Dead Maggot trend?

Paul22

I’ve been reading match write ups at local commercials, plus some posts on here and see that dead maggs are a big deal now? I might have had blinkers on but I’m just learning about this method. Going to give it a try this weekend maybe on the method and on the margin line. Just a couple of questions -

- Does a colour make a difference? Best to use just reds or whites or a mix?
- if fishing the method feeder would it be best to fish a straight plane groundbait mix on the feeder and a couple of maggots on the hook or mix some maggots into the feeder mix also?
- feed a large volume of solely maggots in the margin or a few maggots and mainly Groundbait? Or half and half?
Dead maggots are good in certain situations and at different venues........
Having said this I rarely use them.....
So the first thing to think about do they work at the venue you’re fishing ?
If you used them at some of the venues I fish you would be plagued with silver fish........
Also in deeper margins I like to use pellets not ground bait and dead maggots work well with ground bait........
Colour wise I like red maggots or white but it’s only my preference not the fishes.......
If using ground bait I prefer corn or worm on the hook as they are a big standout bait and less likely to attract silvers.....
If I use dead’s with ground bait I don’t put any in the feed I just use them on the hook .... again this is what works for me.
On the method I mainly use pellets and a pellet hook bait for carp and f1 but if skimmers or small stockies are the quarry I’ll use ground bait and dead’s ......
I’d just buy a standard method mix and have 2 dead’s on a size 16 hook but I’ve found only smaller fish tend to get caught doing this.
Last thing there are no rules in fishing so give it a go and experiment........ try and work out what’s happening and why ?
Also have some alternative baits on hand you might be surprised what works and what doesn’t.....
Also when margin fishing use your ground bait in one swim and pellets in another to see which works best on the day......
Hope this helps ?

adz1189

Adam
Dead maggots are good in certain situations and at different venues........
Having said this I rarely use them.....
So the first thing to think about do they work at the venue you’re fishing ?
If you used them at some of the venues I fish you would be plagued with silver fish........
Also in deeper margins I like to use pellets not ground bait and dead maggots work well with ground bait........
Colour wise I like red maggots or white but it’s only my preference not the fishes.......
If using ground bait I prefer corn or worm on the hook as they are a big standout bait and less likely to attract silvers.....
If I use dead’s with ground bait I don’t put any in the feed I just use them on the hook .... again this is what works for me.
On the method I mainly use pellets and a pellet hook bait for carp and f1 but if skimmers or small stockies are the quarry I’ll use ground bait and dead’s ......
I’d just buy a standard method mix and have 2 dead’s on a size 16 hook but I’ve found only smaller fish tend to get caught doing this.
Last thing there are no rules in fishing so give it a go and experiment........ try and work out what’s happening and why ?
Also have some alternative baits on hand you might be surprised what works and what doesn’t.....
Also when margin fishing use your ground bait in one swim and pellets in another to see which works best on the day......
Hope this helps ?

Noted! ? thanks!

John Step

Site Supporter
Forgot to add. I put them in a tub of lake water on arrival. Keeps them fresh and hydrated. Any left over are strained and re frozen once only. The second time round ones are OK for mixing with groundbait in the feeder.

Beadsy

I use both but on a match earlier this summer I used live reds in the margin potting in reasonable accurately about 2ft from the bank. After a while I had fish on the mud line that appeared to be feeding quite heavily. The only thing I could think of was the maggots were crawling up the bank and the fish were following them. Never had this before but it has convinced me to use dead’s from now on.

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
I use both but on a match earlier this summer I used live reds in the margin potting in reasonable accurately about 2ft from the bank. After a while I had fish on the mud line that appeared to be feeding quite heavily. The only thing I could think of was the maggots were crawling up the bank and the fish were following them. Never had this before but it has convinced me to use dead’s from now on.
They wouldn't of crawled up, all the carp rooting around would of wafted them up there......I prefer dead reds when carp fishing, as you can cram loads on the hook, without them folding over the point, giving a bigger target bait, they aren't as attractive to small fish as wriggled ones.... they also stay put better than live ones....for F1,s I prefer live maggots..