David Copperfield, To Watch Or Not

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
Last night I watched episode 1 of Avenue 5. I won't bother with episode 2. As funny as a broken arm. I noticed that Armando Iannuci's name appeared at least five times in the credits.

He is also director, writer and producer of the new David Copperfield film. Until last night I had been planning to go and see the film this afternoon. Now I don't know if that will be a waste of time and money.

Reviews seem ok but a couple on Avenue 5 are similarly good (why I do not understand).

Decisions decisions.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
In my opinion, you'll get better entertainment from pulling an eye out with a rusty hook and having a game of marbles with it.

Dusty

Site Supporter
Saw the trailer for this at the cinema the other day and it looks absolutely dreadful.

fishcatcher4

Site Supporter
Didn't only fools and horses have similar revues in it's first series.;)

Not watched Avenue 5 yet though.

Comedy is a very personnel thing though.

spanky

Irregular Member
Site Supporter
I watched this last night... trouble with new comedies is that it takes a while for the characters to bed in, in the first episode not a lot will happen we just get introduced to the characters. location and overall premise, it'll take a few before we see where this is going...

However initial impressions are not great, too many OTT performances and I'm not sure yet whether I want them to survive or not... but I will persevere for now.

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
Once people pass through the wall and see it for what it is they might enjoy it.
I thought it was magic and it shattered the illusion of how things should be.

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
Took the plunge and parted with my £8. Wish I hadn't. To call the film David Copperfield is an insult to Dickens. I think Iannuci has tried to improve Dickens. Supposedly a comedy I heard laughter from the audience twice in two hours. By the end the book had been all but forgotten as it became clear that Iannuci could not fit the rest of it into the second hour. So the story was carved up and re-written (badly) to fit.

Took a while to get used to the colourblind casting, but it was, to me, a high point that such a story could be told with such a varied cast.

Pompous git

Site Supporter
My favourite Dicken`s tale David Copperfield. Best version is the one with Anthony Andrews {might be a TV version} the scene when
McCawber calls Heap`s bluff is very entertaining.

Markywhizz

Clueless member
Site Supporter
I’m not a fan of Armando Iannuci. He did lots of radio comedy in the nineties and I never found any of it very funny.