Damp on walls

baboboy

Site Supporter
Heeellllp

I’ve noticed these marks on the walls in our kitchen and on a patch of wall paper in the lounge. These are both external walls. Our has was built in the late 1960’s. Any ideas what’s causing it or how I can treat it.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• BAA08BF5-8B93-4A9E-9476-CB2271D06CFE.jpeg
    BAA08BF5-8B93-4A9E-9476-CB2271D06CFE.jpeg
    42.5 KB · Views: 35

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
Broken gutter is usually the culprit, or broken roof tile... you need to get up and have a look

baboboy

Site Supporter
Broken gutter is usually the culprit, or broken roof tile... you need to get up and have a look
Thanks for this. These are on separate sides of the house. Also these are both low down on the house and not near the roof would that cause the same issue. ??

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
The water runs down the walls and creates the damp patches where it collects... my mother in law had the same problem in her front room... it was traced to a broken gutter

Dusty

Condensation?

Does your kitchen and bathroom extractor fan work?
Is there adequate ventilation throughout your property?
Failing that have a look outside at guttering and pointing.

edit - looking at the photo it looks more like condensation marks.

baboboy

Site Supporter
Condensation?

Does your kitchen and bathroom extractor fan work?
Is there adequate ventilation throughout your property?
Failing that have a look outside at guttering and pointing.

edit - looking at the photo it looks more like condensation marks.

Interesting. I don’t always put the extractor on and the house has been colder than normal as Sarah since her op is constantly running hot. The damp line in the kitchen goes around the door as well so not sure if the damp here is caused by the guttering.

Dusty

Interesting. I don’t always put the extractor on and the house has been colder than normal as Sarah since her op is constantly running hot. The damp line in the kitchen goes around the door as well so not sure if the damp here is caused by the guttering.

I’m struggling with condensation issues in my house currently with the cold weather we have been having.

move purchased a dehumidifier as well as trying to improve ventilation and use extractor fans.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Have you had cavity wall insulation installed at some point?

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
I could be that the insulation hasn't reached into all the cavity or has slumped leaving pockets of uninsulated cavity.
When there is a lot of moisture about, as now, condensation forms more easily and to get condensation you need warm moist air and a colder surface.
If the insulation has slumped in those areas then there will be a cold spot, hence the condensation causing the mould.

Do a visual look outside for leaking pipes and gutters, brickwork pointing missing or eroded, and also if any windows above the affected areas make sure the sealant around them is intact.

baboboy

Site Supporter
I could be that the insulation hasn't reached into all the cavity or has slumped leaving pockets of uninsulated cavity.
When there is a lot of moisture about, as now, condensation forms more easily and to get condensation you need warm moist air and a colder surface.
If the insulation has slumped in those areas then there will be a cold spot, hence the condensation causing the mould.

Do a visual look outside for leaking pipes and gutters, brickwork pointing missing or eroded, and also if any windows above the affected areas make sure the sealant around them is intact.
Thanks Dave. I’ve bribed my builder friend around to have a look. Just scared me as I haven’t noticed it before. We left the house empty for a couple of weeks and it was when we had all the rain at the end of September.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Then it sounds like water is getting into the cavity somewhere, bridging the cavity and creating the cold damp spot.
If he's got a damp test meter it will determine if it's damp or if it's condensation.

Blanks

Site Supporter
Lack of ventilation is one of the most common causes of damp and worth looking at first.
I was taught by an old boy many years ago who was a stickler for clean cavities, god help you if he spotted muck dropped on a wall tie. He said the cavity was there for a reason, to stop moisture crossing over and was adamant that ventilation should not be blocked, if you are cold add more heat was his view.

baboboy

Site Supporter
Well I thought I would provide an update. Looks like the next door neighbour in his wisdom had back filled from his drive to make it look tidy. It had gone two bricks higher than the damp proof course. I excavated small patch and even in the rain we’ve had this last week the walls remained dry. So I’ve done the rest of it today.

Attachments

• C3E845E0-992F-41B2-A680-5701352BA7DF.jpeg
    C3E845E0-992F-41B2-A680-5701352BA7DF.jpeg
    364.1 KB · Views: 30
  • BD45273B-12E8-4543-8863-63EBEEDC075D.jpeg
    BD45273B-12E8-4543-8863-63EBEEDC075D.jpeg
    326.7 KB · Views: 30

Dusty

Well I thought I would provide an update. Looks like the next door neighbour in his wisdom had back filled from his drive to make it look tidy. It had gone two bricks higher than the damp proof course. I excavated small patch and even in the rain we’ve had this last week the walls remained dry. So I’ve done the rest of it today.

Glad you’ve sorted it.
We had a rising damp issue in our house a few years ago when the DPC failed, as stupid as it sounds it got me down no end and actually made me quite ill worrying about it.
Fortunately we have had no further issues since the new DPC, touch wood.

baboboy

Site Supporter
Glad you’ve sorted it.
We had a rising damp issue in our house a few years ago when the DPC failed, as stupid as it sounds it got me down no end and actually made me quite ill worrying about it.
Fortunately we have had no further issues since the new DPC, touch wood.
It’s not daft. I whittle about most things it’s one thing in life I wish I could shake off.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Fill the trench in with 10mm gravel and it'll finish it off otherwise you'll find it fills up with leaves and such like

baboboy

Site Supporter
It was on my neighbors side. I dug gravel out which was above the dpm but solid and sand to the top of the blue bricks. He'd also bricked off where the air bricks are which I think was the main culprit of the damp,as it was holding the water back.