Day ticket or commercial membership

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
reading on another site

theres been talk and announcements that a few well established commercial venues are converting to membership only waters in 2020

these include (as I have been informed, not confirmed), Barford lakes, Colemans cottage and Old bury hill,

how do you feel about this, will if it comes to pass, effect you, or will you just go elsewhere that still makes a day ticket purchase available

are day ticket anglers becoming alienated or is the idea of a season ticket better with more benefits for a regular local angler

how would you think that the match scene will be effected

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
Our waters are members only (no day ticket) but I do like to fish day ticket waters further afield. What I won't do is fish waters that you need a mortgage to join and might only fish 2 or 3 times a year. So personally, Id be looking for somewhere else if that happened.

Simon Walsh

Site Supporter
There’s certain commercials that I’ve fished, that I would pay an annual subscription. Saying that, it would depend on what they charge

BTMS

Site Supporter
Yes Colemans is going syndicate as of Jan 2020. Price £100 per annum. Does not really effect me not keen on commercials.

rd115

плак-плак
Site Supporter
reading on another site

theres been talk and announcements that a few well established commercial venues are converting to membership only waters in 2020

these include (as I have been informed, not confirmed), Barford lakes, Colemans cottage and Old bury hill,

how do you feel about this, will if it comes to pass, effect you, or will you just go elsewhere that still makes a day ticket purchase available

are day ticket anglers becoming alienated or is the idea of a season ticket better with more benefits for a regular local angler

how would you think that the match scene will be effected

I like to fish many places so not really interested in season tickets unless a water i want to fish regularly is members only or really good value.

Don't think matches will be afftected, i'd imagine matches they'll allow at their own discretion if it means lining their pockets with money, can't see them turning down the fees if 40 anglers want to turn up and have a match.

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Depends on the venue. The Old Bury Hill complex offers a decent variety of fishing and species to target and if I still lived in the area I would seriously consider membership. However Colemans Cottage offers very little by way of variety and as such wouldn't interest me at all.

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
My club used to use Coleman's Cottage... no longer it seems, but then I have stopped going to commercials these days so it's really not an issue for me

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
I've often thought my club was missing out on extra revenue by not allowing day tickets. I think what may happen with our club is that it will drop off a cliff one day if we can't drum up some interest from young anglers. They call me the ' young un ' and I'm 52. ?.

RichB

It's potentially a short sighted move. I've only just got back into angling this year after a long break. One thing that has struck me is how inaccessible it is now for younger people to get involved, and hear how participation is down.

You don't fish the rivers near where I live, there's no course fish in them and very few trout and even fewer salmon. When I started fishing we went to the reservoir on the edge of town or there was an estate with 3 lakes. The reservoir used to cost £6 a season, one weeks paper round money when I was 14. The estate lakes were £1 a day. The reservoir is now more than £6 a day and £60 a season ticket. I don't know any 14 yr old who can earn £60 a week for that. The estate lakes are now syndicated and are about £250 a year.

I've been lucky this year, I got in on a members lake for £25/yr and my children can fish for free. The guy who runs these lakes is super keen to get children into fishing. Other children wouldn't be so lucky to have a parent or grandparent who is a member.

Angling needs to be much more accessible to newcomers. Commercials need to think about where their future customers are coming from.

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
It's not good news for the traveling angler or matchmen, but it might just be good for a few clubs. I know good numbers of anglers that avoid day ticket waters like the plague. The perception for them, right or wrong, is that busy day ticket waters offer a high chance of your vehicle being turned over in the car park, fishing for battered fish, seeing some dismal angling practices, and rubbing shoulders with some people that they'd rather not do so. Therefore, it might just see some fishing waters that they wouldn't consider visiting when they were genuinely open to all and sundry. The way that some people behave on open-access fisheries, I'm not surprised that some owners will consider ways to reduce access, even if it does mean less income. For so many day ticket waters, the income from them is largely incidental. The alternative on some day ticket waters is that they close altogether. The average farmer with a pond or stretch of river isn't really that likely to miss the hassle or the relatively minor revenue stream.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
I don't fish the same place that often to want to, or get good value from, paying an annual membership, Likewise as mentioned what happens re the matches, are visitors allowed, are the opens members only, will the matches become a clique of the same names? So much to consider.

Angling is not just about turning up to fish the same place over and over to me, it's about the variety. The variety of species out there to be caught, the variety of venues to fish, and the people we meet along the way.

Commercials becoming 'members only' is just another term for syndication.
I suppose from a fishery's point of view it provides a known income annually which could I suppose aid their cash flow; but I also think it is a short term gain which could cost angling dear in the long run, and not just financially.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
Some anglers, like myself, have no option but to fish the same place. I no longer drive and the club waters are only 10 to 15 minutes walk away which means I had to join the club to be able to fish in the first place. Yes, sly takes me to different places, for which I'm very grateful, but that's weather dependent and as we all know, it can be a decent day where you are but get to where you're going and the weather is all over the place.

There's nothing wrong with the clubs waters, having plenty of species to target (9 or 10 different species), some pegs are 'fliers', others test your skills but I know every peg, it's contours and what you're likely to catch, so it isn't a challenge to me any more. The same faces, some lone anglers and those in their own little 'gang', others that you can't advise because they've fished the same peg for 'x' amount of years therefore know both lakes inside out type of thing.

There are no rivers, canals etc. within walking distance so I'm stuck with what I have and I'm not the only angler in same predicament. It's getting to the point where I'm thinking of giving it up.

Suilven

There's also the opposite side of the coin where both of the 2 commercials within a 100 mile radius of me in central scotland no longer do memberships and are day ticket only. When you visit either or both once a week it soon adds up to a lot of money and a membership would save a massive amount.

We've already worked out it has been more expensive than joining a gym, spa, golf club etc and that's before fuel, bait and tackle.

Gwillim

Looks like its going to be club waters for me and an odd day at a commercial, as good as Cefn Mably is (that being my closest commercial). its in the middle of nowhere and the access roads to it are not great and at £9.50 a day is expensive compared to a local club I can join for £20 for the year that has 5 waters to fish and its main lake site has a Cafe which is open for most of the year April - Oct then weekends only in November then closing during the winter months.

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
Commercials becoming 'members only' is just another term for syndication.

I can't quite agree with that. The word syndicate/syndication has become corrupted in angling and many anglers have a strong negative reaction to the word. That's perhaps not surprising when they lose access to water due to it. However, there are an awful lot of perceptions about syndicates (genuine syndicates or not) that aren't always accurate. The prime one being that they always cost a small fortune. The cheapest syndicate I've been a member of was £50 a year. If they do cost a huge amount, it'll be for a few reasons, or a combination thereof. a) the landowner is charging a fortune in rent. b) the syndicate has an aggressive and expensive ongoing stocking policy. c) Angler numbers are severely limited or d) someone within the syndicate is making money out of it (nothing inherently wrong with that, but it's not a genuine syndicate).

If there's no limit to membership numbers, it's not a true syndicate. If someone is making money (other than a landowner getting his lease money), it's not a genuine syndicate. Any excess cash should be there for improvements around the water and restocking. If the members have no say at all in the running of the water, it's not a syndicate. Whatever a commie going members only is, it's not really syndication, though there's little doubt that many willcall it that anyway.

map

Surprised at Colemans. Last time I was there they were building several lodges/pods.
Along with barford, they also have a tackle shop on site and a cafe. Surely these will suffer with less passing trade.

Mind boggles

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
I've often thought my club was missing out on extra revenue by not allowing day tickets. I think what may happen with our club is that it will drop off a cliff one day if we can't drum up some interest from young anglers. They call me the ' young un ' and I'm 52. ?.

I take it you have a ready supply of volunteers to bailiff the waters and sell tickets 7 days a week.

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
Will these members only commies still charge a day ticket or does your annual fee cover all days you want to fish.

I assume they will still take club bookings and run open matches.