Daiwa ZR5 16m Pole. Sensible choice or not?

Truly

Site Supporter
I have never owned a pole but been fishing with friends who have. I thought I would have a look at the used market and came up with a Daiwa ZR5 16M that is described as in good conditoin and only used a few times ,4 power kits , 4 top 3 , 1 cupping kit, pole bag.
Would this be a sensible choice for fishing rivers and fen drains? What is a fair price please?

Blanks

Site Supporter
I see no one has replied so I will give you my take on the pole.
The XR range of poles are made in china and not scotland like the tourney et al. This does not mean they are not very good but as far as I know not compatable with the more expensive Daiwa poles. I do know that Daiwa do not put their name to sub standard tackle, their reputation is second to none. For the money I would imagine they are decent pieces of kit but my only misgiving would be the availability of spares, which would be a good idea to research prior to buying.
I cannot say what a fair price would be but checking in on the Daiwa tackle facebook page would give you a good idea.
I would imagine the XR5 would be decent at 13m and fall away a bit after that as do most poles in this price range.
For rivers and drains you would be mostly looking at match kits for fishing lighter elastics 12 down.
Sorry I can't be more specific in advice but I have never used one of these poles although I have a wide experience of pole fishing.
In the end poles are always a trade off between price, strength and stiffness.
Best of luck looking.

Truly

Site Supporter
Thank you @Blanks, that's helpful. I have never had a go with a pole, so very much a 'tyre-kicker' at present. Once I realised that 10 meters in 32 feet in English, I started to wonder whether I could actually manage anything longer (joys of arthritis).

Blanks

Site Supporter
Why not buy a cheaper margin pole at maybe 9m and see if you like pole fishing, plenty available without spending too much.
Have a look at neil of the nene's pole fishing guide on here, he has covered everything you need to know to get started.

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
I had a waggle with the ZR5 ,it's very light can more or less hold it one handed at 16metre. According to the catalogue at the time the stated weight was lighter than I think is was the Air or Arity.
There was something about it though that didn't give me confidence if I hit into something good, To me the sections seemed to have to much give in them,
There were a few reports of the number 4 going bang when playing a fish,
They are made abroad somewhere, the sections are not compatible with UK made Daiwa.Spares may be difficult to get .
This is my opinion of the pole, I know a few who had one and had no problems with it.If the price is right and suits your needs go for it. I would say about £450 would be fair price.
In the end I bought the G50.

bris

Site Supporter
I had one and the number 4 went bang on second session with it on a carp, with hardly any pressure being applied. Have seen numerous people complain about the number 4s.
It is a very light pole and will be ok for canal fishing but wouldn’t want to be using it week in week out on commercials.
I’d say £400/450 though not sure what the spares availability is like but it does interchange with the XR series.

carphauler

Barbel Tickler
If you struggle with arthritis and are also new to pole fishing, I would buy something like a preston response margin pole and a couple of spare kits new, it would be in the same price range.

matti

Site Supporter
I had a zr5, for the money it was a good pole, up to 13m it was great, over that 14.5m/16m, I wouldn't want to be fishing with it for any length of time, also the no.5s were very prone to snapping for no reason, I went through 2 on mine, May have been a bad batch, had no problems once I'd replaced them