Dead pinkies

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Since I've started going in a new tackle shop, they have a freezer full of bait, and I can't resist picking up a bag when I go in there. Dead pinkies are my new favourite even when I don't think I'll 100% need them. Anyone else use dead pinkies?

Forgive my excitement but as yet I don't freeze my leftover bait at home, so it's a bit new to me... and they look well cool (no pun intended).

2022-04-08 16.33.09.jpg

More tackle shops should do this. (y) I presume it's a good way to stop throwing away unsold bait.

grey

Site Supporter
Yep, dead pinkies are great on the deck. You know what's there and no need to guess what's wriggled away!!!

I will say that most shops just freeze them, and the pinkies will go black sometime after thawing - sometimes mid-session in the summer which can be annoying.

If you first kill off the pinkies (or maggots) by adding warm water, then slowly adding boiling (without cooking them), drain, dry and then freeze them - they'll stay firm and pink after thawing out.

JLK

Just be careful they don't float after you defrost them.
Best way to get dead pinkies is to buy live ones the day before you're going to use them. Ask the shop to bag them with as much air removed as possible. Keep them in the fridge and on the day, put them in a 3 pint bait tub on your tray. Fill with water to the brim, tackle up and they'll be perfect by the time you're ready.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Interesting. They sink and don't turn black but do tend to clump together a bit when defrosted. Is that normal or are you meant to keep them in water?

RMNDIL

Site Supporter
Probably used frozen pinkies/maggots for 20 years. Always thaw in water and then keep in water. If you let air get to them when thawing/after thawing etc they will go black and to a horrible mush !

Simon R

Site Supporter
I'm not a fan of frozen maggots, pinkies and especially casters.
I have my bait fridge set at a temperature such that maggots or pinkies are almost comatose when they come out - and in winter generally remain in the same state all day. I'll often recycle the same bait three or four times before I bin it

Do lose a few maggots in the summer but it's simple enough to riddle off the dead 'uns
Pinkies are practically impossible to kill, although I don't use them much in the summer - if I'm bream fishing in the summer I'll be adding caster and squatts to my groundbait.

Simon

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I'm a total newbie when it comes to using them. Yet to be convinced they're 100% necessary in my fishing but just look so good when frozen.

Northantslad

'Any indications?
For dead maggot or pinkie i avoid freezing. Upon buying fresh, seal in a bag tightly and with as much air removed as poss. On arrival to the bank, tip into a tub of water and job done. No freezer burn, bait quality or concerns to worry about.

Scardinius

I think I’ll give these a go, must be easier to store - I won’t find one wiggling it’s way under the veg drawer!🤢