Dead maggots.

RedhillPhil

Computers verified, riots quelled, wars started.
Site Supporter
I read in this week's Angling Times about dead maggots mixed in with groundbait. The question was, how to murder them. The man said that the best way was to put them in water overnight which kill them and leave them soft and plumptious. So I did. Yesterday morning I drained off the now lifeless maggots, emptied them into a bait box and into the bottom of the refrigerator they went. Arriving at the bankside yesterday evening for a three hour club match saw me remove the lid to reveal........a pint of lively wriggling maggots!

Total

Site Supporter
Buy your maggots, put into a polythene bag, squeeze the air out and tie off.....Bung in the fridge for at least three days......Take them fishing and decant into bait box of cold water.....Voila, dead maggots. (y)

Simon R

Site Supporter
For the best dead maggots you need a kettle of boiling water, a large tray (cat litter tray is ideal - remove the cat first though please), and a number of bait boxes.

In each of the bait boxes place just enough maggots so they're two or three deep.
Pour boiling water into the tray and float the bait boxes on top - only takes a few seconds for the maggots to die and then tip them all into another tub
Repeat until you run out of bait or the water goes cold.

Because they haven't been frozen, drowned or killed in some other unspeakable manner they remain in much better condition.

Simon

slaner

Site Supporter
For the best dead maggots you need a kettle of boiling water, a large tray (cat litter tray is ideal - remove the cat first though please), and a number of bait boxes.

In each of the bait boxes place just enough maggots so they're two or three deep.
Pour boiling water into the tray and float the bait boxes on top - only takes a few seconds for the maggots to die and then tip them all into another tub
Repeat until you run out of bait or the water goes cold.

Because they haven't been frozen, drowned or killed in some other unspeakable manner they remain in much better condition.

Simon
thanks simon i will try this method as not had much luck with other ways

OldTaff

Site Supporter
I have always placed the maggots in a bait bowl, covered with cold water then added boiling water gradually until the little fellows stop their wriggle - it’s not failed me yet

Total

Site Supporter
thanks simon i will try this method as not had much luck with other ways
Don't bovver mate, you'll be there all bleedin' day and the quality of the resultant dead maggots is :poop:....As above in my above post, any quantities......(y)

Godber

Fruity Susan, Nobice and Inventor of W@nkles.
Site Supporter
Clean all the crud off your maggots, put in a tub and pour in plenty of water. Do it 3-4 days before you are going fishing. Change the water every couple of days to stop it from stinking. The night before transfer them to a zip lok bag or leave them in the tub but you might get a bit of leakage, but keep them covered with water. Result should be plump brightly coloured dead maggots and they stay decent for a couple of weeks aswell.

tincatim

Site Supporter
That’s a lot of preparation! I don’t have time/can’t be arsed to mess about so just buy them ready frozen from the tackle shop, easy! 😆

Godber

Fruity Susan, Nobice and Inventor of W@nkles.
Site Supporter
These were 2 week old drowned maggots.

IMG_20220623_224100.jpg

Steve57

Site Supporter
I use a method similar to Simon R, but I put the live maggots in an empty fresh soup tub (or similar container) and cover them with cold water. Then put the soup tub in a 3 pint baitbox and slowly fill the bait box with boiling water. Takes about 10 minutes to kill the maggots and they are in perfect condition (apart from being dead that is).

qtaran111

Site Supporter
Similar to @Total, I bag ‘em up, air out, but then I freeze (bag of maggs in fridge = divorce, freezer is more discreet). Keep for yonks and on the bank, even in blistering heat, they don’t blacken or squish.

RMNDIL

Site Supporter
Just freeze in small bags of say 1/2pt max. If you put too many in - say 2pt - it'll take ages to freeze them all. This is OK if you don't want them for a couple of weeks or more otherwise freeze in multiple 1/2pt bags.

Thaw in WATER not air. Keep in water and only mix into the Gbait what you can use relatively quickly otherwise in air they go to a horrible black mush !!.