Daft or what.

CarpCatcher86

I would avoid slime inner tubes or adding slime to inner tubes for two reasons.
They only work with small punctures, you can end up with things like thorns, nails and bits of glass stuck in your tyres and not even know about it, which won't help you in the grip department. Also they add a load of extra weight to your wheels which is never a good thing on a bike. Unless you are a cheating ebiker. Regardless of what you use a bike for, the last thing you want is extra weight on any rotating part.

OldTaff

Site Supporter
Had a few negative experiences with slime when I was commuting by bike but did invest in a set of Kevlar belted tyres for my road bike and it made a massive difference to my puncture rate more than justifying their extra cost.

spanky

Irregular Member
Site Supporter
For puncture protection I use these on my leisure bike:

1628018221486.png

and something like these on my road bike (they've update the range lately, so cannot find the exact one I have fitted):

1628018580336.png

The Schwalbe's are amazing - the blue layer is thick enough to take a drawing pin and not let it through. It hard wearing and I've not had a puncture on these... but they are hard to fit and would be difficult to remove on the side of the road.

The continentals are good, the vectran layer helps reduce punctures, but you still get a few - I reckon less than one per 1000 miles ridden.

BBear

Site Supporter
Or go the whole hog and go tubeless. Went tubeless on my mountain bike around three years ago and havenā€™t had a puncture since (touch wood). Used to get loads. Bit of a faff setting it up though.