Daiwa Harrier rod ID

TrickyD

Site Supporter
Does anyone know what rod a Daiwa Harrier Match WKM 13 STDX is ? Can't find any details. I thought maybe spliced tip , but picture unclear, looks like a feeder/tip rod.

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
WKM-13S would certainly suggest Whisker Kevlar Match 13' Stick Float (Special). However, there have been two different Daiwa rod ranges that used the WKM prefix. One was the earlier Whisker Kevlar Match. The other the slightly later Harrier Whisker Kevlar Match. As ever Daiwa's naming and numbering conventions are a bit of a nightmare to navigate, especially when people use partial names and numbers, or add in extraneous bits to either.

Simon R

Site Supporter
There's a new model in the 1989 catalogue which is the WKM13DXST

The accompanying text says:

The Harrier DX match rod made its debut in 1987.
The success of this top quality 16 strand Whisker Kevlar model has prompted an additional rod for this series.
The 13DXST is a spliced-tip model designed specifically for the stick float enthusiast.
This lightweight rod features our ultra modern patented Armlock handle design which ensures the butt fits snugly beneath the forearm when casting and playing fish. Spigot joints and well rung with SIC guides makes this rod a joy to use.

13', 3piece, weighing 6oz and, although not mentioned, appears to have a Duplon handle - cost a not inconsiderable £155 thirty years ago.
There was a whole new range of Harrier rods that year - top of the range was the Harrier Tournament Match (£195), the DX as already mentioned, the Harrier Superlite Series (£130-£140) and the Harrier Carbo Whisker Series (£105-£115).

Everybody I knew in the late 80s had either the Cavalier or Jaguar series of rods - slightly more wallet friendly at fifty quid (y)

Simon

TrickyD

Site Supporter
It's on eBay, but incorrectly listed. May have a punt as I only have 1 spliced tip rod at the moment and if the price is right, who knows. The top section just looked a bit iffy to me.

david white

Site Supporter
I’d put money on
Non original bag
Damaged original tip section with a cheap quivertip cobbled on to it
Unless you’ve a spare top section can’t see the point tbh

Simon R

Site Supporter
It's not the same rod as the 1989 catalogue - that had a Duplon handle
And as David said above it seems to have grown a quivertip.

Simon

nejohn

Site Supporter
I agree with the above, might be worth a punt if you can find a carbon tip to replace the one that has been fitted but finding one to match the blank action might be like finding rocking horse poo......if it had been a tri-cast it would probably be doable as tricast could probably supply something that matched the original

TrickyD

Site Supporter
I realised the bag was wrong, it was just the code I couldn't find and the tip seemed to be a quiver tip, though saying that, my AWM 13 H has a white tip as it has faded after being continuously dipped in the water to sink the line. At a low enough price it may be worth a gamble, but the seller is aware the listing is wrong, so winning it at that price, they may cancel the sale.

TrickyD

Site Supporter
.if it had been a tri-cast it would probably be doable as tricast could probably supply something that matched the original
I have put a low commission bid at a nearby auction house on a 15ft finesse with about 2" missing from the tip, so hopefully if I get that I can just put a new tip eye on, or get a new top section . This rod seems nice (apart from tip) , possibly a newer version with fuji reel seat and near mint cork handle.

nejohn

Site Supporter
I have put a low commission bid at a nearby auction house on a 15ft finesse with about 2" missing from the tip, so hopefully if I get that I can just put a new tip eye on, or get a new top section . This rod seems nice (apart from tip) , possibly a newer version with fuji reel seat and near mint cork handle.
If you win the Tri-cast it may be worth contacting Steve Harrison at Tri-cast and they maybe able to repair the tip section with a new spliced tip, he is very helpful and if anything can be done he will do his best to make it happen