Decent line for Barbel...suggestions?

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
I have just looked at the line on both reels and it needs changing, I think it has too much memory. When I open the bail arm the line just comes off in coils like a spring. I have no idea what line it is because it was on the reels when I bought them but I'm not happy with it.
So, a question for those that go Barbel hunting...what line would you recommend? Please don't say Daiwa Sensor, I'm not happy with that either. I was looking at the Guru Pulse but can't seem to get it in the breaking strain I want (10lb) because it's out of stock.

Last edited:

Total

Site Supporter
@ukzero1 ......Have used Pro gold for years for this and general legering. Tough as old boots. ;).....If your wanting 10lb breaking strain, order the 8lb stuff as this breaks at 11 poundish. (y)

ukzero1

Site Supporter
@Total

Our local tackle shop doesn't have it in mate, I've just phoned them. Ideally a bulk spool would be handy as I've 2 reels to do.

Arch

Site Supporter
I use the Korda Carp line, think it's the cheapest one they do. I find it very good. I used to use Sensor and couldn't get on with it, forever getting line twist with it. Binned it off and tried the Korda and I've been happy with that.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Referring to the original post...
"Please don't say Daiwa Sensor, I'm not happy with that " :whistle::rolleyes::giggle:
What's wrong with Daiwa Sensor ya grumpy owd devil ? I've just bought you a bulk spool but, if you don't want it ? ??? What's up ? Run out of brown sauce ? ???

ukzero1

Site Supporter
What's wrong with Daiwa Sensor ya grumpy owd devil ? I've just bought you a bulk spool but, if you don't want it ? ??? What's up ? Run out of brown sauce ? ???

There are better lines out there that have less memory, and a thinner diameter for the breaking strain.
As for the brown sauce, I'm not suffering withdrawal symptoms mate, I have 2 full bottles in the cupboard. Might need to top up next week though. :unsure: :giggle:

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
There are better lines out there that have less memory, and a thinner diameter for the breaking strain.
As for the brown sauce, I'm not suffering withdrawal symptoms mate, I have 2 full bottles in the cupboard. Might need to top up next week though. :unsure: :giggle:
You saying Im as thick as Daiwa Sensor ( less memory ) Peter ? Im sooooooooo offended. Seriously though, I get on with it really well, doesn't stretch too much like Maxima, and as my pet canary tells me ..... " it's cheap cheap. "

Two bottles ? That's only a full English and a big Yorkshire pudding mate. You best get your lass t' Coop and quick. ?

brian carragher

Site Supporter
I use Stren feeder line in 11lb bs, comes off the reel fantastic, no memory and real good knot strength, I've put a few on to it

ukzero1

Site Supporter
@brian carragher

Will look out for that one. Thanks. I do have some line on order but getting views on the lines used by anglers is better than reading the write-ups from the makers.

brian carragher

Site Supporter
Good abrasion resistance to it too with some stretch but not elasticy (is that a proper word) like some lines you get, you always feel in control when youve got a lump on that wants to run into the nearest snag

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
The pub won't sell fishing line. :oops::rolleyes::giggle:
You dont live where Peter lives. Sell anything in their pub ..... Nudge nudge, Wink wink. Its enough hes not ' borrowing ' some materials off his village church roof. ???

Total

Site Supporter
@tipitinmick ......Was having a chat with our Pete earlier...;).......I think he might be on the lookout for a rubber ring and water wings for a future trip to the Trent with our Sly. :oops::rolleyes::giggle:.....Suppose the local pub might have a supply for him. :unsure::giggle:

ukzero1

Site Supporter
@tipitinmick ......Was having a chat with our Pete earlier...;).......I think he might be on the lookout for a rubber ring and water wings for a future trip to the Trent with our Sly. :oops::rolleyes::giggle:.....Suppose the local pub might have a supply for him. :unsure::giggle:

No luck there, but I did mange to 'borrow' a bra. So, if I put a balloon in each cup, it might just keep @sly afloat if he falls in. It's a 44 EE. :roflmao:

ukzero1

Site Supporter
Been on a quest for decent line after binning sensor. The 2 I have settled for are shimano aero super match for lighter work up to 6lb, or Prologic X L N T camo HP ( no similarity to HP sauce) in 8.10 & 12lb.

That link is interesting, some good info there :upthumb: . I find it odd though that a few lines are missing, such as the Maver Genesis Smart line, and the Middy Lo-viz.

Last edited: