Day ticket chalkstream fishing

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
If time and weather allows I'm planning on having a couple chalkstream sessions over the next few months as they seem to fish pretty well through the winter. The question is which bits of which river would people recommend?

In terms of chalkstreams I've fished probably 6 or 7 times on a free stretch of the Itchen downstream of Winchester that's full of grayling and brownies but that's tended to be late summer and early autumn and once on the Hampshire Avon at fordingbridge for one chub in near flood February conditions but that's all. I know of the following bits of day ticket water so I'd be interested to hear the opinions of anyone that's fished them and of course any others I don't know about?

Hampshire Avon - fordingbridge (got unfinished business with it), Salisbury, britford, ringwood and Christchurch.
Itchen - lower Itchen fishery
Test - timsbury
Kennet - aldermarston, Barton court

Thanks in advance!

spanky

Irregular Member
Site Supporter
I've fished the Test at Timsbury a few times and always caught. Last time (in December a few years back) I had over 20 grayling to 1.5lb and a similar number of trout to 4lb. All on simple trotted maggot tactics. You had to keep mobile as the swims would often dry up after a few fish, but it was well worth the effort in cold conditions.

Definitely worth talking with the bailiff as well - he put me on a few fish in swims I would probably not have necessarily tried.

Day Tickets, for Salisbury and District Angling Club

• Lords Walk
    Trout – £10 per day, Coarse £5 per day, tickets available from Hill’s Cycles & Fishing Tackle. Smithfield St, Amesbury, Wiltshire SP4 7AL. Tel: 01980 622705
  • Town Water
    Trout – £10 per day, Coarse £8 per day, tickets available from GT Bait & Tackle, Unit 8a, Glenmore Business Park, Telford Road, Salisbury SP2 7GL. Tel: 01722 333097
    email: gtbaitand tackle@mail.com
  • Nadder Constable Fishery
    as Town Water above.
  • L. A. A. BRITFORD. Pay on the bank. The bailiff is available every day. £10.00.
    Hope this helps?
  • Buck.

Blanks

Site Supporter
I moved house this summer near salisbury, I can see the avon from the bedroom windows, not had chance to fish it yet as too much work to do on the house. I can see there are some fantastic bits of river within the area and I fancy a bash at lords walk for the grayling over the christmas holiday.
Buck, that is really useful information.

Last edited:

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Thanks spanky does seem timsbury is a pretty reliable bit of water.

Thats really helpful buck thanks, surprised how reasonable that all is price wise.

lords walk for the grayling over the christmas holiday.
Buck, that is really useful information.

Fantastic stretch of the Avon for Grayling. On a good day you will bank a lot.
Downside, you will also net a lot of Trout.

Midweek is the best. Wait till the frost has killed of the weed. The river was very low through the Summer, hence the heavy weed growth.

Buck.

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
It think Shawford on the itchen navigation is free water

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Yeah arry Shawford area is where I usually fish the itchen, lovely spot if you don’t mind the stream of walkers on the narrow path as is full of trout and grayling.

Paying on the bank at Britford is quite appealing from the time saving point of view so definitely be interested in trying that. Would hopefully be able to do that and one of the Salisbury waters in the same weekend.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Indeed think you’d get shot if you tried to fish the main river there haha! Below is a report I did on the navigation in case anyone’s interested

Itchen trotting