Dead maggot???

Status
Not open for further replies.

leemays

hello and good morning to everybody that is still awake, when the summer comes im goin to think about fishing the method alot hopefully and through most of peoples comments and stuff that i have read, Dead red maggots are 1 of the best baits goin on it....

so how do i go about killing my maggots???

Moster

Either freeze them by putting them in a sealed bag and chucking them in your freezer, or boil them by simply pouring hot water on to them dont leave them in the water for too long or they'll become floaters

esox.20

04/11/01 - 12/10/15
In Memoriam
Freezing gives a beter end product. Using boiling water can cause the maggots to stretch. After they have defrosted keep the maggots in water this stops them turning brown.

chill out go fishing

Datafile2.asp

Dervaig

Always freeze mine.
Don't rely on red maggot all the time. Some days only bronze or white will do. Hmmm, never had much luck with the green ones though.

Dervaig dukewave_e0.gif

leemays

thanks for the information guyes, but how deadly have you people found the dead maggot to be???

martin.

Account Locked
i tend to use a lot of dead maggots in my g/bait & for prebaiting as they dont tend to bury themselves in the silt/mud also if your fishing over a weedbed they will lay on top of the weed.
dont forget you can flavour the maggots as you freeze them angler mark is probably best on here on this subject also i believe there is info on archie braddocks site on this subject

tight lines.
martin.
Datafile3.asp

talk fishing flip football

Last edited:

Paul Holt

A way I found to kill them on the bank is to get a live maggot and roll it between your fingers or against your knee a few times. This'll kill it good and proper and saves the hassle of freezing/defrosting them or wasting that valuable flask of tea by scolding them.

Paul

martin.

Account Locked
hi paul
thats a good way of doing it but by the time youve done a couple of pints of maggots dont your fingers ache & how much time is there left for fishing

tight lines.
martin.
Datafile3.asp

talk fishing flip football

Paul Holt

Very true Martin, my knee is usually the same colour of the maggots by this stage too [:D] LOL

angler-mark

The maggots that I use for feeding are flavoured and then frozen for 24 hours, this seems to draw the flavour into them when they thaw out , but the ones I am using for hookbaits are gased in an small airtight container such as the ones you get films in. I fill one with live maggots and add 2 mils of flavour and put the lid on them and leave them at least 24 hours, the maggots absorb the flavour better and are bigger than frozen ones for the hook because they swell up and retain the flavor better than the frozen ones. They are ideal on silty lakes or very slow flowing waters. [:)][:)][:)]

Tight Lines

Mark

dolph.gif

scales

Vinny
I always add a few drops of liquid Scopex to the bag and shake it up before freezing.

cheers,

Scales,

Every angler knows his Plaice.

matt

Site Supporter
Lee, i have found dead maggot to be a killer on most venues when fishing the method. To kill them, simply pour a bit of coffee/tea from your flask on them, drain off and keep them moist with an atomiser otherwise they will dry out and stretch. If the water is boiling this will cause them to stretch out and turn white. If you are using the concentrated carp flavourings, then there is no need to do this. Find a suitable small container (an old juicy pellet tub works well) put a good pinch of maggots in it the night before you're fishing and add a few drops of flavour, give the tub a good shake and in the morning the maggots will all be dead. I have had my best results using single dead red, but keep experimenting with different colours/ combinations etc.. to see what the fish really want.
One of the reasons for the effectiveness of dead mags is that on many hard fished waters, the fish often shy away from live maggots, or they bury themselves in the silt.
hope this helps mate[8D]

HEY DUDE............
afro.gif

Last edited:

norm

martin i bet you spend most of your time with a little maggot between your fingers
so surly you must be used to it by now

Datafile3.asp

Status
Not open for further replies.