Daiwa 1657 DM

PearTree

Calder Exile
Site Supporter
The bail should open fully by just 'dabbing' it with the index finger of the hand holding the rod. You close it manually with your other hand.

I use mine on rivers and find the automatic bail arm more efficient than a manual one when you are constantly casting, running the float through and then retrieving it (hopefully with a fish on.....). As I said in a previous post there are far 'better' reels out there, but choices with automatic bail arms seem to be limited to the 1657M / DM or the Mitchell Match.

Tbh, if I was only fishing stillwaters and waiting for bites I would also probably choose a different reel.

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
Interesting thread. Definitely a "marmite" reel. How can it be that some people just love them and others hate them - given that we all have more or less the same requirements in a reel? What bugs me after the first use of the reel is the intermittent failure to release the bail arm.
Also - and you can call me dumb - when using the reel was the intention that we just press the bail arm and release it upon casting (ie like using a closed face reel?) Because mine definitely doesn't work that way. It's a two action process. First, whilst retaining the line, press the bail arm to release it, cast and then press the bail arm back into position. In this respect it's no different to any FS reel - just substituting pressing for manually pulling the bail arm open.
Am I missing something obvious or is the reel malfunctioning?
As @PearTree wrote, there is NO NEED to consciously retain the line. The line sits in the bail roller, so you "dab" the bail and then release the bail arm at the same point in the casting motion as you would release the line from your finger with any other fixed spool reel. Obviously - if the bail opening spring is not working 100% then you'll have a VERY frustrating day.

Personally - this style works really well for me (although I use the other model mentioned) as I always inspect the bait when i reel in. So I cast one-handed, whilst holding the line just above the hook. So if the bait does not need changing - then I can operate the reel one handed and speed the process up. I'm also inevitably trotting on rivers, so the bail arm does not get closed until after I hit a bite.
The bail should open fully by just 'dabbing' it with the index finger of the hand holding the rod. You close it manually with your other hand.

I use mine on rivers and find the automatic bail arm more efficient than a manual one when you are constantly casting, running the float through and then retrieving it (hopefully with a fish on.....). As I said in a previous post there are far 'better' reels out there, but choices with automatic bail arms seem to be limited to the 1657M / DM or the Mitchell Match.

Tbh, if I was only fishing stillwaters and waiting for bites I would also probably choose a different reel.
Ryobi mm200? Only other one I can think of.