Day out at Elphicks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
This all started out with Geoff asking me a couple of months ago to suggest a venue that he could visit on a free weekend.

As with all harmless requests it soon turned into a mini Fish-in,as when i suggested Elphicks Geoff realised that he could tie it in with a visit to Mum in Hastings.

Wey Back (mick) had just joined M/D's and Geoff had established that they had fished in similar areas in the past,and Beebs (steve)was soon roped in to join the party.

So a post was put on the Fishing Talk Forum (For Wey Back or Beebs} and as these things are prone to do,it developed a life of it's own.
Soon NoFinPhish (Jason) had decided to accompany Beebs and Martin found himself available to have a crack at a new water.
Alan P (Eastangler) then decided that it would be a nice day out for himself and his son Loz P.
Newbie Dave the Fish liked the look of it as well and joined in,so we all decided to meet at 7am in the Car Park.

Geoff stayed at my place overnight,and we set off at 6am towards Elphicks.
6.30am and we have come to a grinding halt on the A21,and there we sat for the next 3 hours caught in a 5 mile tailback. crybaby2.gif

AAAAAAAAAAAGGGGHHHHHHHH......
Datafile3.jpg

During all this Chaos Dave the Fish managed to save a young lady's blushes by hastily erecting his brolly to shield her as nature called,and as she told us after "It was the most impressive 50 inches" she had ever seen.[:I]
Meanwhile mobiles were ringing to find out where everyone was,or more correctly wasn't.

Well the Traffic finally moved and Geoff,Dave and I Finally arrived,just in time to see Beebs having a nice Carp of 13lbs weighed by Martin.
Introductions were made and swims were picked and finally we were ready for the off.
Due to the recent dry spell the lake was a good foot below it's normal level and all those that had chosen the far side platforms could find was about 18 inches of water.I took advantage of peg 11 (which i have fished before[;)]) being free and had about 3 feet on the pole line.[:p]

Sport it has to be said was far from hectic,but everyone was getting the odd 1 or 2 examples of the various species that inhabit the lake.
I had got off the mark with a tench of about 3lbs and a few Rudd caught on an Expanda pellet.
About noon Joe32 put in an appearance as agreed to collect some tackle that various members of the site have donated to help him get a youth project off the ground.This was taken as an excuse to adjourn to Sally's Reel Food Bar in the car park for another round of chat,tea's & burgers. cheeseburger.gif

As with all these sort of days,fishing seems to take a back seat,but during the afternoon i managed to bring my total upto 12 Tench (6 green & 6 golden)with a few skimmers thrown in for good measure.

Datafile3.jpg
A Goldie for Me.

Meanwhile Geoff had got himself a nice Golden Orfe and was adding to his species count

Hello Uncle Geoff [;)]......
Datafile3.jpg

Martin was coming to terms with a peg considerably shallower than he is used to on the drains,as was a pal of his (Reg) who had come down with Martin for the day

Martin.........
Datafile3.jpg

Datafile3.jpg

.............Reg.[:)]

Wey Back and Dave the Fish were engaged in various states of relaxation as this whole get-together thing with the Maggotdrowners was a first (but hopefully not the last) for them.........

Datafile3.jpg
Wey Back (Mick)

Datafile3.jpg
Dave the Fish

Alan P and his son Loz were suffering with a definate lack of water in their swims and so moved onto the next Lake (Kettles) in the afternoon and things picked up a bit for them with Alan finally being able to christen his new pole.[:)] though young Loz took things easy as he was suffering a headache.[:(]

Datafile3.jpg Datafile3.jpg

Alan & Loz.

Beebs having had his generous gift for Uncle Geoff refused (A Welsh Baseball Cap) split his time between the 2 lakes while Jason soldiered on.

Datafile3.jpg

Beebs & Jason.

All too soon it was time for me to leave so i made my way around and bid my farewells.As usual the fishing seemed to have come 2nd and in truth the lake didn't fish as well as it can,but it seemed as if everyone had enjoyed themselves,and Uncle Geoff even managed to add a Crucian to his tally as i bid him farewell.

Datafile3.jpg
Uncles Crucian.

Me? I had a blast,Thanks to all the lads that came down,Hope you all enjoyed yourselves,we must do it again sometime.
Well that's my version,lets see what the others have to say about the day.[:D][;)]

Peter.
Datafile3.jpg
Make Friends,Go Maggotdrowning.

