Daiwa Whisker 3012 (part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jessebobs

Steve!
I spent an hour in the tackle shop today to sort out a mid-priced front drag reel that was capable of withstanding the rigours of pellet wag fishing in the summer along with fishing the lead for carp through the winter.
The main contenders were:
Daiwa Whisker 3012 @ 59.99
Daiwa Exceller 3000 @ 69.99
Shimano Exage 4000FB @ 59.99
and also running was the Preston PXR 4000 @ 69.99
To cut a long story short, I chose the Whisker. I was a bit disappointed with the Shimano. Although the reel turned super smoothly, there was a bit of play in the handle when the backwind was locked and the bail arm looked flimsy. The Preston ticked all the boxes but I would like to see them gain a following before looking seriously at one. The Exceller was good but I preferred the wider spool of the Whisker and also the drag on the Whisker is ultra smooth. The only let down was the lack of a double handle to give it a bit more balance when winding in but I may buy a spare double handle from the TDR which will fit.
Can't wait to use it now so look out for "part 2"[:D]

Last edited:

Demon Nick

bag'em/tubertini
i have 3 mate think they are great and do all the things the tdr does and ya get two whiskers for the price of one tdr [:T][:T]

nick

Last edited by a moderator:

n/a14

deleted
You won't be disappointed with your choice jb, I recently purchased a Team Diawa TD-R match reel, absolutely superb bit of kit![:T]

Dave

greentura

Greenie
daiwa's come on leaps and bounds in the last few years. recently got 4 procasters 2500 and 4000 sizes, 2 of each, same features as wisker but anti reverse switch is underneath like my old shimano gtm's, liked the wisker but that was my only resson for not getting them. just a shame the double handle wont fit them like it does the wisker[:T]

fats

been looking at buying either the 2508 whisker or 3012. Am i right in thinking that its just to spool depth thats the main difference and that the actual spool diameter is the same ?.
[?]

quivertip

phil
no fats, they are different, i have the 2508 and the 3012 they do not interchange very well, the diameter is different, not a lot but there is a difference..

Last edited:

fats

Would you recomend them ?. And do you favour one size over the other ?. I am looking to use then for a mixture of commercial fishing from Pellet wagg to med sized method fishing to 50m ?

quivertip

phil
yes definately.. i use the 2508 for pellet wag fishing and the 3012 for heavier feeder or barbel with 10 or 12lb line... size and weight wise not much difference between them.. the 3012 has a bigger line capacity but the 2508 will cope with shorter range feeder work with no problems.. nice front drag as well..

Demon Nick

bag'em/tubertini
ive got both mate the 3012 is the best size

Jessebobs

Steve!
Take a look at both together in a shop fats. I would normally have gone for the smaller one but after trying both I preferred the 3012

fats

Thanks for the heads up. No local shops stock them hence my trouble. To be honest i might be greedy and get one of each to cover all events. Any reason why anyone would not say this was a good idea [?]

quivertip

phil
great idea mate, i've got 2 x 2508's and 1 x 3012 covers most situations that way.
i have 1 x 2508 spooled up with 4 & 5lb line, the other is spooled up with 6lb and 8lb and the 3012 is spooled up with 10 and 12lb line..
i had a 16lb common today using a shaky mach 3 11ft float rod and a daiwa 2508 reel, 5lb line and 4lb hooklength.. tamed it within a few minutes, the drag on the reel performed perfectly, i'd of been in trouble if it hadn't.. i have every confidence in these reels now...

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
[:)] Glad you're pleased with yours Phil, I told you they were good [;)].

quivertip

phil
i know pete, so good i bought another 2.. also the shakey rod as well you told me about, i had the preston mini float and wasn't entirely happy with it but on your recommendation flogged it and bought the shakey, more crisp and responsive imo, it handled that 16lber superbly.. cheers pete...

fats

Thats amazing, i am actually waiting for a Mach 3 Pellet wagg and mach 3 feeder rod to go with them. So hearing that the combination is a perfect match is very comforting.[:D]

Status
Not open for further replies.