Daiwa 1657 DM

Skridlov

I've now used this Daiwa for one day, on a lake in very balmy weather. I can see why it was sold "in near mint condition" - it's a horrible thing. I'm not clear how these were intended to be used. I'd assumed that they were supposed to function like a closed face reel - dab and hold the bale arm so that when casting it flies back, releasing the line. Well, mine certainly doesn't do that because no matter how hard you press the bale arm it stays put. Dabbing the bale arm firmly, having already trapped the line with a finger (exactly as you would with any conventional FS reel) it usually - usually - flies back enabling casting. That said it doesn't fly into a position where it 's completely clear of the outer spool edge although that doesn't obviously affect the cast. But far worse, quite often it only partially releases, making casting impossible. And yet worse, a further dab doesn't free it. Adding insult to injury it won't click back into the closed position unless you rotate the handle a bit after which you can reset it. Really the only way you can semi-reliably free the bale arm is by a sort of flick inward in which event it usually flies open. In what way this is superior to using a regular FS reel beats me.
Also, as recommended in many places I glued the bale arm roller to prevent it rotating, supposedly to prevent line twist. How and why this is a unique requirement for this reel alone is completely mysterious since the only way line can twist is for it to rotate repeatedly through 360 degrees - along at least part of its length. That no other FS reel with a bale roller exhibits the same fault defies understanding.
Other than that it's, er, just fine.
My search for a perfect float reel continues.
I've also posted the above in the thread on the Abu 507 where there is some discussion of this reel as comparable in use to closed face reels generally.

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
I've now used this Daiwa for one day, on a lake in very balmy weather. I can see why it was sold "in near mint condition" - it's a horrible thing. I'm not clear how these were intended to be used. I'd assumed that they were supposed to function like a closed face reel - dab and hold the bale arm so that when casting it flies back, releasing the line. Well, mine certainly doesn't do that because no matter how hard you press the bale arm it stays put. Dabbing the bale arm firmly, having already trapped the line with a finger (exactly as you would with any conventional FS reel) it usually - usually - flies back enabling casting. That said it doesn't fly into a position where it 's completely clear of the outer spool edge although that doesn't obviously affect the cast. But far worse, quite often it only partially releases, making casting impossible. And yet worse, a further dab doesn't free it. Adding insult to injury it won't click back into the closed position unless you rotate the handle a bit after which you can reset it. Really the only way you can semi-reliably free the bale arm is by a sort of flick inward in which event it usually flies open. In what way this is superior to using a regular FS reel beats me.
Also, as recommended in many places I glued the bale arm roller to prevent it rotating, supposedly to prevent line twist. How and why this is a unique requirement for this reel alone is completely mysterious since the only way line can twist is for it to rotate repeatedly through 360 degrees - along at least part of its length. That no other FS reel with a bale roller exhibits the same fault defies understanding.
Other than that it's, er, just fine.
My search for a perfect float reel continues.
I've also posted the above in the thread on the Abu 507 where there is some discussion of this reel as comparable in use to closed face reels generally.
There is a bail arm lock on the reel, is that slid down into the lock position.
I have been using one for well over 30 years with no problems,
I am on the lookout for another one.

IanG1

Site Supporter
Had one of these in the 90s, worst line lay on a reel I ever had. Bought for river waggler fishing but line constantly stuck when trying to trot, bayer or Maxima the lines to use then and still the same. Sold it after a month.

Last edited:

PearTree

Calder Exile
Site Supporter
If the bail arm lock is fully engaged then the bail arm wouldn’t open at all. It’s either partly engaged or there is a problem with the bail arm springs. If it’s working correctly it will sharply spring fully open with just a dab of the bail arm.

You close the bail arm manually.

There is no comparison between an Abu 500 series and any open face reel with an automatic bail arm, chalk and cheese. I haven’t used my 501s or 506 for 30+ years, although i still own them for old times sake 😍

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
I had one of these over thirty years ago. For a few years, I assumed I'd got a second hand pup. However, playing with new ones in shops didn't help much. It put me off all Daiwa reels until fairly recently. Modern Daiwa reels are generally pretty good. However, I wouldn't buy one of the 80s or early 90s retro models (whether brand new or not), or the long lived models dating back to then, with someone else's money.

PearTree

Calder Exile
Site Supporter
Had one of these in the 90s, worst line lay on a reel I ever had. Bought for river waggler fishing but line constantly stuck when trying to trot, bayer or Maxima the lines to use then and still the same. Sold it after a month.
This was a problem with the 500 series, especially with the old alloy spools, or if u put too much line on. I’ve never had line lay issues with the 1657DM. I still use Maxima, and latterly DH Pro Match on a couple of spools.