Del-J

' Victor '
Great report Peter as usual[:p].

It would seem a smashing day was had by all even allowing for the traffic well done lads.[:D][:D]

Del
victor_meldrew75.jpg

I DO believe it.

Polepot

Poles
Great Report Peter wish I could have been there but I think the traffic would have been just too much.

Poles

wales.gif
Great info, great guys, great fun, thats Maggot Drowners
fish.gif

Beebs

Can't really add anything else to that, Pete. Your right, it was a blast.

Datafile3.asp

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Excellent report Peter thumbsup.gif

quote:During all this Chaos Dave the Fish managed to save a young lady's blushes by hastily erecting his brolly to shield her as nature called,and as she told us after "It was the most impressive 50 inches" she had ever seen [:I]

ROFLMAO - Just part of the MD service [:D], but where's that photo lol ?

Dave
Datafile2.asp

Lid

Very nice report Peter. Sounds like a good day, apart from the traffic.

Lid [:)]

Wey Back

Suvern Softee!
quote:ROFLMAO - Just part of the MD service , but where's that photo lol ?

Don't put that photo up Dave the fish, he (Dave) will just do a copy and paste to his PC then moderate your post![:0]

LOL
Mick

Datafile2.asp

teepee

12/04/02 - 10/01/19
In Memoriam
Great report Peter, when you see the pictures it makes you want to be there, well done to all...

teepee.

Beebs

Actually Peter, I am getting withdrawal symptoms already. If you fancy another attack on Elphicks give me a shout, as I fancy a bash at some cats on one of the other lakes, otherwise I'm never gonna win this fishing race!!!

Datafile3.asp

dave the fish

Site Supporter
Well what a day. It was great to meet all those who went to Elphicks as this was my first time out and I didnt know what to expect.
Left on time, stop for some fags dont worry will make up time easily. Whats this - traffic jam on the A21 at 6.30 in the morning never seen that before.
1 hour later havent moved and begin to wonder what the other MDs are going to think after making arrangements and then I dont turn up. Never mind make the best if it and go for a walk and see what anyone knows. Talk to a rather tasty young woman where can I go to the loo, its alright for you blokes, you can go anywhere so being a gentleman I offer the use of my brolly for her to hide behind, which she declines. 15 mins later she is getting rather desperate and asks How big is it Its very big says I and proceed to get it out. Thats the biggest one I have ever seen, dont worry about the extension thats more than enough for me. Unfortunately no photo available. ( Memo to self must get a digital camera )
Another satisfied female.
A little while later take another walk and end up chatting to two guys who are also going to Elphicks with MD fleeces on. " youre Uncle Geoff arent you ". Its amazing you drive god nows how far to meet total strangers and end up stuck in the same jam a few yards from each other. Well after introductions I dont feel so bad and after 3 hours we are on our way again.

We finally arrive at Elphicks and spend a while saying hello to everyone. This lot dont appear to be a bad bunch I thought and settled down to make the best of a bad start to the day. Ended up in the corner a couple of pegs from Uncle Goeff ( Now I understand where half your problems come from Jacko ) Got out the pole and set up only to find I have only 18 inches of water still it doesnt usually worry the fish so carry on.
After a short time got my first decent bite and yards of elastic disappear into the lake Tench 4lb 1oz. Martin does the honours with the scales and camera. My first tench for ages. Bites were few and far between but a few fish came to the net the next being an Ide ( perhaps I should enter the fishing race ) Then an Orfe followed by a skimmer, rudd roach. This was hard work at 11 metres but interspersed with a couple of visits to the burger van and copious amount of chat I felt like one of the lads.
The highlight must have been Goeff volunteering to wear a Welsh cap for part of the dayhe is so considerate.

The fishing was not the best but the company certainly was. Thanks to all the MDs for making me so welcome. If any of you fancy another day out I am up for it.

Dave

AlanP

'EastAngler'
Hello this is Loz P. I know I had a headache late in the day, but overall a good day.[:)].

We were lucky enough to miss the traffic jam.[:D], but I was unlucky that I had to go with my Dad who chose a swim with about 5 inches of water in imwithstupid.gif .

