennan carp size 16 to 3.5lb hook to nylon. Hook bait was double red maggot and the feeder contained the same groundbait and particle mix as above.

My grandad was with me again and sat on the feeder all day alternating between a general and more breamy approach. Nothing came to the latter and on the former he copped even more pike attacks than me (whole packet of hooks!) but did have 40 odd fish made up of a pretty even mix of roach, skimmers, gudgeon and bleak plus a couple perch and dace.

All in all whilst it wasn’t as good as last weekend I don’t think I could have done a lot better given the wind and pike so was still an enjoyable session. Wind forecast looks a bit better for tomorrow so whilst I’m otherwise engaged in the afternoon I might have a morning session on a another stretch. If not I’ll certainly be back out next weekend.

Usual swim pic plus a few roach showing the stamp/size range.

1599323881139.jpeg

1599323892264.jpeg
1599323903884.jpeg
1599323917895.jpeg

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
It’s only the 3rd time but yeah there’s a nice seat patch getting worn into it 😂

Probably will have a change of stretch let alone swim next weekend as getting a bit tired of the medley boats now after getting used to none of them on the sandford old channel back in July. Will either go back there or where the lock channel and old channel rejoin. Thinking of trying the latter tomorrow or maybe back to Clifton 🤔

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Decent stamp Roach again especially that last one!

Yeah got a decent stamp once they got going. I think the last one was probably the biggest or at least second biggest today.

Have decided on tomorrow’s session now going to take the boat up farmoor way, do a bit of roaming to see what’s about.