Daiwa TDR distance 25 QD VS Daiwa Cast'izm 25 qda

Ernest

Good morning, I want to discuss about these two reels , because I am going to buy one of them for my Medium heavy 100 g. feeder rod. I read a lot of information that cast'izm reel is more powerful and stronger comparing with TDR distance. I know the difference between these two reels - TDR has less weight, 2 shallows spools and hip line clip , but the most important thing that TDR mechanical part is more poor. There is a lot of mechanical parts inside the reel that is different comparing it with casti'zm. More plastic parts..
At the moment the TDR distance price is lover despite that TDR has 2 spools.. Maybe there is someone who are using both of the reel and can to deny this facts ? I love daiwa reel and want to get the stronger one for feeders up to 100g..

rd115

Barbus Minimus
Site Supporter
I have both.

Both reels are identical construction except for the Cast'izm being magsealed, different handle designs and obvs reel colour.

Cast'izm spool is deeper and it swallows a lot of line, but the TDR Distance spools also fit the Cast'izm, so if you really want a Cast'izm with a shallow spool you can (y)

My Cast'izm i bought used from ebay, abused by a carper, but was still showroom smooth. After cleaning up looks almost new except for a few scuffs on the soft touch handle. Managed to get it for £180 used, bargain.

Ernest

I have both.

Both reels are identical construction except for the Cast'izm being magsealed, different handle designs and obvs reel colour.

Cast'izm spool is deeper and it swallows a lot of line, but the TDR Distance spools also fit the Cast'izm, so if you really want a Cast'izm with a shallow spool you can (y)
Thank you very much for your answer. Which one you recommend it for feeder fishing up to 100g ? The rod will be Browning sphere 13ft 100g. So in your opinion the both reel has the same power ? Both reels run smooth ? Which one you like more ?

rd115

Barbus Minimus
Site Supporter
Yeah same power, both smooth. Could use either for what you're looking for.

Personally i prefer the Cast'izm because it looks a bit understated, less showy. The TDR Distance looks like i'm showing off :D

You could catch huge fish on both these reels no problem, i was even thinking about changing over from Ultegra 5500 CI4's to a couple of Cast'izms for my pike fishing.

Ernest

Thank you for your help, I will choose TDR distance, because for the same price I will get the extra spool :) I thought that because of magseal castizm run smoother

Mr B

If you want to save more money the new castizm feeder reel is the exact same dimensions & spool as the tdr distance, less bearings but still a very nice reel.

Mr B

Thank you for your help, I will choose TDR distance, because for the same price I will get the extra spool :) I thought that because of magseal castizm run smoother

Pretty sure you only get 1 spool with the TDR distance mate

edit - it is 2 with the tdr and 1 with the castizm feeder

Ernest

Thank for your reply, I am choosing between TDR distance and Daiwa Cast'Izm 25 QDA , is it true that castizm has a better mechanism then tdr?

rd115

Barbus Minimus
Site Supporter
Thank for your reply, I am choosing between TDR distance and Daiwa Cast'Izm 25 QDA , is it true that castizm has a better mechanism then tdr?

Only thing better is the Cast'izm is magsealed. Means it should stay smoother for longer, but costs more to have a magsealed reel serviced.

TDR distance will stay just as smooth if you don't dunk it in the lake or muddy puddles.

Martin25664

Site Supporter
Ernest, you have said that you will be using it with a medium heavy feeder rod so I would opt for the cheaper reel as you are not looking for extreme distance and the Castizm will do fine and save you some money.

rd115

Barbus Minimus
Site Supporter
Another option would be a 4012 size standard TDR, can cast 100yds easily with 5lb mono and a shock leader and won't be overgunned when fishing small waters.

About £100 cheaper than both Castizm QDA and TDR Distance.

Tbh I only have the Castizm and TDR Distance for places like Barston and Boddington.

marcusp

I have both and much prefer the tdr distance for long range feeder.
the shallow spools are a lot more suited for feeder fishing. They will stll hold 200m 0lus of 6-8lb lineand you get two as opposed to one with a castism.The cost of a castism spare spool is over £50.
The line clip on the new rdt is also superior and doesnt damage the line if hit hard.

I find both reels very smooth but the rdr distance just feels a lighter and better balanced on the rod.

Ernest

Both reels I think are very good, but I get information that castizm has more durable mechanism inside the reel , betters mechanical parts .