Ended Daiwa stick float rod wanted

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lucky Strike

Site Supporter
Looking for one of the high end stick float rods that Daiwa made back in the day with a spliced tip. The connoisseur, tournament or amorphous range. I’d consider other brands and more current models if the rod was right. Thanks

Rick123

Site Supporter
LS. Not available sadly you will look in vain. Daiwa no longer do a LIGHT river float fishing rod, they are all rated too 8lb now. Try TrI-cast or Browning they are about the only companies still making such rods. Sam will chip in I expect. If you buy an older model, and you can still get them. It will be overpriced and heavy compared to those modern rods now available. I'll also say that those older rods were made because ultra fine hollow tips were not so good in the old days, but now you don't need a spliced tip, AS HOLLOW TIPS ARE BRILLIANT. I think its why so few are made by the big firms.JMO other may disagree?

Reuben

Site Supporter
There’s a couple on the ‘bay but collection only - North West & Midlands areas.

DFL

Site Supporter
Hi Lucky

I have a Daiwa amorpheus Whisker Superlight, the AWM13L 13ft. It has had a modern reel seat professionally fitted. Complete in original bag in excellent condition. I’m in no hurry to sell the rod, they are rare as hens teeth and it’s value increases with age, hence I’m asking £160 which will include p and p UK only.

11F61DA6-4580-4508-8815-4F7D51A3CA88.jpeg 03017B38-2E2F-41D9-BE1B-7AC392591DB1.jpeg 7848E3A3-9EE9-48C7-A791-E55C23883378.jpeg i

Lucky Strike

Site Supporter
LS. Not available sadly you will look in vain. Daiwa no longer do a LIGHT river float fishing rod, they are all rated too 8lb now. Try TrI-cast or Browning they are about the only companies still making such rods. Sam will chip in I expect. If you buy an older model, and you can still get them. It will be overpriced and heavy compared to those modern rods now available. I'll also say that those older rods were made because ultra fine hollow tips were not so good in the old days, but now you don't need a spliced tip, AS HOLLOW TIPS ARE BRILLIANT. I think its why so few are made by the big firms.JMO other may disagree?
Thanks. I was referring to old second hand ones. Interesting what you say about hollow tips, which modern rods have hollow tips?

Lucky Strike

Site Supporter
Hi Lucky

I have a Daiwa amorpheus Whisker Superlight, the AWM13L 13ft. It has had a modern reel seat professionally fitted. Complete in original bag in excellent condition. I’m in no hurry to sell the rod, they are rare as hens teeth and it’s value increases with age, hence I’m asking £160 which will include p and p UK only.

11F61DA6-4580-4508-8815-4F7D51A3CA88.jpeg 03017B38-2E2F-41D9-BE1B-7AC392591DB1.jpeg 7848E3A3-9EE9-48C7-A791-E55C23883378.jpeg i
Thanks but I already have this rod and love it. It’s the stick version I want 13S

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
Thanks. I was referring to old second hand ones. Interesting what you say about hollow tips, which modern rods have hollow tips?

Pretty much every modern rod has a hollow tip. The exceptions are the few spliced tip rods that are currently available new (Browning Sphere Spliced Tip River, Tri-Cast Allerton, Harrison GTi Spliced Tip). Whether anyone has genuinely replicated the action of a spliced tip rod with a hollow tip is another matter entirely. Some folks believe they have, some don't. The vast majority couldn't care less.

Reuben

Site Supporter
When I broke the top 3ins of my Acolyte plus I was surprised that it was solid & not hollow.

trotter2

The only rod I would consider today made with a spliced tip would be the browning sphere .The old rods are heavy compared to modern rods and nearly all are fitted with sliding band reel seats which I now never use.

YOUNGIAN

I have a 13ft Connoisseur X spliced tip special up for sale.Very good condition but I did manage to break an inch off the tip but have replaced the eye.Hardly noticeable.No bag.Asking £70.Not been used for quite a few years.Collection is from Selby,N.Yorks.I will not post.

Mike atkinson

Site Supporter
I have two rods that might interest you, I’ve got a 13ft Tommy Pickering connoisseur stick float rod, immaculate cond, with the original bag, also, a 13ft daiwa amorphous whisker stick float, immaculate cond, in the original bag aswell, pm me if your interested

Lucky Strike

Site Supporter
I have two rods that might interest you, I’ve got a 13ft Tommy Pickering connoisseur stick float rod, immaculate cond, with the original bag, also, a 13ft daiwa amorphous whisker stick float, immaculate cond, in the original bag aswell, pm me if your interested
Hi Mike, sent you a pm. Cheers

Rick123

Site Supporter
The only rod I would consider today made with a spliced tip would be the browning sphere .The old rods are heavy compared to modern rods and nearly all are fitted with sliding band reel seats which I now never use.

Buddy. THAT'S THE BIG THING PEOPLE DON'T THINK ABOUT, WEIGHT. The rings are old the whipping old and the rods heavy. Fine if you have one you brought as a bargain, or had from new thats different. But paying through the nose for an old spliced tip rod makes no sense at all to me. There are so many good rods about now under £200 with all the advantages of those old rods but with modern fittings. Plus many have a short tip, broken at some time. JMO

trotter2

Buddy. THAT'S THE BIG THING PEOPLE DON'T THINK ABOUT, WEIGHT. The rings are old the whipping old and the rods heavy. Fine if you have one you brought as a bargain, or had from new thats different. But paying through the nose for an old spliced tip rod makes no sense at all to me. There are so many good rods about now under £200 with all the advantages of those old rods but with modern fittings. Plus many have a short tip, broken at some time. JMO
I agree Rick makes no sense,some people are paying crazy prices on ebay, think some will be a little disappointed when they receive them imo.

BoldBear

I have an older Diawa 13ft AMW13L Amorphous Whisker Light Float rod (see pic) which weighs just 5.5oz and has a brilliant action and balance, and as I sometimes use a centrepin with It; I actually sometimes prefer having a sliding reel Seat, as I can change the position of the reel when I need to..

Plus although I didn’t use a micrometer the rod blank looks just as slim as my 13ft Drennan Acolyte Ultra; apart from a slight difference nearer the tip.
So all of the drivel you hear about older rods always being wider and heavier is not always true there are certain models that are comparable (if not even better) than more modern rods if you know what to look for.

light-Float-Tackle.gif

Keith

Last edited:

trotter2

I have an older Diawa 13ft AMW13L Amorphous Whisker Light Float rod (see pic) which weighs just 5.5oz and has a brilliant action and balance, and as I sometimes use a centrepin with It; I actually sometimes prefer having a sliding reel Seat, as I can change the position of the reel when I need to..

Plus although I didn’t use a micrometer the rod blank looks just as slim as my 13ft Drennan Acolyte Ultra; apart from a slight difference nearer the tip.
So all of the drivel you hear about older rods always being heavy is not always true there are certain models that are comparable (if not even better) than more modern rods if you know what to look for.

light-Float-Tackle.gif

Keith
The drennan ultra 13ft weights 4.75oz
But I agree that's one very light rod mate.

breadflake

Site Supporter
I have the same Diawa 13ft AmW13L Amorphous Whisker Light Float rod and have used and abused it with confidence, rivers and commercials
stick and waggler 12 hook n breadflake 18/20/22 magg ect it is a joy to fish with, not for dragging carp from near side reeds or big fish venues though it has tamed a few bending to the cork

Status
Not open for further replies.