Daiwa Purple Hydro or Equivalent Elastic?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpeedyJD

Hi everyone.
I personally really like the Daiwa Black Hydro (12-16) for the majority of my fishing and have landed fish from 6oz to 8-10lb on it, however after fishing my last match I was fishing close to some Bull rushes or Reeds and was finding that most of the fish even the small 1lb carp when hooked headed straight into them. The black hydro was fine for landing them once I got them away.
Would the purple hydro be any better for catching close to Reeds etc. What I don't want to do is bump off the smaller fish once I get them away into open water. i.e what I want is a soft elastic with minimal stretch. I've tried a doubled 8 elastic and personally hate it as it is too stretchy. Hollo also sounds too stretchy aswell.
If not purple hydro what would you recommend? Thanks.

fordy1

try orange vespe,its between purple n red hydro,but set soft comes out with small carp ok.

SpeedyJD

I usually elastic my power kits through the top 2 (or sections 2 and 3) what happens if I elastic just the number 2 section? Won't the elastic just bottom out sooner?
Thanks.
Originally posted by PoDd

Just use a shorter length of elastic.

PoDd

You asked originally for a soft elastic with minimal stretch. You ruled out double 8 and hollo. I personally found D8 to power up quick enuff, but friends prefer D10 for what you are describing. Purple will just be heavier, so if the fish arnt too big u may bump them and a long length is still stretchy and the added resistence may make things worse. Purple is just a coated thick black.

The only other option is to use shorter elastic, so you have the same initial give that you are used to, but doesn't stretch as far. It will bottom out quicker, if the fish are big/powerful enough, but if didn't aren't you just back where you are at the minute? This will give you the control you are asking for and with initial give. It's actually better to use an even lighter elastic, so the initial lift doesnt spook them and they dont bolt, then ship back at speed and there wont be enough stretch for them to reach the reeds.

Just use a half length of black/grey with dacron to bring it to the bung. You will also be able to do 2 kits for the price of one. Hydro costs.

I'm also not suggesting you do this for fishing in open water.

Last edited:

young un

I use a 12 latex with a pulla bung for all margin fishing as its got enough power to pull them away from any snags but is soft enough for all sizes of carp.

pole addict

The trouble is , the stronger the elastic the more chance of hook pulls with smaller hooks.

As suggested you can use a shorter length of elastic, but it doesn't have to be hollow, 1m of solid 16 might do the trick as solids stretch less than hollows.

pedro1098

i fished a peg monday at 14.5m right next to the rushes,i was warned about the same problem,we use purple hydro to get them away,i have just set up me other kit with a preston yellow,i like the preston hollows & hope its up to the job with other margin pegs,i lost 1 fish to a pull on the purple however i didnt get snagged so its a result

chrisritch

Merchant Blanker
Preston 19H Hollo. managed to pull enough drayton and clattercote carp from the boards using that and a pull bung. landed them to 22lb no probs

pauln

Dreadexit
Site Supporter
Originally posted by PoDd

<Snip>

Just use a half length of black/grey with dacron to bring it to the bung. You will also be able to do 2 kits for the price of one. Hydro costs.

I'm also not suggesting you do this for fishing in open water.

Thats what I do plus I pass the dacron thro' a pulla bung.

Status
Not open for further replies.