Daiwa map or preston seatbox

F1paulb

I'm upgrading my old preston seatbox in the summer and I've been looking at the preston absolute 36 range. Ive got all preston attachments and like the idea of getting rid of all the inserts and fitting them straight onto the 36mm posts. I must admit though that they do look a little pricey for what you get, 2 drawers and a winder tray and other trays are 60 ish quid, which made me look towards the map z30 again 2 drawers and a winder tray with an expensive add on system. On the other hand I've also looked at the daiwa tournament 500 which you can now pick up for just over 400 quid and comes with an abundance of trays and drawers but only 25mm legs and reviews that are not very complementary about the one touch clips. I've sat on all 3 in the shop and they all feel of a similar build quality maybe the preston is a little more solid. Does anyone use the daiwa box and recommend it cos I wouldn't mind saving a couple of hundred quid or am I best investing a little extra ? I have a budget of 650 max

PlasticJock

I have the Daiwa TNX 250 its essentially the same as the 500 except it has less drawers and doesn't come with a wheel kit, its a solid box steady as a rock my only gripe is the weight but from what I see most of the boxes seem to weigh a lot these days. The one touch clips are fine I cant understand the problem unless you are really throwing it around or have it banging around in the back of a van.

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Paul just be aware that your Preston fittings must be the newer offbox36 ones to fit an Absolute36 as the older offbox accessories will only fit 30mm legs with the inserts removed.[;)]

davepellet

I've been having a look at seatboxes lately, I do like the look of the MAP Z frame, but I prefer the Matrix S36 range

that would probably be my choice...

F1paulb

Originally posted by PlasticJock

I have the Daiwa TNX 250 its essentially the same as the 500 except it has less drawers and doesn't come with a wheel kit, its a solid box steady as a rock my only gripe is the weight but from what I see most of the boxes seem to weigh a lot these days. The one touch clips are fine I cant understand the problem unless you are really throwing it around or have it banging around in the back of a van.
Thanks . I thought that about the clips myself ! If your not careful with any box clips come undone. As regards to the weight issue I really don't mind because I use a cart anyway. I looked at the 250 but I would need the extra drawer that comes with the 500 because of the ridiculous amount of terminal tackle I take with me. [:D]

F1paulb

Originally posted by Peter

Paul just be aware that your Preston fittings must be the newer offbox36 ones to fit an Absolute36 as the older offbox accessories will only fit 30mm legs with the inserts removed.[;)]
Thanks Peter [:T] I never even considered that,of course they are and I've just thought my mega side tray is the 30mm size. That would have been another 50 to 100 for a new tray . Would fit the map box though.

sagalout

I dunno nothing about seat boxes but I just want to take this opportunity to be the first to say get an octbox [:D]

JohnLondon

Site Supporter
The Matrix S36 is a superb box for the money. You can pick them up for 300 when the likes of Angling Direct are having one of their 10% off sales as they are this weekend

Total

Site Supporter
Following on from Peter's advice above:...A club mate has just upgraded from a Boss box to Preston Absolute 36 in black. It is a beautiful box.[:T][:)]

I had a sit down on it, really comfortable etc.

Please be aware, depending on your requirements for attachments etc, my mate spent an extra 300 pound on extra 40mm draw unit, partitioning, new side table, roost, keep net arms. So please budget accordingly.[:T]

F1paulb

Originally posted by sagalout

I dunno nothing about seat boxes but I just want to take this opportunity to be the first to say get an octbox [:D]
Really don't like the look of em ! They probably are great boxes but I think they're ugly as hell

Bungee

Originally posted by F1paulb

Originally posted by sagalout

Really don't like the look of em ! They probably are great boxes but I think they're ugly as hell

Brace yourself...

Maverick

I bought the Preston Absolute Black Edition with the 30mm legs during the new years sales. I chose it over the Absolute 36 for the very reasons Peter has mentioned.
Replacing all side trays, feeder arms, butt rests etc etc. to the onbox36 attachments can add a considerable cost to the initial purchase.

I paid 503.99 for the box, Got 21 back for the shuttle adapter that I had no use for, 150 cash for my old Preston 5 Draw onbox which I only paid 41 for off ebay so my out lay was a mere 332.99.

They are as solid as a rock. Why buy a 36mm version?

F1paulb

I was going to get the 36mm for the stabiliy and insert free attachments. The more I think about it the more I'm drawn to the daiwa 500 .it's 200 quid cheaper , still as solid as the other top boxes and loads of storage options.

Simon R

Site Supporter
MAP H30 is worth looking at - I got one in the Boxing Day sales
30mm legs, 2 side opening drawers and a large base unit.

Don't be swayed by all the hype over 36mm legs being more stable - it really makes very little difference - especially if you spend the majority of your fishing on a nice flat commercial platform.
My previous box was the original Preston Onbox with the square legs and I've had that setup over rock strewn Irish loughs, in the middle of the Swale and on 1:2 slopes - perfectly stable everywhere.

Map H30 is currently 325 in BobCo too - and if you can hang on until the Easter sale it'll be even cheaper[:T]

http://www.bobcotackle.co.uk/shop/MAP-H30-Competition-Seatbox

Simon

Last edited:

F1paulb

Originally posted by Simon R

Don't be swayed by all the hype over 36mm legs being more stable - it really makes very little difference - especially if you spend the majority of your fishing on a nice flat commercial platform.
My previous box was the original Preston Onbox with the square legs and I've had that setup over rock strewn Irish loughs, in the middle of the Swale and on 1:2 slopes - perfectly stable everywhere.

Map H30 is currently 325 in BobCo too - and if you can hang on until the Easter sale it'll be even cheaper[:T]

Simon
Ive looked at the h30 but I don't need the deep base unit, most of my gear is in accessory bags and reels are permenantly attached to my rods.
I have pulled my head out of the sand after reading a couple of earlier post about the octbox. I've been on the website and the basic box is 350 and isn't in the poopy aluminium finish but a white one and with better catches than the metal ones.
I stand corrected. I've got a couple of months before I buy one so back the the research

spark

Originally posted by Simon R

Simon

Where do you put your pole winders because apparently the draws don't take them. Did you purchase and fit trays ?

F1paulb

Well thanks for all the advice guys. After trying out 5 or 6 boxes I settled on the preston absolute black which has just arrived in the post. It just felt solid and more comfortable out of the ones I tried. Got a good deal too with 20 percent off ! Happy days
To be honest I really wanted the Rive but her indoors would have murdered me ,still a happy chap though

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Nice one Paul and remember as long as you're happy with it that's all that matters.[:T]
Out of curiosity did you go for 30mm or 36mm leg version?