Daft idea about extending a margin pole?

Griffo

Site Supporter
So I have a matrix mtx 8.7mtr margin pole, most of my pond fishing is margin to 10mtrs to be honest, any mtx no 7 section will fit into the butt section which gives me a 10mtr pole, what I don’t know is if another pole butt section for the margin pole will also fit it, the butt section is in effect a mtx no6, so will another number six fit a number six? Also a spare butt section is £42 and more solid than any other mtx no7, which cost £145?

does any one follow my rambling and any idea if a section six will fit a six?

ta in advance, l have lost the plot thinking about it Griffo

JLK

Just ring up your local shop and ask them to try it. Will save you loads of time guessing. 👍🏻

rudd

Serial Blanker
Site Supporter
Most modern poles butt sections should be parallel-IE can fit each other.
My 13,14.5 and 16m sections are all the same, just have different graphics.

JLK

FYI. Mine aren't.
Just the 16m sections are parallel and that was the same on my last three 'modern' poles.

JLK

Well if you'd have said in your post that you'd already asked the local shop I wouldn't have stated the obvious would I. 🤷🏻‍♂️
It appears you don't have a very accomodating local shop. I guess I'm lucky in that mine would have found out for me.
Anyway. Good luck in your quest. 👍🏻

Nicky Dodds

Measure the outside diameter of the No6 male end and the inside diameter of the female end. It might not be exact but it will possibly give you a rough idea.

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
I look at this from a different angle.

It is extremely rare that I fish the margins much past 5 metres and most often at topkit plus one. At 10 I would most likely be encroaching on the adjacent angler's swim. Why not therefore fish within the limits of your pole?

Griffo

Site Supporter
I look at this from a different angle.

It is extremely rare that I fish the margins much past 5 metres and most often at topkit plus one. At 10 I would most likely be encroaching on the adjacent angler's swim. Why not therefore fish within the limits of your pole?
Appreciate that, might not have been totally clear, fishing down the margins yep 5,6 meters probably most, fishing out from the margin no more than 10 mtrs for anything else, would just be nice to fish all given situations with the one cheaper pole I already have.

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
I would say no, it would have to be a parallel number 6,
It is a standard tapered 6 on the margin pole the same as the mtx long poles . Then tapered 7 , 8 etc.
I would think you will have to either buy an mtx number 7 which is more or less half the price of the margin pole ,so would that be a viable option ,? , or try and find a section of another pole to act as an extension .

davej1981

I would say no, it would have to be a parallel number 6,
It is a standard tapered 6 on the margin pole the same as the mtx long poles . Then tapered 7 , 8 etc.
I would think you will have to either buy an mtx number 7 which is more or less half the price of the margin pole ,so would that be a viable option ,? , or try and find a section of another pole to act as an extension .
My old pole i use for carp the shop just tried some butt sections from other poles that fit, this was 25 years ago tho. Its a Shakespeare pole with a normark butt to take it to 14m, dont think ive ever used it tbh

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
My old pole i use for carp the shop just tried some butt sections from other poles that fit, this was 25 years ago tho. Its a Shakespeare pole with a normark butt to take it to 14m, dont think ive ever used it tbh
I am using Acolyte dolly butts on my Daiwa G50 , perfect fit on the sections I use them on .

Pyffy

Site Supporter
So I have a matrix mtx 8.7mtr margin pole, most of my pond fishing is margin to 10mtrs to be honest, any mtx no 7 section will fit into the butt section which gives me a 10mtr pole, what I don’t know is if another pole butt section for the margin pole will also fit it, the butt section is in effect a mtx no6, so will another number six fit a number six? Also a spare butt section is £42 and more solid than any other mtx no7, which cost £145?

does any one follow my rambling and any idea if a section six will fit a six?

ta in advance, l have lost the plot thinking about it Griffo
Bobco have an MTX2 no 7 section in stock at £99.99 Matrix MTX2 Section 7
This should fit the margin pole as all the MTX range are based on the same mandrel. I have an MTX 3 and have popped the no 7 up the back end of the no 6 on my MTX margin pole a couple of times for a little extra reach with no issues. Plus I dropped my MTX3 no 6 section on a rock and dinked it and used the Margin No6 section whilst waiting to do a repair.

Griffo

Site Supporter
Well nipped around to visit a mate, who has an MTX4 (funny for some reason he did the trying lol) yep 7 fits fine as people have said, the six in to a six well that’s a strange one you end up with about a 600m extension and it’s a touch fit at a point not the end surface area , so thanks Pyffy for spotting the deal at Bobco that will do for me.

Pyffy

Site Supporter
Well nipped around to visit a mate, who has an MTX4 (funny for some reason he did the trying lol) yep 7 fits fine as people have said, the six in to a six well that’s a strange one you end up with about a 600m extension and it’s a touch fit at a point not the end surface area , so thanks Pyffy for spotting the deal at Bobco that will do for me.
You’re welcome, I’m glad you’ve got it sorted.I love my mtx3 for most of my fishing but the margin pole is a great bit of kit for munter hunting down the edge 👍