IanG1

Site Supporter
This was a problem with the 500 series, especially with the old alloy spools, or if u put too much line on. I’ve never had line lay issues with the 1657DM. I still use Maxima, and latterly DH Pro Match on a couple of spools.
Must have been me then, definitely not too much line, I also remember having line twist issues back then as the OP suggests. They weren't a cheap reel back in the early 90s but I just couldn't get on with it or make it work for the river waggler fishing I wanted to use it for. Maybe they have tweaked the design since then but there are better modern reels around and I don't feel I need an automatic bail arm to fish efficiently now days.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Strange. I’ve put Bayer, Maxima and recently Daiwa sensor on with no issues at all. Were some reels faulty perhaps ? My one has had a lot of abuse, never been serviced and still is very smooth. 🤷‍♂️

IanG1

Site Supporter
For the OP I am a fan of the original Shakespeare Superteam 35FD for my river stick and waggler fishing. No longer available unfortunately but a picked up a pair when they were being sold off and absolutely spot on for me.

PearTree

Calder Exile
Site Supporter
Definitely a bit of a marmite reel :sneaky:

The 1657DM works for me but I agree that most decent quality modern reels will be smoother, with wider spools and improved line lay. I still prefer an automatic bail arm though, particularly when on small fish, so my choices are limited.

I use 100m of line on them and I've never had any problems with the line getting stuck while trotting. The line lay could be better but I have put a small amount of backing permanently on each spool which has been 'profiled' to ensure the main line sits on it properly.

ravey

I had one a few years ago. Suffered awful line twist, and while the line lay wasn’t great, the line would be prevented from paying off smoothly because the broad lip of the graphite spools would get wet, and the line would stick enough to be an issue for me. I never really needed an auto bail, even though I had a spell using the Ryobi master match reels. My current reels are Daiwa 2503CUs, and they are a delight to use. Flawless line lay, a easy reach to the spool lip, and no twist. Can’t ask for any more from them.

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
Strange. I’ve put Bayer, Maxima and recently Daiwa sensor on with no issues at all. Were some reels faulty perhaps ? My one has had a lot of abuse, never been serviced and still is very smooth. 🤷‍♂️
Mick, mine has never been serviced in the 30+ years I have had it, It is the original 1657, not the one with push button fold in handle. Still gets plenty of use, mainly on the canal and a farm pool at the moment.
Not even glued the bail arm roller,
It's had various lines on it, none above 3lbs. And landed a low double carp using it with an original Haarison 13' gti spliced tip rod.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Mick, mine has never been serviced in the 30+ years I have had it, It is the original 1657, not the one with push button fold in handle. Still gets plenty of use, mainly on the canal and a farm pool at the moment.
It's had various lines on it, none above 3lbs. And landed a low double carp using it with an original Haarison 13' gti spliced tip rod.
Nope. Never touched my one either. I had to go dig it out. I’d forgot where I’d put it. Isn’t age brilliant ? ……….. Not. 🙄 06BFCE07-45C2-481D-B090-DC16C89EEEE5.jpeg

david07

Site Supporter
I'm still using three of these that I've had from new since they first came out in the late 80's when I bought them to replace my Mitchell Matches. Still love using them.
Regards, David.

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
Nope. Never touched my one either. I had to go dig it out. I’d forgot where I’d put it. Isn’t age brilliant ? ……….. Not. 🙄 06BFCE07-45C2-481D-B090-DC16C89EEEE5.jpeg
Yours is the folding handle model.
I will find mine and take a pic.

EDIT.......
Found the reel, mine is the 1657M
Not the DM, extra ball bearing in the dm and a folding handle.
Photo enclosed.
20210716_154134.jpg

Last edited:

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
I'm still using three of these that I've had from new since they first came out in the late 80's when I bought them to replace my Mitchell Matches. Still love using them.
Regards, David.
That would be around the time I got mine, Can't remember what I paid, but I think they were possibly around £40.
I bought a new Shimano pole, the reel a Daiwa canal wand which I still have, and a few bits and bobs , Paid cash so got a fair wedge knocked off the total price.

minkyandbear

Site Supporter
I have five of these reels and really enjoy using them. Three were bought new about 30 years ago and the others were acquired secondhand.

Because I have used them for years I am used to their "little ways". Mainly use them for trotting on the river but do also use them on stillwaters for waggler/slider work.

Couple of pictures of two of the beauts back in February silver fishing at Docklows, loaded with 2 1/2ln Maxima.

Attachments

• IMG_3087.JPG
    IMG_3087.JPG
    400.6 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_3088.JPG
    IMG_3088.JPG
    518.3 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_3090.JPG
    IMG_3090.JPG
    303.7 KB · Views: 9

Skridlov

Interesting thread. Definitely a "marmite" reel. How can it be that some people just love them and others hate them - given that we all have more or less the same requirements in a reel? What bugs me after the first use of the reel is the intermittent failure to release the bail arm.
Also - and you can call me dumb - when using the reel was the intention that we just press the bail arm and release it upon casting (ie like using a closed face reel?) Because mine definitely doesn't work that way. It's a two action process. First, whilst retaining the line, press the bail arm to release it, cast and then press the bail arm back into position. In this respect it's no different to any FS reel - just substituting pressing for manually pulling the bail arm open.
Am I missing something obvious or is the reel malfunctioning?