Days like this don't do commercials any favours

Northantslad

'Any indications?
Site Supporter
Now, I unwittingly broke a fishery rule on a commercial yesterday and appreciate that I could have been asked to leave, however, whilst I have advised that I happily fish both commercials and naturals, the type of situation, such as yesterday that you can get on commercials does contribute towards my continuing sway towards the rivers.

I'm fishing with two rods and enjoying the day out, catching some fish and very comfortable in the decent temperatures........
After a very good on site breakfast, coffee, orange juice and paying for my ticket* (touch under 20 quid for the lot), I resumed in much the same vein, full stomach and out in the fresh air.
* The fisheries policy is that you pay in the café on arrival or if you arrive before it opens, then you can start fishing and go and pay as soon as it opens. A rule that relies on honesty of the angler and also a rule that we observed is quite often broken by some in the past and previous to yesterdays visit (been going about 10 years), we have seen no bank-side checks, we have always arrived at dawn and then gone for a brekky and paid our ticket......

...........Late morning a lady appears behind me (a lady who had exchanged good morning pleasantries with us when we sorted out our brekky and ticket ect), with an opening gambit of 'did you read the rules on-line before you came'. I mentioned I hadn't and looked at her to see if there was a problem. 'Can I see your ticket', I showed her the receipt from breakfast, they don't issue a ticket here, its a till receipt- she studied it for some time and handed it back to me. 'You can only use one rod', 'oh sorry I advised I didn't know', 'can you take one of your rods out by the time I have gone around', 'apologetically I advised I would take it out right away'. The lady walked off to continue her rounds and I took out one of my rods, attached the rig to the rod and rested it back in the pod.

I sat back and continued fishing, feeling bad that I had broken a rule, whilst at the same time a little miffed with the blunt manner I had been addressed with. I watched her complete her rounds around the lake, and the laughter and banter she had with the lads on the far side, not needing to check their ticket as she confirmed that 'you are in the cabin aren't you', on completing her loop she shouted across to me 'have you taken that rod out', I replied 'yes' and she advised 'thank you'.

Settling down to enjoy my fishing again I looked around the lake, angler watching as you do; observing the bloke opposite getting nearer and nearer to one of my baited spots with each of his casts until he nailed it-right on top of it, well left of where his peg put him, but right in front of mine-I didn't say anything, observing the anglers surface fishing with bread (checked the rules when I got home -and as I thought-surface fishing isn't permitted). Hard week at work, na just leave it and enjoy the fresh air.

Footsteps behind me and then the lad from the café appears in the corner of my eye 'I have been sent down to make sure that you have taken your second rod out'. I advised I had and picked up the rod from the pod to show him, he said that's fine 'it just looks like from up there that its still in'. He wasn;t comfortable with having been made to come and perform what was a second check in total since I had first been asked-and a second check since I told the lady I would take it out right away after being asked the first time-which I had I advised him. He was keen to leave me alone, but I did suggest to him that may be they put the rules up on a board or on the back of a proper day ticket they could issue as I didn't have the internet with me. I asked him if he could give me a copy of the rules, he advised he would get me some.

Lunchtime approaches, just prior to that a coach had been doing some good work with a lad and parent watching on proudly, the lad had a few fish in the hour or so session, good stuff I though to myself. Was also a few parents brought their kids for some fishing, which was equally good to see.

We go and have our lunchtime pint in the café and a good pint it was. Its the lad serving and he advised 'oh I need to sort those rules out for you don't i', 'yes please' I said. Never did get a copy of the rules in the remaining 4 hours we were fishing after the pint. But hey ho, I have now had time and availability to check them since, realising that I clearly wasn't the only rule breaker on the day with the un-challenged surface fishing going on......

A check of the website also mentions 3 lakes in its opening line of the description, there is actually one now, however, assuming the rules that lady referred to are up to date on the same website then it also states that no dogs are allowed on the fishing lake.

So, after a nice pint, I relax again, now targeting the edge, substituting the rod with the open water rig on, for the edge rig on the rod I had wound in previously........

Yap yap yap, the dog with the couple who had moved in to my right, was clearly annoyed at the local geese swimming near it in the margin in what is their native habitat, the geese clearly agitated, this continuing on and off for about an hour, until the angler got off his box and took the dog for a short walk around a bit of the lake. Classic comment from the blokes wife/partner to the bloke regarding the dogs continual whining and yelping 'he is ok until those ducks start up'.

