Daiwa 125M closed face reel

Status
Not open for further replies.

gibby

Our local tackle shop had a deal on these a few months ago and Ive since had a few sessions on both rivers and lakes with it, thought I would give a review.

On the plus side, its a touch lighter than my Abu 704 and the retrieve rate is a bit better. The pick up works fine with none of the sluggishness associated with the 704. When trotting it pays of line nicely, casts well and the line lay seems pretty good.

On the negative side, getting the winding cup and the spool off is a bit fiddly. Unlike the 704, there is no gear lock button you can press so you have to hold the handle in one hand and twist off with the other, which may, in time, strip the gears. I wasnt that impressed with the drag either. The 704 has the synchro system which means you can back wind a quarter turn to give line and then forward wind to tighten up when netting or if the fish runs towards a snag. The Daiwa has a fixed spool type rear drag, which is OK in principle, but unlike a fixed spool where you can control a run by finger pressure, the only way to do this on the 125 is to take your left hand off the reel handle and tighten up again. Ive had nothing over two pounds on the reel and wouldnt like to hook anything bigger when using it.

Fiinally, as opposed to to the 704 which is solidly constructed, the Daiwa 125 seems a little flimsy and insubstantial. I may be wrong, but I cant see it lasting for more than a couple of seasons.

In short, not a bad reel for tiddler bashing or light trotting where nothing big can be expected, but the 704 seems the better product.

On a personal point of view, given the improvement in quality of tackle over the past 10 or 20 years, cant the industry come up with a better closed face reel? Can it be that difficult to come up with something thats a bit lighter and has a better rate of retrieve?

al

the singing angler
mate theyll never better the 501 lol

Last edited by a moderator:

hemphead2

hemphead2
i had a 125m for a short period and all the insides fell to bits so i binned it and went back to my trusty 501 which has never let me down and still going strong.

dsr1

I recently bought a Daiwa 125.

I particularly like the way the line comes off the spool in a controlled fashion when you are trotting a float. No longer do I have problems when its windy. I also have not experienced any problems with the line 'sticking' after catching. My first fish of the new season on it was a 3lb chub, followed later by two trout, averaging about 1.75lbs each. All the fish gave a good account of themselves and yet after each fish the following 'trot down' was fine and line left the spool as it should.

To date I am very pleased with the 125 especially as last year I tried a pin but am sorry to say could not get on with it. I had no problem casting the pin but found the retrieve after a long trot slow and frustrating. The wind always seem to start blowing when i got the pin out of the bag, causing me numerous problems, so I find the closed face reel a huge improvement. (for me anyway)

David

mav617

I was disappointed with mine - not a patch on the Abu's or even the DAM CF.

T1Cybernetic

Had my 125 for years and had zero problems with it ;)

Simon R

Site Supporter
I prefer my trusty old 507 but the 125 (and its predecessor the 123) can't be bad reels - they've been in production since the late 70s.

I've had a play with one in the past and although there wasn't really anything wrong with it it just didn't quite feel as solid as my 507.

Simon

BHPenfold

Had 501,506,705, 125 and 125 in my time. The 125 is my reel of choice. The ABUs though still available from fleabay are too agricultural for me. The dual pickup on the 704 not totally reliable. The 125 is light, and on a light rod well suited. Yep the spool is fidly to get off, but I don't change it much and loaded with about 50m of Bayer I hardly ever get bedding in problems. It's ideal for stick float fishing, especially in the wind.

zhorian

I've had daiwa 123 (2 off) for around 25 years .... agree they seem light by comparison with abu's .... when the mood takes me I also fish with a 1044 ... heard rumours of 'gear problems' but nowt wrong with mine ... biggest fish tho only 6lb bream ... I'll let y'all know if my daiwa's fail ...

Paul_E14

I've also had a 125 for, must be well over 15 years now without any problems although it does feel a bit loose now.

thedoggler

My first reel was a 123m and it was brilliant. Got a 125m a few years later and was mildly disappointed. Recently got a mint condition Abu 1044 off eBay and it blew the Daiwas away in my opinion. Why can't they do the same with open-faced reels?

minkyandbear

Site Supporter
Had mine for 20 years with no problems. One of my favourite reels[:D] Mine was made in Japan so perhaps the later ones are made elsewhere and are of a poorer quality??

tigger

Account Locked
Originally posted by al

mate theyll never better the 501 lol

Second that, gotta be the best closed faced reel ever produced.

oxytetra

I used the 125 for about 3 sessions then it broke...I put the spool on, put the next bit on, then I can't wind, it's all very stiff. It is now in the holding area before it goes in the bin. Not very impressed.

sally

Hi folks I use a 704 and have never used or seen any other closed face in use, the problem I get is the line going round the button and I don't know why. On a match recently I saw a ABU cte 135 for the first time they look and feel heavy to me are they any good as I would like to get a new closed face reel.

Snakesteve

Hi all i've had my 125m now for about 4 years found it to be one of the best reels i have ever used, i use it with a 14foot Shimano Hyperloop rod and i find the combination brilliant. Have caught upto a 8 pound carp with this rod and reel combo with 2pound line and size 18 hook. Brilliant Reel.[:D]

Status
Not open for further replies.