Daiwa Prorex A reel 2000 size

Sad Teacher

So a week or so ago I posted a thread about what spinning reel, a lot of good answers came back mostly about Shimano reels and TBH I quite liked the idea of a Stradic or at least an Ultegra to fit on my 6ft spinning rod. But one answer came back get a Prorex reel so I found one in a sale and bought it the spec seemed better than the more affordable reels. This does not seem to a current reel but if you look you can find them. This is not the LT model.

So lets get something out of the way straight away the HANDLE its a screw on one.... First time ever for me, bit fiddly to put on but once its screwed in its great!

PXL_20201227_145254640.jpg

In the box usual washers etc but no spare spool. My first thoughts: well built reel, aluminium body bit heavy 240g compared to 200 for LT model. Spooled up with some J braid 4 strand and you can see the line lay not great I was thinking. I set the drag like I usually do, the wife pretends to be a fish and I can say it was silky smooth and was linear in its breaking power the carbon discs are doing a good job.

Today I took it for a test cast and this improved the line lay after a few casts but I wished I spooled it with J8 braid like my other reels as I think this would show line lay at its best.

PXL_20201227_145958570.PORTRAIT.jpg
PXL_20201227_145136595.jpg

The reel fits my Prorex rod well no surprise there but i tried it across a range of rods and it even fits my notoriously finicky Greys rod. My fears about balancing the rod and weight were unfounded. The turning action was great with little effort to start rotation and silky smooth low effort to keep turning. I also like the neoprene handle. On the down side it is not mag sealed but time will tell how much difference this makes.

I really like this reel It feels and looks like it will take some abuse and I'm sure purple will grow on you - bit of colour not to bling - tastic.

Silver fan 82

So a week or so ago I posted a thread about what spinning reel, a lot of good answers came back mostly about Shimano reels and TBH I quite liked the idea of a Stradic or at least an Ultegra to fit on my 6ft spinning rod. But one answer came back get a Prorex reel so I found one in a sale and bought it the spec seemed better than the more affordable reels. This does not seem to a current reel but if you look you can find them. This is not the LT model.

So lets get something out of the way straight away the HANDLE its a screw on one.... First time ever for me, bit fiddly to put on but once its screwed in its great!

PXL_20201227_145254640.jpg

In the box usual washers etc but no spare spool. My first thoughts: well built reel, aluminium body bit heavy 240g compared to 200 for LT model. Spooled up with some J braid 4 strand and you can see the line lay not great I was thinking. I set the drag like I usually do, the wife pretends to be a fish and I can say it was silky smooth and was linear in its breaking power the carbon discs are doing a good job.

Today I took it for a test cast and this improved the line lay after a few casts but I wished I spooled it with J8 braid like my other reels as I think this would show line lay at its best.

PXL_20201227_145958570.PORTRAIT.jpg
PXL_20201227_145136595.jpg

The reel fits my Prorex rod well no surprise there but i tried it across a range of rods and it even fits my notoriously finicky Greys rod. My fears about balancing the rod and weight were unfounded. The turning action was great with little effort to start rotation and silky smooth low effort to keep turning. I also like the neoprene handle. On the down side it is not mag sealed but time will tell how much difference this makes.

I really like this reel It feels and looks like it will take some abuse and I'm sure purple will grow on you - bit of colour not to bling - tastic.
Looks great IMO. Nice looking set up 👍

rd115

плак-плак
Site Supporter
240g is pretty good when you consider the body is metal rather than cheap plastic and the reel is housing 8 proper bearings :D
I personally like he screw in handle, it stops dead when sufficiently tight, don't get that feeling of overtightening like you can with similar reels (i'm looking at you, Cadence)

As long as you're not constantly dunking your reel in muddy water i don't think you'll notice the lack of Magseal.

Sad Teacher

HI Rd115.

great advice to buy one
I also like screw in handle at first it was odd but actually works well. Want to buy another but actually a bit heavier the only ones around seem to be various versions of the LT range. Do you think much difference?

rd115

плак-плак
Site Supporter
HI Rd115.

great advice to buy one
I also like screw in handle at first it was odd but actually works well. Want to buy another but actually a bit heavier the only ones around seem to be various versions of the LT range. Do you think much difference?

The 18 V LT is actually decent for an LT reel feels solid and well made, but LT reels are small, my 3000 has a spool diameter of 47mm so you might need to go up to 4000.

OldTaff

Site Supporter
That’s a gorgeous looking reel, love the purple colour, nice and compact too