I caught a Rudd about 1lb, and Dad wasn't the only one christening a rod, as I used my new whip and caught a couple of Carp.[:I]

AlanP

MALC

Great reports from what sounds and looks like another good MD's session.[:D][:D]

MALC
Datafile2.asp
IT'S CATCHING ...BUT ARE YOU !!!

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Still waiting for Uncle Geoffs and Martins version of events[:D][:D][;)]

Peter.
Datafile3.asp

Make Friends,Go Maggotdrowning.

Dai Fish

Site Supporter
Wheres the photo of Geoff in a Wales hat? someone must have got it on film, please someone have it on film.

Great reports sounds like a good day out

Dai Fish
wales.gif
Be nice to your kids because its them that pick your nursing home!

NoFinPhish

Mighty Cat Slayer
Beebs and myself arrived at Elphicks late due to an extended mystery tour of most of Essex and Kent (too busy chatting to spot the sign for the A21). We also got stuck in the A21 queue, but were fortunate enough to be static next to a rather attractive off duty police woman from the Met. We felt brave enough to follow her the wrong way up the A21 (much to the shock of a van driver coming the opposite way!), and found an alternative route.
Beebs spent most of the day showing off, pulling in doubles on 2lb line, seeing how long he could play the fish so that EVERYONE would notice that he had caught one. The lake was approximately 6 inches shallower at the end of the day thanks to the amount of hemp he threw in.
Loz P was busy showing me how to catch fish (damn young'uns, they should be banned ;o), I think he just about beat my fish count before retiring to sleep of his headache (I got 7 Loz).
When finally pulling in my landing net to go home, I found a small common in the bottom! It was only about 4 inches long. At least Beebs thought it was a baby common, I couldn't tell. I suppose it doesn't count in the fishing race though.
It was great to meet everyone, nice bunch of blokes. Looking forward to doing it again sometime soon.

Jason

AlanP

'EastAngler'
Your reputation as an Ace Angler is still intact Justin Jason[:I], Laurie ended up with 5 fish before retiring for a nap.

It was a good day all round really with everybody catching. I had the chance to try out my new pole, and although I missed loads of bites, and lost some that I hooked I still ended up with about a dozen fish overall.

As Laurie said we did better once we changed to the the lake behind us which had a reasonable depth of water. I was getting loads of bites on a method rod I had setup as well, and could have put a smaller hookbait on that and bagged up, but I wanted to take the opportunity to concentrate on the pole while there were more experienced anglers around to advise (Thanks Martin and Peter).

There's certainly a knack to this pole lark, you seem to need about 3 pairs of hands to hold the pole, put some loose feed out and drink a cup of tea [:eek:)]. And as for getting some loose feed out to the right location in a pole cup, well I'll certainly need to practice more.

Beebs ceratinly doesn't spare the groundbait though does he [:D]. Mind you give him credit where it's due, his accuracy with the spod rod meant everybody else's swim got baited up as well [;)].

AlanP

Last edited:

NoFinPhish

Mighty Cat Slayer
Hi Alan

The name is Jason...though I could name a few ex-girlfriends of mine that would not disagree with you [:I] [:D]

Jason

AlanP

'EastAngler'
Jason

I do know that, and in fact there is a reminder at the bottom of your posting [:)] - Sorry I wasn't thinking as I typed.

AlanP

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
After reading the reports of such notable fiction writers such as Beebs, Peter and Wey Back I thought it was time the real truth was told. I hated every minute of the b&&$ day and the company was dreadful. [:D][:D] Fear not. I lie.

The days fishing had been arranged as an excuse for me to get home and see my mother, I had asked Weyback or Beebs to arrange something in the South East and Peter came good with the idea of a day at Elphicks Fishery. Martin is always eager for a day out in company and AlanP and his son showed an interest.

Peter made enough noise to waken the dead early on the Saturday morning. Thankfully I had already awoken. A swift cup of coffee, cars packed and we were on our way to Horsmonden in Kent.

As usual, when you think things are going well, something happens to spoil it. Heading along the A21 we came across a queue of traffic. Peter reckoned we would be there some time so I contacted Martin and Beebs to tell them of the trouble. Martin had been held up in fog so was running late, and Beebs had decided to take a scenic route through the Dartford Tunnel and back. Only a Welshman would think that Kent is the North side of the Thames. Even with a warning he still got caught up in the tail back but luckily enough managed to extricate himself.