As the dog started to come to terms with the fact it had barked the geese into submission, a barbecue started up at one of the cabins, I didn't mind all the noise and bad language coming from it, but can speculate that a few lady's present may have, may be some blokes too, especially the ones fishing with their kids.

As with the surface anglers, didn't see anyone come and challenge the dog owner, not once, twice or three times in fact. Rule making is all about clarity in the first instance, which overall they are clear, as long as you check in advance in this case, although I would suggest that 75% of anglers on the venue would reply 'no' to the question I was first tackled with. Although one rule isn't clear 'no large boilies to be used'.....define large, indicative of how conflict could be created when you have anglers understanding angling and people enforcing rules who don't. Its all opinion on what is large and too vague in this instance, no boilies bigger than xxxxxmm to be used would be better surely.

The second aspect of rules is that they are applied consistently, plenty of rule breakers on there yesterday, but just the one challenged, I was in the wrong in the first instance, but did immediately as was asked, after that there are also others in the wrong I feel.

Roll on the 16th June.

Phoenixicus

Account Locked
Deserved to be banned :D:D:D:D

Don't worry mate, tranquility is not that far away now.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
A good post and typical of a few fisheries that don't know or dont uphold their own rules.
Also typical of the mentality that believes everyone has access to the internet or the fishery Facebook page when a simple sign or notice at the fishery would suffice.

Phoenixicus

Account Locked
Walked around a day ticket water Bank Holiday Monday and had a chat with the old guy who collects the money.
He has been doing it for 20 years and although could be a dick was always fine with me and used to let me shoot with his rifle.
On my way back from the other pools he was sat with two older guys who were both fishing groundbait method feeders - rule boards clearly state no groundbait.
He obviously knew them well as had a chair set out and was eating food from their coolbox.

All about the face fitting

Blanks

Site Supporter
Sounds like a poorly run fishery. Rules are rules and should apply to all.

Phoenixicus

Account Locked
It's a lovely place with some great fish but I haven't fished it for years.
Has quite a chav element there now and after listening to the rubbish they were shouting across one of the pools I won't be trying any time soon.
Agree with you, rules should apply to all so there cannot be any favouritism.

160642fishing

Site Supporter
I think I'd find another fishery.Sometimes these fishery owners/managers have to be seen to be believed,I went to my local lake a couple of seasons ago,went in the shop and bought a ticket,had a chat with the bloke who served me and went on the lake,I was the only one on it,about an hour later he rolled up and asked to see my ticket,I said you've only just sold it me," I know but I've been told to check everyone" he said.

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
fished a pond on a match a few year back

done quite well, picked up a section win envelope

mate came along as I was packing away, got to jawing as you do and he asked how I caught

method with mini boilie hookbait I replied

learnt then, boilies were banned

WickerDave

Site Supporter
I must admit I interpret the "No groundbait" rule as no balling in of vast amounts of balls of groundbait, and happily use it on a method feeder. Perhaps I'm not as rule abiding as I thought!

Northantslad

'Any indications?
Site Supporter
The face fitting bit may hold some strength, also may be how much money you have spent, those surface fishing and using loud bad language, were the ones staying in the cabin. Although to be fair, whilst the lady's levels of knowledge knew what two rods is, she may not know what a surface fishing set up looks like, although as I say she walked past them exchanging light hearted banter with them, not really looking at anything.

I was happy with what I got for my 25 quid spent whilst on site, don't expect any leeway for money spent, value for money materialistically, but treatment and the whole inconsistency thing, shocking.

I was in the wrong from the outset and was grateful for not being asked to leave, beyond that moment in time I realised I had actually been treated inconsistently to others. From that point on, people in the wrong were all those also breaking rules and those that I met that run it/assist in its running that didn't challenge the other rule breakers. Bit of a cheek really, refer me to rules on the web, then let others do as they please in contradiction of the rules on the web. Shame really, lovely place and setting. Waterloo Farm.

spanky

Irregular Member
Site Supporter
This kid of stuff winds me up...

One local fishery had unwritten rules - one was minimum line strength, the owner informed me of this on one occasion only to say "I really must put that up on the board some time". Well duh.

Another place had the biggest and most complicated set of rules I've ever seen. But what you don't see is that half of them no longer apply, but they haven't updated the board. Which when you consider method feeders were banned on the board, but permitted in reality does leave you feeling a bit deprived.

