Dead maggots

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luckyphil

Freezing them is good but can take a day or two. The alternative method is to put your maggots in bait tub in just enough water (cold) to cover them. Boil a kettle then slowly add the boiling water to the maggots. only half a cup full or so at a time. The idea is to slowly bring the maggot's water up until lierally the maggots stop dead. [:)]

avonangler

Wes. I freeze mine & don't tell her. Don't use the freezer in the kitchen tho, that would be pushing it. If you don't freeze em how're you gonna store em?[:D]

Cooky

tie them up in a few supermarket bags and freeze tell her its bread crumb lol

spanky

Irregular Member
Site Supporter
The best way... is by putting them on the hook and catching fish on 'em!

Jack Smart

Numpty Slayer
ii bought 2 pints and it was very very warm so i put them outsde within an hour they were allll dead lol and im fishing tomz

butler

champion blanker
another vote for the freezer if you can do it a day before, or the kettle method if you need to do it that morning

nobby478

miserable old ....
The fish don't give a to**, but the maggots don't like being on the menu so they burrow into the silt. This isn't such a bad thing, it can get the fish rooting around and interested..it might well keep them in your swim.

But dead, they stay on the bottom and are easier to find, the fish might even get a bit competetive about them and then they get reckless. But too many dead maggots might just over feed them.

It's all a balance!

[:D]

chrisharry

So ideally if you buy your maggots early, wait till half are dead and then go fishing it will be about right? :)

andy_martin

The artist formerly known as...
Add dead maggots to my groundbait and method mixes as live maggots would break down the balls too quick.

cess monkey

I`ve had some of my best bream catches using dead maggots, in the groundbait and on the hook.

wes1772000

two dead maggots on the hook with my method feeder,,,live one,s break up the goundbait!!!

wozelbeak

Originally posted by wes1772000

HI whats the best way to kill/dead your maggots

cheers

sit out in the sun with them in their box!
i emptied half a pint into a small green box yesterday while down the river, so that i could use them without spilling them. i left 1 1/2 pints in a black bait box which i stood the green one on top of. i thought it would help keep them cool. any way after a hour i opened the black box only to find two thirds of them were dead (cooked).

Would not go anywhere without dead maggots in the winter time and rarely use a live one when fishing the commercials. Pop them in the freezer the night before, no later than 10pm, or they may survive and come round the following day. For the hook just roll the maggot on your knee a couple of times an hey presto its kippered. The freshly rolled maggot will still be plump and better on the hook than the frozen.

Status
Not open for further replies.