Days like this don't do commercials any favours

Yuccaman

I like fishing.
Staff member
Site Supporter
Interesting point about the rods being classed as set-up if they have hooks attached.
How do the match guys get around having 4/5/6 top kits and 1 or two rods set-up?

This is a misreading of the bylaw. You can have as many rods set up on the bank as you like. The line about 'no hooks' is to do with the use of spod and marker rods, i.e. if you have a 2 rod licence, you can have 2 baited rods in the water AND a marker rod (as long as there is no hook on it) AND you can be spodding bait out as well, perfectly legally.

Buy a rod fishing licence

Rods that aren’t affected by licence limits

Please note the following rods aren’t affected by licence limits unless they have hooks attached:

•spod rods (used to propel bait into water)

•marker rods (used to mark out lines)

Whilst not from the EA, part of the Angling Trust model match rules is:

A competitor shall have in use one rod or pole, one line and one single hook at one time, but may have other rods or poles and tackle assembled for use in position behind him/her, if possible, providing that no such other tackles are baited.

Phoenixicus

Account Locked
My post was in reply to Gozzers saying that you cannot have a rod set-up with a hook not in use.
Hence I asked the question how match anglers get away with it(y)

G0zzer2

Site Supporter
Yuccaman, you may well be right. But it says that the marker rods etc should not have a hook attached - surely assuming that if they do have a hook attached they are taken into account in the rod limit, even if they are not being used,

So I'm wondering if this has been an anomaly for years - that rods with a hook attached but not being used, are taken into account. If so that would presumably include all my spare pole tips set up and ready for use. I hope not, of course!

Yuccaman

I like fishing.
Staff member
Site Supporter
I can't find anything specifically referring to it, but you can have what you like on the bank. "Fishing" is what you have with a hook on (baited or not) IN the water.

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
When we used to have a paper licence, with the rules on the back, it stated that the licence entitled you to fish with a single rod and line. Although you may have as many other rods set up as you wish, which are not in use; there was no mention of them having hooks on or not. I have never seen any other ruling and to the best of my knowledge this has not changed.

rd350lc

You don't have to wait for the rivers mate , there are loads of natural lakes round our neck of the woods where you won't get such bother.

Some lakes near me you can nearly have to yourself for the price of a yearly ticket.

Admittedly they ain't rammed with fish and it can be hard ,but very rewarding .

bluemack

Site Supporter
If i had to rely on commies i,d take up golf. I think it,s absolutely scandalous how these commie owners treat people.
I,ve experienced really poor treatment on the odd occasion i,ve fished a commie and the last occasion (about 18 months ago)
was enough to decide i,ll never fish a commie again,i,d rather wait for the 16th.

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
It's not only commercials that can display this sort of attitude. Ken, my dad, was fishing a club lake, whilst on holiday in Norfolk, which allowed day tickets. He purchased his ticket and started fishing; within 10 minutes another angler asked if he could see his ticket and rod licence, Ken duly obliged. Over the next hour he started 'hammering' the fish using sloppy bread on the hook but, as well as attracting the fish, this also attracted the attention of the other anglers; most of whom were fishless. He got so fed up of people coming and asking to see his day ticket and rod licence that he attached them to a bankstick behind him to save having to get them out of his wallet each time. He went to answer a call of nature in some bushes about twenty yards away and whilst doing this he saw two chaps rummaging through his box. Now Ken, like most big hard men, had a very long fuse but this caused him to lose his temper. He challenged the two blokes and was told that they were looking for his day ticket, he pointed out that it was on the bankstick and one of the men admitted that they were looking to see what bait he had, 'hidden away'. Ken shouted to the rest of the anglers on the lake, that if he caught anyone else touching his gear or asking for his day ticket they would be trying to swim to the bank with two broken arms. He wasn't bothered again but, he never fished there again either. Ironically if anyone had asked him for advice he was the type that would have gone and sat with them and showed them how he was doing it; probably giving them a float identical to his as well.

Ivan heaphurst

I think that after the first encounter with the charmer from the cafe, that I would have been on my way, never to return. Thankful not all commie owners are same.

Lol

Account Closed
Site Supporter
Northantslad you're a better man than me (most on here would agree). I'd have been forced to pull said bailiff/cafe worker and point out their inconsistencies there and then after which I would have exited ne'er to return!

160642fishing

Site Supporter
' and could prosecute if they caught you with a rod made up on a river bank in the close season, even if you weren't using it. '
Why would you have a rod made up in the close season if you didn't intend using it,I can see the sense in that rule but the one re 'hook attached' is a nonsense,just look at Fisho Mania for instance,rods and 6 or more top kits set up and you can't tell me that there aren't any EA people there.

tedstriker

Site Supporter
reminded me of a place i fished around 15 years ago quite regularly where it was 1 rod only and if you had a 2nd rod made up no hook was allowed to be attached, that was the owner of the pond giving saying that when he came round checking licenses/getting money

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
It annoys me when I rock up to a fishery and see a lovely board covered in a list of do's and don'ts then the bailiff turns up takes your cash and waddles off or potters off on a quad bike never to be seen again... no checks, no inspection of rigs, no keeping an eye on the fisheries inmates to see fair play... it begs the question why have a bleedin' board full of rules up in the first place....?

Yuccaman

I like fishing.
Staff member
Site Supporter
OK, I've been a good boy as a moderator and have spoken to the EA about this topic. This is the reply I have received and it gives a good, clear answer:

I have discussed this with one of our fishery officers. This is not specifically defined in the national or local byelaws.

You are not committing an offence by having spare rods on the bank, set up with a hook, when fishing with two, or three if licenced to do so, other rods. In the same way, it is not an offence to have any number of top kits for a pole ready to be used. It would be an offence to use them at the same time as the other rods.

The investigating officer, be it an Environment Agency Bailiff or police officer, would look at the likelihood (not just the possibility) of an offence being or about to be committed and if there is a reasonable explanation as to why spare rods were there then they should accept that.

The rules on marker and spod rods are clear enough. They can be used without a licence if they do not have a hook on them.

As well as national and local byelaws, there may also be rules for privately owned bodies of water, such as private fishing lakes. These should be checked before fishing commences.

G0zzer2

Site Supporter
Excellent post, Yuccaman - saved me the same investigation. Thanks. A case of commonsense by the EA, which is quite rare nowadays, and fairer than the old River Board byelaws.