Personally I am quite happy to fish within the rules, just make them clear and fairly enforced. If they are too restrictive (one local fishery bans all loose feed) then I will vote with my feet.

G0zzer2

Site Supporter
Unfortunate, but one of the attractions of fishing is that it's not an exact science. Actually I think the fishery was being quite lenient in allowing you to have the second rod still set up - under EA rules if a rod has a hook on it it is being used. Did you not realise it's only one rod, or has the rule changed recently?

Yes, it's annoying when the fishery allows others to break rules. But I think you were wise not to draw their attention to it. And I agree that some are terrible with their rules. Since these commercials are being run as businesses many don't deserve to make a profit - I've seen no end with several old websites, which they neglect to take down, all showing different rules. It's easy to fall foul of something. But it looks as if they treated you fairly.

Phoenixicus

Account Locked
Interesting point about the rods being classed as set-up if they have hooks attached.
How do the match guys get around having 4/5/6 top kits and 1 or two rods set-up?

G0zzer2

Site Supporter
Good point which I had not thought about before. I checked the EA rules to get that little gem! Worth following up. I'll have to make enquiries. But I've had my licence checked in the last year, and he never said anything. Perhaps it's one rule for use good-looking blokes and one for the rest!

Phoenixicus

Account Locked
Great spot though Gozzer,even the EA guys we have in our club never say anything.

Northantslad

'Any indications?
Site Supporter
Thanks for your input all.
I have rang the fishery this afternoon and had a polite and constructive chat with the lady in question. I introduced myself as the angler who had been asked etc etc.....and apologised again. Mentioned that I was grateful for not being asked to leave the fishery. I advised that I have now read the rules and she advised that rules are there for fish welfare and I advised yes I completely understand that. I mentioned that having read the rules last night though, I had noticed that there was a no dogs on the fishery ruling and explained about the dog in the afternoon. She advised politely that whilst they try and get around as often as possible they can't all the time. Keeping things proactive I didn't mention that the lady managed to spare her time and then that of another employee to check on me in the space of an hour. I then mentioned about the surface fishing being undertaken and the no surface fishing ruling on the website, she reiterated much of the same response.

I advised that it is a good thing that someone now goes around the lake to do checks and mentioned that it is the first time in 10 years we had seen someone come round and that there will have been plenty not bothering with a ticket in the past. She thanked me for bringing all of these things to her attention and that they would continue to monitor things closely, she advised that the fishery aspect is going through some changes at the moment. Wishing to keep the conversation proactive, I neglected to point out that a dog yapping like it was would surely have been heard and necessitated a trip down from the café by someone. I loosely mentioned the bad language from the barbecue and she advised that the lads were there on a stag weekend. Again, wishing to keep things proactive and it is none of my business what their target market is, I didn't give my opinion on hosting a stag party on a lake where younger anglers are present.

Glad I have spoken to the Lady and had a constructive conversation regarding my experiences yesterday.

Last edited:

spanky

Irregular Member
Site Supporter
Gozzer, do you have a link about the rod setup thing please. I've just had a browse and couldn't locate it.

THanks

Last edited:

Northantslad

'Any indications?
Site Supporter
Yes, thats really interesting Gozzer, perhaps start a thread about, as I am sure that rule as you explained it, will affect and apply to a good many of us who have made up rods with us on the bank for varying tactics throughout the day or match.

G0zzer2

Site Supporter
The bit I got that from is: www,gov,uk/fishing-licences

and the relevant piece (if I have interpreted it correctly)comes under Tackle you can use: :
Rods that aren’t affected by licence limits
The following rods aren’t affected by licence limits unless they have hooks attached:
  • spod rods (used to propel bait into water)
  • marker rods (used to mark out lines)
  • https://www.gov.uk/fishing-licences/buy-a-fishing-licence

• N
    ow I know that in the days of the old River Boards and the Water Authority licences it was always the case that if you had a rod made up they would interpret it as you 'using' it, and could prosecute if they caught you with a rod made up on a river bank in the close season, even if you weren't using it.
I can't find anything in the current entries as direct as that - they refer you to' local bylaws', which they don't actually give you. But it looks to me, from that entry, as if they regard any rod with a hook attached as sort of being in use. I may be incorrect, and if so I apologise. But just for my own interest I will try and find out.

Does anyone else know for certain?