Daiwa Castizm

JohnLondon

Site Supporter
I use the 13ft 6” on the Thames. It’s a great rod for fishing big rivers, powerful but with a nice fish playing action. Highly recommended

Rickb

Cheers John,
I was looking at the Cadence 13ft #3 but hearing some poor reports on it.
Looking for the Severn below Bewdley where the Severn starts to steady up a bit.

Mike atkinson

Site Supporter
I’ve had both on trial,, the handle is to short on the cadence for my liking, and the first butt ring was to close to the reel,, the daiwa isn’t a bad rod,, but the tips are suspect

Rickb

Cheers Mike, i have just picked up a castizm off a mate to try this Sunday on the Severn ( think we may have spoken via text), i see what you mean about the tips, tho this ones only got the 3oz tip maybe the others have broken already.
Im really struggling to find a rod that will do the job im after, its all carp carp carp now. Thats why i originally thought of the cadence, but after yours and other reports dont think il bother

Rickb

Im after a rod, as said to fish the Severn below Bewdley ( it steadies up) depths from 8ft to 20ft with all sorts to be caught from roach, bream, barbel, chub etc.. i have just sold a couple of Fox barbel twin tip type rods at 1.5 tc as i found bite indication all wrong for anything other than barbel and big Chub they also lacked the punch on the cast for anything over say 30grm feeders loaded especially open ended gbait feeders (not to bad with black caps up to 40grm). So i suppose im after more an old school rod as in action and indication that will also handle the odd barbel when fishing 4lb hooklengths, having another play with the castizm it may be a bit too much of a tool, im wondering now if the cadence may be the rod that will do the job as i doubt il need to cast further than 50/ 60 yards max

Simon R

Site Supporter
Perfect tool for that situation is unfortunately no longer made
Drennan 13' IM8 Superfeeder - I use mine on the Tees (over 20' deep in places) - has enough poke to cast half to-two-thirds of the way across the river but remains soft enough so you're not ripping the hooks out of skimmers all the time.
Beefy enough to handle chub too - used to use mine to fish big baits on the Swale and Ure.

And the good thing about 'em is if you decide you don't like it you'll be able to sell it for what you bought it for (y)

Simon

JohnLondon

Site Supporter
I’ve been using the Castizm for over a year & have not broken a tip. I’ve got the Cadence 13ft #3 as well. It’s not a bad rod but it in my opinion, the Daiwa is the better rod. I find the rings on the Cadence too small & do not feel comfortable using a shockleader with it. The handle is also a bit short & it lacks the power of the Daiwa

Rickb

To be honest, i dont think i will be fishing with shock leaders.
I only tend to do that in Ireland and very very occasional natural still waters as i spend 99% of my time on rivers

jasonb

Account Locked
Rick, I would say there is nothing wrong with cadence feeder rods, I use both the 13ft and 14ft on the Wye and Thames and can't fault them. Yes the butt eye is close to the reel and the handle us short but that would only be a problem if I was casting distances...they are good work horse rods,

Rickb

Cheers Jason, work horse is what i need mate, arranged to go have a waggle with one at Evesham, if they have had the stock in on time for the show, i have to email again on Thursday to make sure they have come in.

Rickb

Well, just been to the evesham show and had a play with the cadence 13ft #3 feeder, tbh not impressed for a number of reasons including the push in tips being way to thin at the push in joint, plus it certainly lacked punch for any feeder over 35gm in my opinion, finish and quality also not up to the mark.
So carried on looking and found a daiwa castizm in the 12.6, this rod was a different tool to the 13.6 which i had borrowed from a friend and spot on for my needs, so thats what i went for.
Thanks for all your input gents