As Peter has stated, Dave (50) the Fish introduced himself (thoughts of Of all the bars etc) and we stood there chatting for some time.

Eventually we got on our way, after a delay of just over 3 hours. We finally made it to Elphicks Fishery round about 10 am. Only 3 hours late.

We met up with the other intrepids who had made it quite easily. Nice to meet Martin, Alan and Steve again, and good to meet a couple of new faces. Nophinfish (Jason) and Weyback (Mick), and also Alans son and Martins mate Reg.

Peter and Dave the Fish just standing around, talking as per usual.
Datafile3.asp

Actually we were waiting for "Uncle" to get his A**e in gear,so we could get a burger. cheeseburger.gif

I sat myself down between Martin and Reg and set up my pole to fish at 8 metres, in about 18 of water. Things were not hectic during the day but I managed to bring a variety of fish to the net, all on caster. Bream of 2lb 9oz, Golden Orfe of 2lb 5oz, a nice Crucian of about a lb and my first Golden Tench. Another one for the fishing race.

Martin with a nice fish.
Datafile3.asp

Joe 32 came for a visit and we all retired to the Chuck Wagon for a nosh and a chat. Nice to have met you Joe and I hope the kids make good use of the kit.

Beebs did try to get me to wear some strange heathen garb, but I declined. Pay back is being planned at this moment in time. But I will still post this mug shot. At least the fish looks good[:D]
Datafile3.asp

I fished until about 6pm, packed up said my good byes then made my way to my mothers, near Hastings via The Squirrel Inn, Battle, for a couple of pints of Harveys Sussex Bitter. It has been some time but what a good pint.

A good typical MDs day out, plenty of banter, a few fish being caught and a lot of chat. Thank you all, especially to Peter and Maria for looking after me so admirably on the Friday night, and I am now looking forward to the next one at Charity Farm in Lancashire,.

Mick, hopefully I will be back in Sussex towards the end of June so we will have to get on Wallers Haven for a few hours.

Once again thanks to you all.

Geoff
Datafile3.asp

Clean Banks Campaign member
Fishing Venues UK

martin.

Account Locked
Now for my turn[}:)]
im going to skip the journey as its already been mentioned a few times.
Anyway ipulled into Elphicks & went in the cabin to check where we were going to be fishing & the niice gentleman said with a smile on his face "more maggotdrowners your on sandwich lake".
Well we pulled up in carpark & had a walk round to see who was allready there & found alan & loz on far right hand corner & weyback on the far left hand corner well after intros got back to car just to find beebs & jason pulling up, more intros & finaly after 2 trips to my peg to get my stuff there i started to set up, just to hear a massive splash thinking someone had fallen in i looked up to see a tidal wave approaching the island & beebs reeling in his bait rocket mystery solved.
anyway i just start fishing & notice beebs strike into a nice fish well when i looked down my float was just going & i swung a 6-8oz golden orfe to hand.
well i sat there watching what tured out to be a carp playing beebs trying to get him into the water so of course i shouted some encouragement over to beebs[:D][:D]
then decided to walk round to see what all the fuss was to find the carp had decided that beebs was getting tired and he would swim into his net to allow beebs a rest.
Datafile3.asp

which resulted in this loverly ghostie
Datafile3.asp

well i went back to get a few more smaller fish & then had pleasure of witnessing dave the fish land this tench.
Datafile3.asp

i then had a selection of other fish inc this golden orfe for another 3 pionts in the race
Datafile3.asp

i then wieghed a few more fish for people inc a nice little bream for geoff
Datafile3.asp

who also got his fist golden tench of the year for the race
Datafile3.asp

geoff did get a selection of other fish & made a loverly job of playing with them
Datafile3.asp

well my final tench tally was 4 goldies & 3 green topped by this one at 3-12
Datafile3.asp

any way it soon rolled round to home time and as i was packing up another carp had decided to play with beebs resulting in this loverly mirror
Datafile3.asp

which he done well in landing on 2lb line.
what better way to end a great day out with a great bunch of friends
thanks to all for the company & making it another MAGGOTDROWNERS DAY
A BIG THANKS TO YOU ALL

tight lines.
martin.
Datafile3.asp

talk fishing flip football

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.