Daiwa ninja match... any good???

Jonny w

Hi all this is my first post on here and I’m just looking for a little advice please, my 11 year old son wants his own float rod and reel instead of using one of my spares, he’s Had a good look and he’s wanting the daiwa ninja match rod (not sure on which length) with the matching ninja nj3000a reel, I can get the pair brand new for about £100 quid or so, so very reasonable In my opinion, was just wondering if anyone on here owns the rod or the reel and what’s there experience been like with them, what Little I’ve heard about the ninja series so far has been positive but I’d like to hear from people that’s actually used them on the bank, many thanks

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I got the 10ft version rod with the 2500 version reel for about £60 in the January sales to use on my little boat but my only experience of it so far was on a commercial although I will test it on the boat when the rivers open. Can't complain about the reel at all other than I'd prefer a rear drag and whilst the rod is a little more powerful than a traditional float rod it does have not that far off a proper float rod action. I should think the 11ft version probably has a slightly better action again from a brief waggle I had of it. The reel is genuinely proper and for the rod for a kid to start out with it would be a great match as it won't struggle with bigger fish and it has a workable amount of sensitivity and action for smaller fish.

PP123

The reels are excellent and very good value for money. I bought a couple and I’ve ended up with 5 in the 3012a size. I use them for everything; waggler, feeder, naturals, commercials, lure fishing for bass, mulleting.

The only issue I’ve encountered is a bit of corrosion from saltwater wading, but this is my fault as I hadn’t rinsed it properly. I’ve stripped and oiled it and it’s fine now.

Brian Lody

Hi all this is my first post on here and I’m just looking for a little advice please, my 11 year old son wants his own float rod and reel instead of using one of my spares, he’s Had a good look and he’s wanting the daiwa ninja match rod (not sure on which length) with the matching ninja nj3000a reel, I can get the pair brand new for about £100 quid or so, so very reasonable In my opinion, was just wondering if anyone on here owns the rod or the reel and what’s there experience been like with them, what Little I’ve heard about the ninja series so far has been positive but I’d like to hear from people that’s actually used them on the bank, many thanks
I have the 11 ft Ninja which i use on commercials and the 13 ft 3 piece used mainly on rivers.
I like them, and don't feel the need to replace them with anything else.

They look, feel and perform like much more expensive rods.
They work equally well with 0.12 and a 2BB waggler as they do with 0.20 and a 4gr chair leg.

As to the reels, the old Ninja is the one to get.
The 3012a, it will be hard to find. The LT in my opinion is not as good.

Last edited:

aseadabite

I have a 3012 size Ninja match. Brilliant little reel for the cash. I also have 3012 TDR's but in practical use there's not much difference. I don't like the LT versions. They seemed fragile to me. Typical isn't it they make a good reel like that and then decide to stop selling it.

fishcatcher4

Looks like Daiwa have slipped up with the LT reels.

With the weight of them being as light as they are i would have thought they would have flown off the shelves but apparently not.

Seen a few reviews on you tube a few months ago and they were mixed to say the least.

nejohn

Site Supporter
Looks like Daiwa have slipped up with the LT reels.

With the weight of them being as light as they are i would have thought they would have flown off the shelves but apparently not.

Seen a few reviews on you tube a few months ago and they were mixed to say the least.
I know where you are coming from I have a black widow and it is not a bad freespool reel for reasonable cash, when I wanted a smaller freespool I thought I would just get a smaller version of the black widow, I could only find the new LT version and it just didn't feel as good as the old one.... So still looking for a decent 30 size freespool reel

Jonny w

Thanks for all the great advice guys, ended of buying x2 daiwa ninja match 11ft and x2 ninja 3012 reels one in red and black and one in gold and black, for my 11 and 9 year old sons, I’m going to load them up with 6lb hyper sensor and try and get them out next Sunday, had a quick look myself and I must say they seem very good for the money, many thanks again for all the help.

edit... the reels I got are just the standard versions and not the LT, looks like I made the right choice for once.

Jonny w

I went for hyper sensor as well as was discounted at the time although 5lb in my case.
Yeah it was on sale today at fishing republic £9.99 For 2900 meters, I thought it was a bargain, I was going to go for the 6llb st tournament but the gent said it wasn’t much better and it was almost twice the price, I’m not sure I’ve never used the st tournament but I’ve heard good things from people that have.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Blimey that is a good deal, think I paid about £3 for 300m which is cheap compared to most lines but sounds like you stole it lol

Jonny w

Blimey that is a good deal, think I paid about £3 for 300m which is cheap compared to most lines but sounds like you stole it lol
Yeah lol, it was in the Plastic bargain bin thing, It had the outer plastic wrapper removed And about 2 feet of the line was a little loose, that why it was in there Apparently, didn’t bother me at all, it was getting opened as soon as I got home anyway.

Chrissill

Cant recommend the Ninjas highly enough. Ive got the 3012da and 4012 reels, and the 10 and 11' match rods. Really solid kit, should last you years.

Jonny w

Had a good look at the boys new stuff this morning and it seems the shop has gave me x2 ninja 3000a reels instead of the 3012 that I originally asked for, is the only difference Between the two the fact the 3000a has a deeper spool?, that’s the only difference I can see, can’t see the point in exchanging them if that’s the only difference, or is there other differences I’m unaware of, many thanks

Brian Lody

Had a good look at the boys new stuff this morning and it seems the shop has gave me x2 ninja 3000a reels instead of the 3012 that I originally asked for, is the only difference Between the two the fact the 3000a has a deeper spool?, that’s the only difference I can see, can’t see the point in exchanging them if that’s the only difference, or is there other differences I’m unaware of, many thanks
The line clip is a bit different.
On the 3012 the line clip is round, on the 3000 it is the shape of a shield.
At least it used to be, maybe the clip got updated on all the Ninjas.

Jonny w

The line clip is a bit different.
On the 3012 the line clip is round, on the 3000 it is the shape of a shield.
At least it used to be, maybe the clip got updated on all the Ninjas.
Yeah the line clips are the shape of a shield on these two, apart from that and the spool depth, are they know other differences That u know of?

Brian Lody

Yeah the line clips are the shape of a shield on these two, apart from that and the spool depth, are they know other differences That u know of?
I think that is about it.
Got a feeling the 3000 could be gold as well as red, the 3012 is always red.