Dearne & Dove canal

Joshlw

Had a lovely morning on the D&D canal, ended the session with 34 fish mainly consisting of Crucian and Gudgeon. Had a red goldfish jumping around my float but never managed to hook it, I will be back again shortly though.

A pint of maggots and a whip provides so much fun. Did I mention it's FREE fishing?

Not sure what these two fish are though?

Attachments

• PXL_20220623_112426569.MP~2.jpg
    PXL_20220623_112426569.MP~2.jpg
    699.6 KB · Views: 27
  • PXL_20220623_101220103.jpg
    PXL_20220623_101220103.jpg
    343.3 KB · Views: 26
  • PXL_20220623_085631216.jpg
    PXL_20220623_085631216.jpg
    569.2 KB · Views: 26

WickerDave

Site Supporter
Had a lovely morning on the D&D canal, ended the session with 34 fish mainly consisting of Crucian and Gudgeon. Had a red goldfish jumping around my float but never managed to hook it, I will be back again shortly though.

A pint of maggots and a whip provides so much fun. Did I mention it's FREE fishing?

Not sure what these two fish are though?
That's a nice bag. Those two are F1 carp, a crucian/common carp hybrid. They do vary in colour a lot.

tincatim

Site Supporter
There looks to be some brown goldfish in amongst that net. Nice haul though!
Is this the bit of canal in Swinton that leads to boat yard?

Joshlw

There looks to be some brown goldfish in amongst that net. Nice haul though!
Is this the bit of canal in Swinton that leads to boat yard?
It is Tim, it's a brilliant little water. Filled to the brim with Crucian. There's definitely some hidden treasures in there, I am aiming to catch one of the red Goldfish but no luck yet.

Have you fished it yourself?

tincatim

Site Supporter
It is Tim, it's a brilliant little water. Filled to the brim with Crucian. There's definitely some hidden treasures in there, I am aiming to catch one of the red Goldfish but no luck yet.

Have you fished it yourself?
No I haven’t, but I regularly drive over the bridge there. I always glance over and wonder what’s in it. I only live nearby so could fish it easily, might have a go now I know there’s actual fish in there.

Joshlw

No I haven’t, but I regularly drive over the bridge there. I always glance over and wonder what’s in it. I only live nearby so could fish it easily, might have a go now I know there’s actual fish in there.
Here's what I have either caught or saw first hand (ignoring the hybrids):
Rudd, crucian, brown goldfish, red goldfish, large Carp or two and Gudgeon.

I'm down once or twice a week so perhaps we shall run into eachother, I only live 2 minutes away by Farmfoods.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
That sounds spot on! I've never really heard of canal like that before. Good fishing.

tincatim

Site Supporter
That sounds spot on! I've never really heard of canal like that before. Good fishing.
It's an offshoot from the much larger South Yorkshire Navigation Canal. The original canal covered a lot of distance but was filled in years ago, the bit that remains is what Josh fished. This is a picture of it, albeit quite an old one.

dd013.jpg

Joshlw

It's an offshoot from the much larger South Yorkshire Navigation Canal. The original canal covered a lot of distance but was filled in years ago, the bit that remains is what Josh fished. This is a picture of it, albeit quite an old one.

dd013.jpg
Looks very different now, that looks beautiful

Zerkalo

Site Supporter

dd013.jpg
If you live nearby I'd be fishing it in a flash! Lovely net of fish and nice looking water.

tincatim

Site Supporter
If you live nearby I'd be fishing it in a flash! Lovely net of fish and nice looking water.
Someone once told me that the lock at the end had been opened and all the fish escaped 🤣 so I didn’t really know if actually had fish, I didn’t really want to waste a day fishing for nothing. I’m interested in testing it out, but the river has a bigger power of attraction at the moment.

Joshlw

What sort of depth is it Josh? I imagine about 3ft max?
Admittedly, I'm absolutely terrible of eyeing measurements so I couldn't give you a specific answer. I've never fished further then the end of my 5m whip and I'd say it's about 2-3ft. However it does get deeper the further out you go, the bottom is very reminiscent of your typical canal with the edges dropping down to the boat channel in the middle.

Sorry if that's not the best answer.

tincatim

Site Supporter
That's good advice! I imagine it can be quite clear at times too. I'm going to have to pay a visit one day, that's a really good net of fish you've had there. Looks promising!