Dark liquidised bread.

Total

Site Supporter
I’ve tried different colours with 8 and 10mm pop up discs but, when it comes to roach 4mm white punch seems to do most of the damage. I’m for experimenting but ..... if it ain’t broke etc.

Don't laugh, but, was having roach from 8 to 12 oz on 12 mm popped up discs when after carp one session last Winter! :love::ROFLMAO:....Bit of tutti frutti power smoke Goo on it!.....My mate was shaking his head and pulling his hair out! :oops::deal::eyepop:

Last edited:

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Don't laugh, but, was having roach from 8 to 12 oz on 12 mm popped up discs when after carp one session last Winter! :love::ROFLMAO:....Bit of tutti frutti power smoke Goo on it!.....My mate was shaking his head a pulling his hair out! :oops::deal::eyepop:
Very nice Mark. A while since I’ve seen such a nice roach. Got me thinking .... maybe it’s time I upped the size of my bait a tad. Some lovely big roach on commercials these days. Must be all the pellets, sweet corn and boilies they’re eating. 👍

Total

Site Supporter
Very nice Mark. A while since I’ve seen such a nice roach. Got me thinking .... maybe it’s time I upped the size of my bait a tad. Some lovely big roach on commercials these days. Must be all the pellets, sweet corn and boilies they’re eating. 👍

And the hook size.... :oops: (y)......Was surprised at the size 10/12 they were getting in their gobs....:ROFLMAO:

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
And the hook size.... :oops: (y)......Was surprised at the size 10/12 they were getting in their gobs....:ROFLMAO:
Big roach have been quite scarce for me this year Mark. I bet I’ve only seen them up to about 10 oz this year. Had quite a few big hybrids but very few big pure roach. 😩. Think I’d rather forget 2020 for good.

nutmeg

Site Supporter
The river near me ,apart from being full of specimen shopping trolley's and traffic cones , has some very large roach and dace, along with double figure barbel, but in most places it is 18" or less, and gin clear, as it is a chalk stream, a carpet of white on the bed would surely put the fish of as they would stick out like a sore thumb. I could go down the coloured groundbait route, but just wondered about colouring liquidised to give the fish more confidence to feed over it.
Only one way to find out mate, and thats to try, maybe mix up some plain white liquidised bread, and also a couple of batches in different colours of your choice. Then go for a wander along your chosen clear water river and introduce the various mixes in various swims and see if there is any response to any or all of the mixes, see if the fish shy away from any particular mix or feed on them. Perhaps just take a short whip and have a few trys in the various swims.
The clearest venue l have fished using bread punch and liquidised bread was the Bridgewater and taunton canal which was like fishing in tap water, so l used a whip so as not to have the pole over the swim, possibly spooking the fish. On putting a small ball of liquidised bread in, the resident roach were not at all shy and just attacked the bread without hesitation, they had probably seen and eaten it on many previous occassions.
Good luck with your experimenting

TrickyD

Site Supporter
That's correct liquidised bread should break up on the way down. If your laying a carpet your not doing it right.
It doesn't have far to go, 18" if I'm lucky, and the flow is not that much. I will have to experiment, as said before, and see what happens.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Over to you @tipitinmick. Put Morris's soil in a bag, £3.99. Put it in an Orange bag, £15.99🤣
I would but, he’s gone to ground. I’ve his Christmas jumper here as well. Not seen him since another mole popped up in the field behind us. I think that one maybe a ‘ Missy ‘ mole. I think he’s got other things on his mind Dave. He’ll be back when she tells him he can’t go fishing. 🤣🤣

trotter2

It doesn't have far to go, 18" if I'm lucky, and the flow is not that much. I will have to experiment, as said before, and see what happens.
At most you only want a very light sprinkle reaching the bottom. Water that's low and clear is open to predation ,a white river bed is not a great idea in these conditions.

adriang

Site Supporter
I've experimented with darkening down liquidised bread. Using regular food colourings with groundbait seems to be basically pointless, I've tried a few different brands and both liquid and powder. The colour washes out from it really quickly once in the water.

I tried a proper bait dye, Sensas Tracix, after seeing something on YouTube about it. It was better, but to be really effective it needs to be mixed with water and then mixed in. For me, that changed the consistency of my liquidised bread so it didn't cloud up in the same way. (first attempt, it was like dough). I tried putting it through a riddle, using a spray bottle, all sorts. Never got it the same, although I should note that my way to use liquidised bread is to use it with as little water as possible, applied with a spray bottle, ideally no water at all.

One piece of advice...using the Sensas dyes...take and use some rubber gloves!

Last edited:

rd350lc

That's correct liquidised bread should break up on the way down. If your laying a carpet your not doing it right.
You've not seen Rob Hewison fish the punch then .One of the finest punch anglers there is like his balls hard , rock hard !