Deadbait rods

rd115

Barbus Minimus
Site Supporter
Considering a new deadbait rod in the 12ft size range. Currently have a pair of 10ft wychwood agitators but looking for something with more of a progressive action and more casting range.

Considering the discontinued Greys Prowla Platinum 12ft (3lb tc, cant find the 3.5lb for love nor money)

Also considering the 12ft Drennan Esox piker bait rod which is a current model.

Anyone have any experience with either?

Minno

Have a look at Korum Snapper Deadbait rods.

Lovely action and plenty of power for chucking heavy weights.

SerialBlanker

Site Supporter
I’ve just got the daiwa lexa ones from Bobco. £60 each and very nice to use. Progressive action and can cast half a mackerel and lead a good way

Captain Pugwash

Ya wont catch owt sat on the settee. P.A.C Member
I'm also after another deadbait rod, both the esox and snapper are on my list to look at, round here not many tackle shop's have a choice so if a waggle is needed it means lots of miles.
So I will watch with interest.

rd115

Barbus Minimus
Site Supporter
I'm also after another deadbait rod, both the esox and snapper are on my list to look at, round here not many tackle shop's have a choice so if a waggle is needed it means lots of miles.
So I will watch with interest.

I'll likely end up getting them all once i've moved some stuff about and raised funds, and then selling on which rods i don't need, you're more than welcome to have a go when i get them if you live not too far away... near Retford i'm thinking for some reason?

rd115

Barbus Minimus
Site Supporter
I've been treated to 2 of the 12ft 3lb Greys Prowla Platinums for x-mas, managed to snag the last 2 on ebay, hopefully they still have those 2 and it's not some sort of stock error o_O

old bill

Got a pair of Fox 12 ft heavy deadbait rods 3.25 test curve lightly used in original tubes £80 the pair collected pm Old bill South Yorks

rd115

Barbus Minimus
Site Supporter
The Greys Prowla Platinums are absolutely awesome rods, puts most others to shame. Very slim blank and slim full length cork handle. Also very light in the hand. Lovely progressive/through action. Plenty of power and accuracy in the cast, i can punch a 4oz gripper lead and mackerel tail / turbo smelt / 7 inch roach no problems.

I've had a waggle of the Drennan Esox, Daiwa Powermesh and the Korum snapper.

Drennan is quite nice but a touch heavier, the discontinued Greys Prowla feels so much nicer in the hand and the underwired tip ring is superior for braid use, if line wraps round the tip it's easy to sort without having to ship back the rod, looks like it would catch on the drennan which is overwired.

The Daiwa feels much the same as the Greys, i'm wondering if they came out of the same factory? Similar price too. Tip ring lets it down though much like the Drennan.

Korum snapper is a beast of a rod, very heavy and very stiff / faster action compared to the others, not for me at all.

The Greys was billed as the ultimate pike rod, and for me, atleast, i'd have to agree, and paired with the Ultegra 5500 CI4+ it's a very nice handling setup. Just need to hook into some big girls now to put them through their paces :)

Can still get the Prowla Platinums online if you know where to look, stocks are dwindling though.